2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sula Tank Rescue Mission

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This thread is opened for the purpose of documenting my journey in maintaining a Sulawesi Tank. I hope hobbyists new to this type of livestock can take some time to read and learn from my mistakes. Hopefully, this can reduce the casualties caused by ignorance on the conditions required for such creatures.

If you guys read my other posts in the forum (and for Bro Matt who is heavily pestered by me), you'd know that I'm an accidental Sulawesi Shrimps owner. Bought 2 from C328 with just one assurance that these beautiful critters survive without chiller (Uncle and Aunty both assured me). And I happily dumped them into my community tank (filled with mostly Rummy Noses and an assortment of other types of tetras).

I then posted their photos and asked for an ID. Bro Stormhawk promptly informed me that they are Sulawesi Cardinal shrimps and says he hope they are in Alkaline waters. I'm like "what?!". Now, you've gotta know, I'm a lazy hobbyist. I do not measure water parameters for any of my tanks. By some stroke of good luck, my 5 tanks at home have been doing well (ok, many strokes of good luck. Because I do not even age water when I do water change. Just dump Prime from Seachem in and pout into tank ).

Anyways, Back to that 2 shrimps. I scooped them now and put them into their own 1 ft tank with 3 horned snails. I managed to get the pH up to about 7.4 during that time and was still battling with erratic GH and KH levels. By that time, Bro Matt's MO came in and I introduced them into the tank. At first, all seems fine. But as they settle in, they start to die. One a day? GH levels continue to be high, whilst I manage to stabilise the KH level. We are suspecting moulting problems as cause of death. I tried water change with distilled water but it's not working. I watched a Yellow-Cheek die in front of me just last night. At the same time, I have a planaria infection from another tank. I stupidly used the same test kit without washing thoroughly for both tanks.

For the past 2 days, even the usually active horned snails have all curled up into their shells. I know that they are not dead (yet) because i still do see them moving but they just aren't crawling around. I don't know if this is normal or a cause for concern. The only thing I can be happy about is spotting 2 baby Sulawesi Rabbit Snails. So cute!

Current Tank Parameters:
    pH: 7.8 (I have been trying to up it with Coral stones. Don't want to resort to chemicals just yet).
    GH: 11
    KH: 4
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 10

So yesterday I went to Seaview to buy a new 2 feet slim tank, an Ehiem table canister filter and set up the tank to cycle with coral stones I got from Bro Zenith82. Added in Mosura BT-9 I bought from Bro midniteguy. I also invested in a pH pen. Could not find any LFS who sells a TDS pen. Maybe I'll put that on hold for now. Here's are pictures and videos of the current Sula tank and the new cycling one for comments if any. And if any of you experts out there think there's anything else I can do to help the process, pls do comment away...

Current Sula Tank:

Sula Rabbit Snail doing the Limbo Rock:
    http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/...lLimboRock.mp4

Sula Shrimps chillin' with snail:
    http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/...asActivity.mp4

New cycling tank (Haven't scaped it properly.):

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by PupiPupi; 5th Mar 2012 at 11:58. Reason: Photo wrongly inserted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sula Tank Rescue Mission

Is that white quartz sand Pupi?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Is that white quartz sand Pupi?
    Hi Stormhawk,

Yes it's white quartz. I wanted to get the Benibachi Golden Soil (like you did right?) but couldn't find any in Seaview, NA or Polyart. I'm starting to regret using the white quartz. Worried about the dirt. It will be very visible. Wondering if I should buy used GEX soil from other forumers here. I heard it becomes inert quite quickly. And someone posted yesterday selling 9 months old soil. Sigh.... Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maybe it's too late for me now. Sobs....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well, you're still in the cycling stage so it can be torn down and redone. Golden Soil only at GC I think, and maybe CRS Haven, I'm not sure.

Going to run some more tests on my tank later.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That Grey rocks in tank 1. Will it rise the gh or kh of the tank? It seemed like it will. If so, I would suggest you might as well change to coral stone since it can rise pH also. Just one note, I think sulawesi shrimp really like sulawesi rocks. I place two in my tank and they seemed to feel less stress and always hide in these rocks as compare to lava rocks.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I heard from one LFS that as long as the rocks are dark colours that it should be fine. Not too sure where else I heard this (probably read it online) but your rock should have an obvious line that runs through the entire course of it. Not too sure on how to identify it but I'm always wary of such things.

Nonetheless, you can either try the golden soil, if not coral sand. You can also add in coral chips sporadically around the tank. I have my own Sulawesi thread and you can go in to take a look at how I set up the tank. Not that it's any means the gold standard but it should provide you some guidance. I think it's alright if you don't have Sulawesi rocks (of course it's always best to have one or two in the tank). Most of the properties these rocks have can be substituted with other products so you need not worry about it, but one thing it does provide which is not seen in your current scape is shade for the shrimps. I purposed myself to stack rocks on each other so that it provides a good hideout for the shrimps. Of course I don't get to see them out right in the open, but its all about recreating habitats for the captive shrimp and snail.
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sis Pupi, you can get a cheapo TDS meter off ebay Singapore for less than $30, or invest in a good one. GC should have the Mosura brand TDS/conductivity meter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Well, you're still in the cycling stage so it can be torn down and redone. Golden Soil only at GC I think, and maybe CRS Haven, I'm not sure.

Going to run some more tests on my tank later.
    I'm not sure if my shrimps have the luxury of time to wait for me to start over. Sigh. I'm thinking of just layering a thin layer of coral sand over. I need to up the ph anyways.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chansl View Post
    That Grey rocks in tank 1. Will it rise the gh or kh of the tank? It seemed like it will. If so, I would suggest you might as well change to coral stone since it can rise pH also. Just one note, I think sulawesi shrimp really like sulawesi rocks. I place two in my tank and they seemed to feel less stress and always hide in these rocks as compare to lava rocks.
    What?! Those grey rocks are not inert?!?!?!?! OMG.... Grrrr.... THAT can't be the reason that my gh can't be lowered can it?! Any experts on these rocks? Advise pls!

Quote Originally Posted by mincedmeat View Post
    I heard from one LFS that as long as the rocks are dark colours that it should be fine. Not too sure where else I heard this (probably read it online) but your rock should have an obvious line that runs through the entire course of it. Not too sure on how to identify it but I'm always wary of such things.

Nonetheless, you can either try the golden soil, if not coral sand. You can also add in coral chips sporadically around the tank. I have my own Sulawesi thread and you can go in to take a look at how I set up the tank. Not that it's any means the gold standard but it should provide you some guidance. I think it's alright if you don't have Sulawesi rocks (of course it's always best to have one or two in the tank). Most of the properties these rocks have can be substituted with other products so you need not worry about it, but one thing it does provide which is not seen in your current scape is shade for the shrimps. I purposed myself to stack rocks on each other so that it provides a good hideout for the shrimps. Of course I don't get to see them out right in the open, but its all about recreating habitats for the captive shrimp and snail.
    I'm intending to add a thin later of coral sand on top of the white quartz. I wanted Sula rocks but don't know where to get them though. Yes I do give my shrimps good hiding places. So good that I don't usually get to see them. HAHA. My new tank is under going scaping so I'm gonna update with pics later on as I add things. I put in the corals first so that I can monitor the water parameters with it. Will be adding in another branch with plants tied to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Sis Pupi, you can get a cheapo TDS meter off ebay Singapore for less than $30, or invest in a good one. GC should have the Mosura brand TDS/conductivity meter.
    Really?! Thanks! I will go have a look at ebay first then.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If there are no bubbles coming out from your snails, meaning they are still alive.Maybe they are in a new environment thats why they are not that active.I got some used GEX soils (Red packet),if u need let me know.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nicely scape tank PupiPupi Sis, I suggest you monitor your ammonia and nitrates also as I notice your NO3 is 10.
    Try not to use soil unless you want do planting. As soil will breakdown in time to come, then it will be abit troublesome and will cause you No2/NO3 issues.
    Snails can be very good tell tale signs of water conditions. If they are not coming out and totally shut off you better becareful as usually is water conditions not good.
    The tylo snails can be inactive at times but they will just lay down half shut dozing away, just monitor them thru the day. If 1~2 days never move at all sure bound to be water conditions not good.
    Better plan to invest some test kits if you want to keep this hobby as it's important to monitor your water perimeter.
    Don't add too many coral chips to the tank. As it will gradually increase gh/kh as time past. if you want to lower gh/kh try water change and add distilled water.
    If you can't get the desired ph, try usingSeachem Malawi/Victoria PH buffer mix as I'm using and I feel it's good. If you cannot reduce NO2/NO3 try microbelift niteout II.
    But importantly cycle properly before adding your shrimps, as Sulawesi tank is not using soil, cycling process is shorter, but you have to ensure there is no presence of NO2 and NO3.
    Better have more media or bb cultivating liquid or powder to add in.
    If all the above is managed, you soon to have lots of happy shrimps and generations to come.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by oiishi View Post
    If there are no bubbles coming out from your snails, meaning they are still alive.Maybe they are in a new environment thats why they are not that active.I got some used GEX soils (Red packet),if u need let me know.
    It's alright bro oiishi. I am sticking to the white quartz. And I think it's the water which is disturbing them because for the past week they have been actively trying to climb everywhere. It's just the past 2 days that the activity suddenly stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith82 View Post
    Very nicely scape tank PupiPupi Sis, I suggest you monitor your ammonia and nitrates also as I notice your NO3 is 10.
    Try not to use soil unless you want do planting. As soil will breakdown in time to come, then it will be abit troublesome and will cause you No2/NO3 issues.
    Snails can be very good tell tale signs of water conditions. If they are not coming out and totally shut off you better becareful as usually is water conditions not good.
    The tylo snails can be inactive at times but they will just lay down half shut dozing away, just monitor them thru the day. If 1~2 days never move at all sure bound to be water conditions not good.
    Better plan to invest some test kits if you want to keep this hobby as it's important to monitor your water perimeter.
    Don't add too many coral chips to the tank. As it will gradually increase gh/kh as time past. if you want to lower gh/kh try water change and add distilled water.
    If you can't get the desired ph, try usingSeachem Malawi/Victoria PH buffer mix as I'm using and I feel it's good. If you cannot reduce NO2/NO3 try microbelift niteout II.
    But importantly cycle properly before adding your shrimps, as Sulawesi tank is not using soil, cycling process is shorter, but you have to ensure there is no presence of NO2 and NO3.
    Better have more media or bb cultivating liquid or powder to add in.
    If all the above is managed, you soon to have lots of happy shrimps and generations to come.
    Thanks for the advice bro Zenith. I got home to lethargic shrimps yesterday night. They were still alive and eating but aren't really active anymore. I took a gamble and immediately scaped my new tank then drip them in. I thought, since they weren't gonna survive in the old tank, I might as well gamble on the new tank. Measured water parameters at about 11pm last night before putting in the shrimps and snails: pH 7.9, GH 5, KH 3

