Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just to share my noob tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, this is my failed at growing HC tank. LOL!

Feel free to comment!
    Maybe some advise on how to improve it

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Too little plants?
    Try hairgrass IMHO will work better.
    What's the specs?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Just to share my noob tank

In my opinion, I think you just need to re-organize the plants and you'll be good to go again. Not failed yet, plants need time to grow and mature.

Firstly, I think to tidy up the look, get some Oyama Sticker for the backdrop as well as to hide all the wiring and whatnots. The taller plants such as hornworts, place them together either in a corner (can be used to hide air-stone/inlet pipe) or behind the rock. Since in planted tank, we do seldom go for symmetrical layout, the rock can be placed off center? Or parked near the rear corners?

What you'll need to add on to the tank are some mid-ground & background plants to make it more complete.

Once those are settled, your foreground HC can be re-grouped to either left or right of tank? Not too closely packed to allow for plant growth. OR another concept is to sparsely plant them across the empty areas in the tank in small groups.

Just suggesting based on using what you have currently with minimal purchases.
    Shrimps Watching.
    Voted No.1 as Stress Reliever & Anti-Depressant.

Fine prints: Please learn to keep them alive successfully before applying.

http://shrimpsredefined.wordpress.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    In my opinion, I think you just need to re-organize the plants and you'll be good to go again. Not failed yet, plants need time to grow and mature.

Firstly, I think to tidy up the look, get some Oyama Sticker for the backdrop as well as to hide all the wiring and whatnots. The taller plants such as hornworts, place them together either in a corner (can be used to hide air-stone/inlet pipe) or behind the rock. Since in planted tank, we do seldom go for symmetrical layout, the rock can be placed off center? Or parked near the rear corners?

What you'll need to add on to the tank are some mid-ground & background plants to make it more complete.

Once those are settled, your foreground HC can be re-grouped to either left or right of tank? Not too closely packed to allow for plant growth. OR another concept is to sparsely plant them across the empty areas in the tank in small groups.

Just suggesting based on using what you have currently with minimal purchases.
    Thanks for the input bro, where can i buy this oyama sticker?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Too little plants?
    Try hairgrass IMHO will work better.
    What's the specs?
    You mean water parameters?
    pH:6.5
    gH:3
    kH:5

temperature about 28 constant

Hardly see any hairgrass in lfs

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oyama just see outside c328,Need tell uncle or aunty you need. If NA it is at the cashier.

I actually mean lights and filtration.
    Hc grows a tad slow in low tech, so results can take long. The reason I suggest hairgrass is due to that.
    Glosso also ok, but not sure why people say leaves too big (IMO, cannot take best of both worlds. Good beginner plant/small leaf and pettie lawn when in low tech)

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There is a monkey figurine in the center of the tank on top of your stone. What is that for? As a decoration?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oyama just see outside c328,Need tell uncle or aunty you need. If NA it is at the cashier.

I actually mean lights and filtration.
    Hc grows a tad slow in low tech, so results can take long. The reason I suggest hairgrass is due to that.
    Glosso also ok, but not sure why people say leaves too big (IMO, cannot take best of both worlds. Good beginner plant/small leaf and pettie lawn when in low tech)
    Filter wise i'm using a eheim 2213 and lights i don't really know what type is it.
    I think pretty low tech, actually i'm not so concern about the plants, more like the health of the shrimps, the shrimps just nimble on the HC all day. They look pretty healthy to me?

the figurine at the top of the rock is 'god of wealth' LOL! i removed it though afraid that it might harm them

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One small pointer bro. Hornworts are floating plants without roots and will not grip the soil unless you tie a weight to it as far as I can tell.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hairgrass is cool when it cover your whole ground.. but they need high light and cooler water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does hairgrass need high light? Because i think my lighting is only mediocre..

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. For hair grass to grow fast & green you need high lighting + some ferts. But they can still grow & multiply in shoots with low tech if you do not mind them being not as green with fair bit of browning for more of an Autumn/Fall kinda look.
    Shrimps Watching.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey my HC is being up rooted by my oto i think, he is in a frenzy swimming around all the time. Is there a plant that carpets without much requirements?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hard to find any low tech carpeting plants. Plants that are small or with tiny leaves just require more light/CO2 to survive (lesser surface area = higher intensity).
    Shrimps Watching.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How long the setup has been? Hc has be known to be very very very slow growing in low tech. Matt is kinda correct in some sense.

FYI even my own few weeks old low tech tank with glosso and hc has awfully slow grow on hc. 2 feet T5 (2 old tubes haha) hc rooting still , glosso just slowly crawling.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long the setup has been? Hc has be known to be very very very slow growing in low tech. Matt is kinda correct in some sense.

FYI even my own few weeks old low tech tank with glosso and hc has awfully slow grow on hc. 2 feet T5 (2 old tubes haha) hc rooting still , glosso just slowly crawling.
    Probably about 3weeks. What i notice is that my shrimps actually pull the HC out of the soil and nimble on it. And when the shrimps fight on them, they make a mess. I keep having HC floating at the top of my tank when i get home.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by deone View Post
    You mean water parameters?
    pH:6.5
    gH:3
    kH:5

temperature about 28 constant

Hardly see any hairgrass in lfs
    Y is your kH so high? Is it safe? Anybody knows ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by huizhong View Post
    Y is your kH so high? Is it safe? Anybody knows ?
    I don't know? Maybe because i have a rock in my tank? Is this ok?
    Maybe I should test my water again.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's really hard to keep HC rooted when you have bottom dwellers in your tank. I used to have HC in my shrimp tank supported with 2x T5 light tubes and later changed to LED RGB lighting strip with supporting LED strip for better light penetration. HC grew pretty well in my tank and have some floating as well. The CRS just like to dig into them. In the end, I just gave up with the housekeeping for HC.
    Shrimps Watching.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's really hard to keep HC rooted when you have bottom dwellers in your tank. I used to have HC in my shrimp tank supported with 2x T5 light tubes and later changed to LED RGB lighting strip with supporting LED strip for better light penetration. HC grew pretty well in my tank and have some floating as well. The CRS just like to dig into them. In the end, I just gave up with the housekeeping for HC.
    Haha bro i understand how you feel. I'm facing the same thing. Maybe i should remove all the HC and grow moss instead, they are much easier. But that would mean that i have to remove most of the things in my tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast