Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Rid moss of algae & snail (with their eggs) before transferring to new tank?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Rid moss of algae & snail (with their eggs) before transferring to new tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellows, gonna transfer some driftwood with Java moss planted on them from an old tank to a new tank. There's algae & snails (along with their eggs) thriving on them driftwood currently. Before I transfer to the new tank, I will prefer to rid these pieces of driftwood of as much "vermin" as possible. May I:

Qn1) soak them driftwood in flourish excel mixed with chlorinated (yes, I hope the untreated water will kill everything but the plant) water for 20mins, then soak with hydrogen peroxide for 20mins, then soak them in potassium permanganate for another 20mins? My fear is that the moss cannot take it, but this is Java moss after all; but! there's a few bunch of nanas tied to it as well. Basically it's these exact 4 pieces of driftwood as shown in the photo below:

p1000002_processed1.jpg

Qn2) I have some java ferns that aren't tied to driftwood, but it's from the same old tank. May I subject them to the same "intensive" treatment?

N.B. I do want to keep them plants alive though, for the new tank.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rid moss of algae & snail (with their eggs) before transferring to new tank?

The moss might be weakened. Not sure if it is going to survive the ordeal.

The ferns should be fine. They are quite hardy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rid moss of algae & snail (with their eggs) before transferring to new tank?

snails? = puffer fish? alge? = SAE?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quite extreme... moss may not survive well after the Excel+HP treatment.
    Nana and ferns have thicker stronger leaves, shouldn't be a problem..
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zex1478 View Post
    Agree with you
    I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    The moss might be weakened. Not sure if it is going to survive the ordeal.

The ferns should be fine. They are quite hardy.
    Just an update, did a H2O2 dip for around 15mins (& no potassium permanganate dip), but I suppose the in-&-out-of-water experience ( I was transporting the driftwoods here & there) may have dealt a serious blow, i.e. after my new tank is flooded, my moss are turning white (okay, a very pale, unhealthy-looking green) & the nanas' have leaves that appear severely damaged. only time will tell if the nanas can grow new leaves from a surviving rhizome; I'm not too worried about the Java moss though, as they always fight back steadily. Can't tell the damage taken by the Java fern (from the H2O2 dip). Only time will tell.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zex1478 View Post
    Those driftwood with plants tied were placed in transit in a bucket of uncycled water for a short period only; inconvenient for me to introduce such "organic" solutions in this case. Even after re-introducing the driftwood & ferns to the new tank, that's still uncycled for the next few weeks. However, I suppose the assassin snails & SAE will be likely to work if I'm trying to solve the problem in an established tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You might want to read this link for snail eradication from plants. I don't know if it will remove algae though:

http://www.applesnail.net/content/va...radication.htm

Going with a two step approach is a little extreme. If you don't want the moss to carry algae into the tank, after the PP bath, rinse it well then keep it in a quarantine tank with some Amano shrimps or some other algae eating fish like a young SAE. Should there be any algae, these shrimps or fish will get rid of it and once cleared, you can place the moss in your actual tank.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

algae will also come back just add some algae eater to do the job. u can also add a assassin snail to take care of those pond snail.