Country
    Singapore

snails

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I got snails problem in my tanks.I heard that snail like cucumber.

Pls advise me how to lay the cucumber proberly so that most of the snail will start to feast on it.

Another question, do I have to peels off the skin? I also discovered that cucumber will float in the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

No need to remove the skin, cuz the snails will mostly go for the soft middle part. You can place it on a small dish/plate overnight and you'll be able to easily remove the whole thing together with the snails. If possible, try to push the dish/plate down into the gravel such that the rim is level with the gravel. It'll be easier for the snails to get into the dish.

You can keep the vegetable down by using a small weight, or better still, cover it with stainless steel mesh. This will block out otos or plecos that love it very much too. Other options you can try are boiled lettuce or algae tablets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

re snail

Hi,

one more question,do i have to cut it to show the core or i put it in the tank as a whole.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

I personally feel that snails are not that bad. Some people are even introducing them into their tank. It is because they are such good algae and dead vegetation eater.

What i did is that i only remove those that i can see during weekly water change so as to control their population. The rest of the time, i just leave them alone.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: re snail

[quote:7db83b8ac8="plant talk"]Hi,

one more question,do i have to cut it to show the core or i put it in the tank as a whole.[/quote:7db83b8ac8]

As a whole? You only need one circular slice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

PlantTalk, besides cucumber (yes, one whole circular size will do), cory tablets placed in a petri dish works like a charm... that is, provided your corys and plecos don't get to them first.

With the exception of breeding tanks, I intentionally look for snails and snail egg clusters, and placed into the rest of the tanks. IMHO, snails does a wonderful clean-up job on excess feedings and algae.

While we're talking about snails, can anyone tell me if this is an apple snail? I've a few types of snails and this one moves about with it's shell vertically. There's another, that has it's shell flat to the glass.

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:9484bb85e1="RonWill"]While we're talking about snails, can anyone tell me if this is an apple snail? I've a few types of snails and this one moves about with it's shell vertically. There's another, that has it's shell flat to the glass.
    [/quote:9484bb85e1]

Hi Ronnie,

I believe these are ramhorn snails. And they are showing signs of calcium deficiency.

Apple snails are yellow in color and can grow quite large.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:755f152e09="benny"]I believe these are ramhorn snails[/quote:755f152e09]

Benny,

I think the name is Ramshorn and not Ramhorn. It's actually named so because the snail looks like the horns of a Ram. In other words, a Ram's Horn Snail.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys for the response but I'm feeling a little silly now... I had meant to ask whether it's the flat or vertical travelling snail that's called 'Ramshorn/Ramhorn'. I still cannot figure why I mentioned Apple snail in the first place (obvious reason for a RAM upgrade between my ears!!).

FWIW, I'm culturing these snails as I find them indispensible in fry tanks but I also accidentally discovered that a full dose of Flubenol will kill ALL snails in the tanks too! (this ought to raise more than an eyebrow amongst aquagardeners!)

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee