Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 reactors

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My reactor is one of those with 3 bio balls inside.
    Problem is that it seems to get stuck whenever the CO2 in the tube reaches a certain level regardless if there are 3 or 2 balls inside.

Anybody knows of a better reactor?
    Anybody using the Dennerle Cyclo ?

Feedback Score

with regards to your problem

hi there, with regards to your problem, did you just buy the reactor within one or two days? If it is the case, the reason might be due not enough bateria forming on the reactor so that the CO2 bubbles does not 'slide' properly, this happens when i got my nutrafin reactor with the flipper reactor as well, hope my information will help you, if not , get the flipper type which i am using, it works perfectly fine for my 8.5 gallon tank .... cheers Jason

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    3 ball reactor is different from a flipper. the 3 ball reactor has a chamber where swirling water is mixed with co2, resulting in better co2 absorption efficiency.

normall taking out 1 of the balls will solve the 'not moving' problem. does your problem always occur whenever a particular fixed amount of co2 is in the tube?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The reactor's been operating for quite some time so it's biologically "slimy" so to speak. The balls do get stuck when there's a certain amount of CO2 in the reactor tube - looks pretty inefficient.

That's why looking for options like the Cyclo stuffs without all the stucked balls syndrome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with tawauboy.

I'm using the 3-ball reactor too. And it got stuck previously. What I did was I remove one of it, leaving two behind. They now spin consistently.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c4ba5bdd="aizaspurz"]I agree with tawauboy.

I'm using the 3-ball reactor too. And it got stuck previously. What I did was I remove one of it, leaving two behind. They now spin consistently.[/quote:c4ba5bdd]

I removed one but the they still get stuch after air builds up to a certain level. Is it normal for the air to build up ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I also got the problem with air trap in the reactor. I think it is due to some air being suck in from the skimmer as whenever I increased surface skimmer, I seem to have more air trap inside the reactor.

Agree on removing one bio ball from the reactor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    as long as the balls are below the water level, they should spin.
    those who have 'stuck' balls, are your co2 24/7? or running at high co2 bubbling rate?
    it is normal to have air building up as the co2 we use is not 100% pure co2. co2 being more soluble is absorbed into the water leaving less soluble air.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7379403ebb="tawauboy"]as long as the balls are below the water level, they should spin.
    those who have 'stuck' balls, are your co2 24/7? or running at high co2 bubbling rate?
    it is normal to have air building up as the co2 we use is not 100% pure co2. co2 being more soluble is absorbed into the water leaving less soluble air.[/quote:7379403ebb]

Only when the light is on. Sometimes, the ball at the top spins while the one at the bottom stuck at the bottom. I usually just unplug the tube to release the air and both balls will start spinning again.

I find the reactor unsightly and taking up too much space on my 2ft tank. I am considering switching to a diffuser.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I drilled holes at the bottom of my reactor and solved the problem of stucked balls.

Also, the water output is more gentle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:ca3ead39ed="Gan CW"] .......I am considering switching to a diffuser.[/quote:ca3ead39ed]

reactor is more efficient in diffusing co2 while diffuser is more compact. if co2 wastage is of no concern, go with diffuser.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Alage will grow on the ceramic plate of the diffuser after sometime.

If your budget allows, get the external CO2 reactor from NA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

MdmBudak,
    How exactly does one clean the porous ceramic plate? Bleach it? and if one uses a hang-on Eheim Liberty-like filter, would it be possible to incorporate a co2 reactor to it? TIA for any suggestions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:1e41590f54="tawauboy"][quote:1e41590f54="Gan CW"] .......I am considering switching to a diffuser.[/quote:1e41590f54]

reactor is more efficient in diffusing co2 while diffuser is more compact. if co2 wastage is of no concern, go with diffuser.[/quote:1e41590f54]

Thanks , I dind't know about this. Thought they are the same since I see most lfs and plant farm using diffuser.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:21612a45bc="RonWill"]MdmBudak,
    .... porous ceramic plate? Bleach it? and if one uses a hang-on Eheim Liberty-like filter, would it be possible to incorporate a co2 reactor to it? TIA for any suggestions.[/quote:21612a45bc]

bleach it. else sprinkle a little, just a little, gravel on the ceramic plate. seems to keep algae at bay.

put a small atomiser near the inlet?

Feedback Score
    My 3 ball reactor has the same problem. Sometimes, 1 will rotate and the rest will just 'sink'. Anyway, I dun really care much about it because anyway, the CO2 is still trapped in the reactor, and water gushing out of the filter is there to diffuse the CO2, so whether the balls are rotating or not, I guess its not very important. It just takes a longer time for the CO2 to diffuse. However, with balls rotating in full force, it will obviously diffuse CO2 at a faster pace.

Feedback Score
    Bacteria was mentioned earlier. Thought that such bacteria needed O2 to survive?

Won't the survivability of the bacteria be affected in the CO2 reactor as the concentration of CO2 is highest in the reactor?

Please enlighten.
    :-X :-X :-X :-X
    2 Legs Bad
    4 Legs Better
    NO Legs Best
    :-X :-X :-X :-X

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    co2 does not displace o2. their concentrations are independent of each other. though co2 concentration is highest in the reactor, it is not high enough to kill bacteria.