Singapore

Advise on second hand filter media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys

I will getting my new tank set with a second hand ehiem 2224 on wed

My question is there will be used media like Bio ring. Just wondering is it safe to reuse it for shrimp. If I want to use them, how do I wash them or I do not need to wash it and let it cycle?

I know that used media are good to a extent as there are already bacteria colony in it.

Thank

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advise on second hand filter media

Actually I dun know how long the bacteria will last without circulation. Might be dead by the time you bring home and set up.
    If thats the case. You need to wash to get rid of the dead bateria so that new bateria and grow.
    Well if it's second hand. better if you ask the owner. But should be ok to reuse media unless he spray insecticide in it haha.
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bb can last few hours given able to "breath" a little...
    but i will rather wash them... who knows what came with it (no offence to the selling person)

If you have a snail infestation example... free smails LOL....
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    So if the seller has already left it to dry somewhere. I wonder if it's still living. Any clue?
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank for the quick reply

I think the bacteria is been left there for quite sometime ... so do you suggest i clean it clean .. Or just add some BT-9 with the existing things and let it cycle? I wonder how long should i cycle?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wash it with tap water, and let it sun dry. Then you can re-use it in the filter and undergo the cycling process. The bacteria will start dying if there is no flow of water through the filter. They require oxygen to survive and will die quickly without a supply of it. If the media has sat too long in the chamber in the transfer process, it is a good idea to clean it properly. There is no way to gauge how long cycling will last, so patience is crucial.

If you intend to keep shrimps and do not want them to die easily, it is advisable to be patient. If you rush things, they might end up dying and you'll be looking at a disaster.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you guys for your great help =)

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Wash it with tap water, and let it sun dry. Then you can re-use it in the filter and undergo the cycling process. The bacteria will start dying if there is no flow of water through the filter. They require oxygen to survive and will die quickly without a supply of it. If the media has sat too long in the chamber in the transfer process, it is a good idea to clean it properly. There is no way to gauge how long cycling will last, so patience is crucial.

If you intend to keep shrimps and do not want them to die easily, it is advisable to be patient. If you rush things, they might end up dying and you'll be looking at a disaster.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    What i always do is to wash the media using hot tap water then soak them for an hour or two followed by soaking them in treated (dechlorinated ) water before bringing it out to sun dry/air dry..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thank for your reply

Just wondering why do you need to soak it in decholrinated water? How long do you need to sun it ?

Quote Originally Posted by leefhker View Post
    What i always do is to wash the media using hot tap water then soak them for an hour or two followed by soaking them in treated (dechlorinated ) water before bringing it out to sun dry/air dry..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chansl View Post
    thank for your reply

Just wondering why do you need to soak it in decholrinated water? How long do you need to sun it ?
    i soak in dechlrinated water to sort of lower the chlorine concentration that is left behind in the media(however little it is) because previously hot tapwater( tapwater contains minute amount of chlorine) is used to kill whatever that is undesirable in the media as well as to expand the pores of the media itself..

and i usually sun/air dry it whereby it looks and feels dry before i use it.. i am a rather 'be safe than sorry' guy so i won't advise you to use uncleaned canister or media..

and anything including the nitrifying bacteria will already die off so do re-cycle the canister again..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's quite kiasu.
    Hot water and sub dry is what I normally do. Rather it's warm water to be telling the truth.
    Think chlorine removal optional IMHO. Since when you dry it should all go.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    That's quite kiasu.
    Hot water and sub dry is what I normally do. Rather it's warm water to be telling the truth.
    Think chlorine removal optional IMHO. Since when you dry it should all go.
    yup, that part of soaking in dechlorinated water can be optional, but just to be safe though.. if you are in a rush to use the media i think you can skip that step and proceed to the next.
    I don't know about others but for my heater the water can be very hot to the extent steam can be seen when the water exits the shower head..estimated temperature should be around 60-70deg C
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you guys so much for your reply

After i clean everything, how long do i need to cycle ? New tank with Mosura BT-9, some liquid bacteria and old mud soil with bio ring. Please advise ?

Thank you ! Tank is coming tomorrow ! woo hoo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Under no circumstances should you instantly let the filter run, even if it was for a short while from the buyer's house to yours. The water that comes out can be filthy and will contain ammonia from the dead or dying bacteria.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thank you for your help

How long do i need to cycle with the help of bio ring and Bt-9 ?

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Under no circumstances should you instantly let the filter run, even if it was for a short while from the buyer's house to yours. The water that comes out can be filthy and will contain ammonia from the dead or dying bacteria.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

as with many advice from other forum members,

i believe you should get test kits, for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia.

the day you reach 0 and 0 for nitrite and ammonia, you should do water change. at the same time monitor nitrate levels.

once you reach 0,0,0 for all 3, i believe you can add livestock into your tank. the duration really depends, i have read tanks that are ready in 1week, and also 2months... mine took almost 2months to cycle properly (of course i learn it the hardway, lost some livestock when i didn't let the tank cycle completely)

anyone please fill free to add or correct if i made a mistake.
    Ian
    fish: discus/endlers
    new addition::: CRS advanture

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I never used BT-9 before, nor those Bio Ring things. I just squeeze some gunk from an old existing filter to seed my new filter with bacteria. How long it takes to cycle is unknown and it varies. Once your nitrite and ammonia are at safe levels, you can add your fish. The plants will take care of the nitrates. If you have no plants then regular water changes will be necessary in the long term.