Country
    Singapore

Emergency setup of a shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

i got some Sakura and Cherry shrimps that i rear inside the breeder box together with my guppy fry. And this box is inside my big tank which is ammonia free and temperature is constant 28 deg.

I got no intention to breed small shrimps but just to rear them. So far all are well, and only a few died.

The problem is, i got 2 Sakuras pregnant. I need to transfer them out and let them have a better place to stay. I am preparing another tank for my shrimps and got a few questions to ask.

1) For my shrimp tank, can i use fertilizer and soil at the bottom? I got future plans of growning some plants below it so that the Sakura can rest on it.

2) Is it ok for Sakura to live with my guppy fry? So that i can remove the breeder box. And the guppy fry, when grow up, i can also put it back to the main tank.

3) How do i hatch the shrimp eggs? Do i need to have a special cove or cave for the shrimps to lay eggs inside?

Thanks alot for reading and answer my questions!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Emergency setup of a shrimp tank

Yes, guppy fry are compatible with shrimps.
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps do not lay eggs in caves. In fact, when you say they're "pregnant", they had already laid their eggs.
    More correctly, we say they're "berried". This means that they had laid and attached their eggs to their swimming legs. When they swim, the eggs are "fanned" to improve water circulation, remove waste, prevent mold and provide oxygenated water to the eggs.

The babies shrimps will eventually hatch directly from there and jump away from the mommy shrimp.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you Kennethc and Navarod!

Wow! I now then know berried shrimps actually carry their eggs around!
    Cos from the side view, it seems like their tummy very big and its very clear that i can see some eggs in it. Its like yellow in colour.
    Okie, shall proceed to setup my shrimp tank with ease. =)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Most welcome. Go forth and populate that new tank!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Hi guys,

i got some Sakura and Cherry shrimps that i rear inside the breeder box together with my guppy fry. And this box is inside my big tank which is ammonia free and temperature is constant 28 deg.

I got no intention to breed small shrimps but just to rear them. So far all are well, and only a few died.

The problem is, i got 2 Sakuras pregnant. I need to transfer them out and let them have a better place to stay. I am preparing another tank for my shrimps and got a few questions to ask.

1) For my shrimp tank, can i use fertilizer and soil at the bottom? I got future plans of growning some plants below it so that the Sakura can rest on it.

2) Is it ok for Sakura to live with my guppy fry? So that i can remove the breeder box. And the guppy fry, when grow up, i can also put it back to the main tank.

3) How do i hatch the shrimp eggs? Do i need to have a special cove or cave for the shrimps to lay eggs inside?

Thanks alot for reading and answer my questions!
    1. For fertilisers check to see product reviews for whether will harm shrimps as not all is safe for shrimps.
    2. Best not keep shrimps with fishes. no matter how small, fishes will get itchy mouth one day and try to nibble/eat the shrimps/shrimplets especially when during moulting.
    3. Seconded to Novanod's reply to it.
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you Kennethc and Navarod!

Wow! I now then know berried shrimps actually carry their eggs around!
    Cos from the side view, it seems like their tummy very big and its very clear that i can see some eggs in it. Its like yellow in colour.
    Okie, shall proceed to setup my shrimp tank with ease. =)
    Remember to cycle the tank first before adding shrimps, many have failed to remember this step and cause lots of killings in the tank...
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi icefire,
    Noted your guidelines! Thanks alot!

Ya... will cycle the tank for a few weeks using the existing main tank water and some fresh aged water. =)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi icefire,
    Noted your guidelines! Thanks alot!

Ya... will cycle the tank for a few weeks using the existing main tank water and some fresh aged water. =)
    Hi bro,

congrats on your Sakura being berried. Do you notice any tiny black dots (their eyes) on the eggs yet? If yes, they should be hatching into tiny shrimplets soon... You may keep them with guppy fries @ the time being... However, once the guppy fries grow bigger, better to seperate them in case the shrimplets end up as fish food... Try to throw in a dense amount of moss into your breeder box in the meanwhile for the shrimplets to hide once they hatch.

Regards.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Hi bro,

congrats on your Sakura being berried. Do you notice any tiny black dots (their eyes) on the eggs yet? If yes, they should be hatching into tiny shrimplets soon... You may keep them with guppy fries @ the time being... However, once the guppy fries grow bigger, better to seperate them in case the shrimplets end up as fish food... Try to throw in a dense amount of moss into your breeder box in the meanwhile for the shrimplets to hide once they hatch.

Regards.
    Hey bro, thanks alot for your guidance! So far not able to see any black dots yet. Unfortunately, one of the preggy died and i extracted the eggs, trying to do artifical hatching. Have you tried this method before? I read an artical on this and it was successful but not 100%. Some eggs cannot survive. But i do hope it works.

For the rest of the 2 preggy, they are still living good! Still waiting for the Cherry shrimps to grow up... =)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hey bro, thanks alot for your guidance! So far not able to see any black dots yet. Unfortunately, one of the preggy died and i extracted the eggs, trying to do artifical hatching. Have you tried this method before? I read an artical on this and it was successful but not 100%. Some eggs cannot survive. But i do hope it works.

For the rest of the 2 preggy, they are still living good! Still waiting for the Cherry shrimps to grow up... =)
    Hi, sadden about the loss of 01 berried Sakura....

Have done something like this before and was luckily able to hatch just a few shrimplets out of the whole bunch... Must make sure that you keep a lookout for any eggs that had gone bad & turned mouldy - must remove from the rest in the bunch before the mould spread... Housed the taken out eggs in my breeder box with additional pump & diffuser in it... A lot of work, but glad that managed to let few pieces hatch...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Hi, sadden about the loss of 01 berried Sakura....

Have done something like this before and was luckily able to hatch just a few shrimplets out of the whole bunch... Must make sure that you keep a lookout for any eggs that had gone bad & turned mouldy - must remove from the rest in the bunch before the mould spread... Housed the taken out eggs in my breeder box with additional pump & diffuser in it... A lot of work, but glad that managed to let few pieces hatch...
    Oh, so those eggs with mold are already dead? I read on the article to use a dropper to spray the water at the eggs so that there are some air circulation and 75% water change for every 3 days. Do you have any other tips that i can learn from?