I measured my aged water and tap water as well:
    Aged: pH 7.2, GH 3, KH 3

Tap: pH 7.8, GH 3, KH 2

Strange thing is, this morning I measured at about 8am: pH 7.6, GH 6 (Didn't have time to measure KH).

I'm just really worried GH will shoot up to above 10 again. Then I'd really be clueless about what's going on. The tylo snails are moving around and the horned snails are beginning to come out of their shell, just not moving yet. I take that as a good sign.

And to reply bro Zenith, I have all the basic test ktis already. A pH pen, GH & KH dropper test kits, NO2 and NO3 Dropper test kits and Ammonia one too. I do test everyday for now. And sometimes even twice a day since my tank is very unstable. I don't have many shrimps left but I hope the remaining ones will find the new tank comfortable and start surviving well.

Alrighty, picture time! I gave them a lot of hiding space in hopes they will feel happier and grow up healthily.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very beautifully done!!! Thumps up!!! Love the design and white quartz.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sis, nicely scaped tank!! Do not worry about your GH, looking at the scape and all the parameters, the GH should rise to a max of 6-7 only (which is alright).
    Shrimps Watching.
    Voted No.1 as Stress Reliever & Anti-Depressant.

Fine prints: Please learn to keep them alive successfully before applying.

http://shrimpsredefined.wordpress.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Is your filter strong enough?
    Poo Poo on white gravel is very obvious.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    Is your filter strong enough?
    Poo Poo on white gravel is very obvious.
    Shls be fine. Its a 38 litres tank running on 350 litres/hr filter. I guess I will have to live if visible poo poo since I chose white gravel.

Tapatalking with my Galaxy S2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys... Spotted something weird next to my rabbit snails. See the 2 white round things on the coral stones? Is that snail eggs?! Its a new tank. I dunno what else it could be...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith82 View Post
    Very beautifully done!!! Thumps up!!! Love the design and white quartz.
    Thanks! Hope I did ur corals justice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sis, nicely scaped tank!! Do not worry about your GH, looking at the scape and all the parameters, the GH should rise to a max of 6-7 only (which is alright).
    Matt, thanks. so stressful really praying everything stabilises. Then I will need more shrimps! All my harlequins perished. Sigh...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice design !! simple and sweet ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast