Country
    Singapore

How to Cut Stem Plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,
    I am having this problem. I know there are postings discussing this already, but there are still some questions I need answered.
    Ok, as have been mentioned in the other postings, I know the best way is to uproot and re-plant the plants,

1. but what about fast growing plants like rotala? It's growing so fast that I can't possibly be doing this every other month.

2. If I were to uproot and only relant the top, won't it go back to square one? Won't I then have to wait till the plant establish its roots again, and thus have to re-adjust fertilizer regime, lighting, CO2 etc etc again?

3. I have seen shops with nice layout and I don't think they cut and replant all the time right?

4. So, if I simply want to cut (not up-root and replant) what is the best way. I have been cutting my rotala and new sideshoots appear where I cut and thus creating too big a bush.

Please help.

Thanks so much! []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, that's the problem with fast growing stem plants.

Maybe you can alternate between uprooting and routine snipping every other month? Yes - it takes a while for fresh cuttings to develop roots. But isn't that good? No trimming for a while.

And I don't think you need to readjust your fertilisation regime.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Q. How to cut stem plants?

A. With scissors.

Seriously though, it is far easier to prune stem plants than uproot/replant every time they grow too big. You will want to consider your planting technique and how it will effect pruning - I find it is easiest to plant species such as Rotala indica one stem at a time rather than in bunches. Leave enough space between stems so that when you trim (trim quite low) the resulting side shoots that form will create a bunch-like effect. Other plants such as Ludwigia arcuata & Didiplis diandra work well when planted like this.

Micranthemum umbrosum is a plant that does not like being uprooted and replanted. Unfortunately it is also a plant that tends to get ratty around the base of the stem after a while, which indicates time for a replant.

Careful observation of your stem plants after trimming or replanting will help you find out what works best for you as there is a degree of personal preferance involved.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi!
    I have didiplis and am having a problem. It seems that the lower half has almost no more leaves and the plants seems to be anchored by roots (somewhat like kites).
    Is this common for didiplis?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes - quite a number of stem plants have a lot of roots at the base. And it makes it look like the roots are holding it down.

So, once in a while, you have to replant the healthy top cuttings of such plants.

To prevent the unsightly roots from being seen, you can:
    - place some shorter plants in front
    - add a driftwood/stone etc.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally I would cut the top away and leaving about 10cm of the base with some leaves anchored to the soil, then they start to develope multiple shoots out from the main stem. This makes the plot of plants look bushier. Once in a while, I do pluck out the main stem and replant the new shoots to ensure healthy growth.

Cheers
    Vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh