Country
    Singapore

Eriocaulon cinereum

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Was wondering if anybody out there has successfully grown this plant in his/her tank??

I have just aquired 4 plantlets last week and they don't seems to do very well in my tank. Is temp very important to this plant since book records 20-26?

Thanks in advance.

albert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eriocaulon cinereum

[quote:8b811214b0="albert"]Hi,

Was wondering if anybody out there has successfully grown this plant in his/her tank??

I have just aquired 4 plantlets last week and they don't seems to do very well in my tank. Is temp very important to this plant since book records 20-26?

Thanks in advance.

albert[/quote:8b811214b0]

Did you buy the Cinereum that has broad leaf? and LFS claim that it is Cinereum? If that is...I don't know...I tried and fail too.

For normal Cinereum, KH above 6 is disastrous...It grow very well at KH3-4. PH at normal range of 6.6-6.8 is OK....Temperature at normal range of 26-28 is OK...Of course most plant won't thrive at >30degC

rgds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advise.

Mine have leaves about 2-3mm wide. Pretty small but the leaves are slowly dying off.

Does the plants demand high nutrients? I placed it in bright area where it will receive lots of lights, KH 3, PH 6.8, GH 8, temp 28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:30b1cced75="albert"]Thanks for the advise.

Mine have leaves about 2-3mm wide. Pretty small but the leaves are slowly dying off.

Does the plants demand high nutrients? I placed it in bright area where it will receive lots of lights, KH 3, PH 6.8, GH 8, temp 28.[/quote:30b1cced75]

Your condition is close to mine...nutrients is important but not critical, meaning..lower level nutrients will not kill it. (I am assuming you have cylinder CO2).

2-3mm...sound like the broad leaf type..LFS claim that it is Cinereum...the emersed form...For me, I am not too sure about the claim...I tried and I fail too...brown and melt starting from the oldest leaf which lasted 3-4weeks....so no help from me....sorry.

Victri and TanVincent is trying too.....seems they have some progress....ask them for tips.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My eriocaulon are not dying, I don't know if you can call that progress...

I don't do anything out of the ordinary for the water:
    - CO2 at about 30ppm
    - 4-5dKH
    - 6.4-6.6PH
    - daily fert dosing with Lushgrow Aquas, Flourish Iron
    - weekly self-mixed NPK
    - Root monster under the plants
    - plants directly under light

I know my PH-dKH seems to indicate CO2 way up there, but I suspect something in the tank is messing with my water PH. The difference in PH for water during CO2-on and water left overnight is about 1.6PH.

Could the secret be acidity? I see many people keep eriocaulon in slightly acidic environment, just like toninas. I'm now trying to propagate the seeds I've collected.

The plant seems to replace leaves very fast. New leaves grow from the middle and old leaves start to melt as they reach the bottom layer. The flower stalks grow up to 4-5 inch and then melts, dropping the flower/seed.

I have some pics in this album for you to compare.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:eeb2b7cd05="victri"]I suspect something in the tank is messing with my water PH. The difference in PH for water during CO2-on and water left overnight is about 1.6PH.
    The flower stalks grow up to 4-5 inch and then melts, dropping the flower/seed.
    [/quote:eeb2b7cd05]

1.6PH difference....that sound unusual....Do you have peat base, peat moss or coco peat under gravel?

Are you sure those are seeds and not dropping flower buds?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0b5651310d="eric_kclee"]

1.6PH difference....that sound unusual....Do you have peat base, peat moss or coco peat under gravel?

Are you sure those are seeds and not dropping flower buds? [/quote:0b5651310d]

Just JBL base fert under Lapis gravel. Think I'll leave the PH discussion till I find out what's causing it.

Not too sure which is dropped, it's that whole "ball" at the end of the stalk. I'll try planting them and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks vic,

Your plant look exactly like mine except for my melting leaves. Can see some HC in the front. Having lots of problem planting my HC due to its fine roots and my shrimps and fishes. It must have tasted nice that my fishes kept nibble on it that makes my lawn floating in matter of days.

Back to the topic, maybe I add some one root monster and see what will happen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6624b0db="victri"]old leaves start to melt as they reach the bottom layer.[/quote:6624b0db]

Victri, I know what you mean, as the plant melt away, the new leaf try to come out to replenish. But once if the tank condition slightly inflavorable, new leaf slower then melting leaf, then will it eventually die...??

My thinking is, it is not so normal, because healthy plant don't melt and shed leaf that fast...no offence.

The main thing is: has the total number of leaves of your cinereum increased over times?

If not....then it is really bad...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My cinereum is growing well, sending out new globes every week and a half or so. Very lush leaves too. The new leaves production is much faster than the old leaves dying. In fact, can't even notice the old leaves.

My conditions are:
    kh: 2-3
    ph: 6.3-6.5
    CO2: unknown (due to ADA soil messing up the kh/ph relationship). But should be sufficient.
    Temp: ambient room temperature (no fans or chillers). Should be around 29-30 degrees C

No base fert. Only liquid TMG once a week and Lushgrow Micros once every 2 days.

Lights: PL at 2.5 watts per gallon.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Boon Yong