Images
    Country
    Singapore

Setting up a new shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a new 30x11x20 cm tank. Tried to keep shrimps but failed. So I am going to redo the setup. Need help on what to get. I currently have filter, plants and driftwood, soil. These stuff have been used in my first attempt but failed. Need to know if I can use them back or do I have to get new ones. Especially the soil. Can soil be reused?

Also I need to know what sort of anti chlorine to get and what other chemicals or stuff do I need. If possible can let me know the prices too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Setting up a new shrimp tank

lol what you need is a dictionary of shrimps. haha If I were to go into this. It will be a composition.

Advise to you
    Keep hardier shrimps example cherry/yellow shrimps.
    get a 2ft tank. 1ft parameter very unstable and for beginners very hard to control. Get above 2ft less problems. GEX acrylic tank I bought was $30 only. Alot of bro also selling secondhand one.

Plants: what plants? Best not to use ferts in shrimp tank. some are deadly.

soil: what soil? most soils should be can.

Have you get all the test kit needed? GH,KH,TDS,PH,Ammonia,nitrate,nitrite.

Have you read about the parameters the shrimp need to be in? depend on the type of shrimps you intend to keep. Sulawesi shrimp need high ph so soil not needed but most other shirmps you see in the LFS need acidic ph. Go read more on the type of shrimps you want to keep and learn get the parameter right.
    I think the main reason newbie fail in keeping shrimp first time is because they neglect cycling the tank.
    It's important to cycle your tank for 1month before putting in any livestocks due to the fact, you need time to build up your bateria colony to handle ammonia.
    go google nitrogen cycle.

I would not suggest you to use a 1ft tank as you seems to be unsure of what you doing. To maintain a 1ft shrimp tank takes skills.
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi Leonhwr, what Shrimps are you looking at? Different shrimps have different requirements to take note of.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Leonhwr, maybe you want to read up more in the invertebrate corner.
    Especially the stickies in the thread.

If not you can check out the below;
    How to setup shrimp tank - http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn_v.php?aid=36&topic=1
    Regards to water perimeters - http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn_v.php?aid=39&topic=1

Additional info check out my thread to help you with setup and cost of items?
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...g-my-CRS-setup

Hope the above info helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure about the filter part. I don't really understand what the canister is for. Doesn't buying a filter like a hang over filter already filters the water? So a canister is an extra filter connected to the HOF? I have test kits API 5 in 1 quick test one. Will be keeping sakuras all that. Beginner shrimps. Tank will be 1 ft - 2 ft.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Leonhwr View Post
    I'm not sure about the filter part. I don't really understand what the canister is for. Doesn't buying a filter like a hang over filter already filters the water? So a canister is an extra filter connected to the HOF? I have test kits API 5 in 1 quick test one. Will be keeping sakuras all that. Beginner shrimps. Tank will be 1 ft - 2 ft.
    If you getting a Cannister Filter, you won't need the Hang-on "waterfall" filter anymore as the former is able to handle higher bioload @ faster flow rate. The advantages of using a Cannister over the Hang-on is that you may put in more filter media (ceramic rings, coral chips, bioballs etc) into the compartments of the filter to enable a good colony of BB to thrive. Maintaining (cleaning) of the Cannister also less frequent as compared to Hang-on ones... Disadvantages wise will be it's more bulky & hence needs a bigger space to house it & also more of an eyesore if you don't have those cabinet to hide it... and it cost a bit more also (but you can watch out for 2nd hands ones in AQ marketplace if you don't mind...)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I see thanks alot for your help. I'll head down to Seaview on Tmr and check out the prices. Get eheim one is it? Lol. Like popular ah this brand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Btw don't wash the canister right? Or else te bacteria will be gone?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Btw don't wash the canister right? Or else te bacteria will be gone?
    Eheim is a good and reliable brand but will burn a bigger hole in one's pocket compared to other brands...

You mean don't wash the NEW canister? No, if NEW one MUST wash including the filter media. If 2nd-hands one, better to give it a rinse & light scrub with old tank water also... (But if 2nd hand one is bought & stopped immediately, then can restart the filter in your tank without washing if it wasn't off too long as the BBs inside should still be alive - but do look out for the condition of the tank in which the 2nd hand filter was taken out from...)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry what I meant was like say I buy new one then use alr for long time then wash the filter. Inside got BB so wash alr they gone right? Cos I read that cannot wash or something.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh I see... Just use some existing water from your tank to rinse the media fast & then set it back up & run it in your tank again...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I see. Thanks alot. Haha. Treat u drink coffee next time!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Leonhwr,

IMO, Canister filter is better than HOF. I've spent alot of maintenance time on the HOF.
    For canister, Eheim is a good brand and Fluval too. I'm using both Fluval 304 and Eheim 2213. I can say, both are energy saving. Like the Eheim 2213, it operates at 8Watts. Fluval 304 operates at 12Watts. In long term, can save on electricity bills since you're turning it on for 24-7.

It is expensive but you can buy it from some bros here who are selling. Pre-owned price can be as low as half of the original price and if you're lucky, can get a very good working condition one. Of course, you may request to test it if you're interested to buy from the seller. =)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I see how much would it cost for a new one. Small one preferably for a small tank. 2 ft one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I see how much would it cost for a new one. Small one preferably for a small tank. 2 ft one.

Once u start u never stop hahs
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You may look at http://www.eheim.asia/prod_e_extfilter_classic.html

The classic 250 (Eheim 2213) cost about $114 at seaview (if i can remember). Not sure if there is 15% discount on this product or not. If u buy pre-owned, its definitely lesser than that! =)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Neondagger View Post
    Once u start u never stop hahs
    Haha... agree! Its addictive! Lol....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

check with several LFS first before plunging in...some can be cheaper by $20 depending on model

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

for a 2 feet tank what model shd i get?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I bought an Eheim Ecco Pro 130 for my 40cm cube. 500l/hr - only 5W power comsumption. Should be sufficient for yours too I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast