Country
    Singapore

newbie shrimp keeper reporting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

After admiring nice shrimps setup here for quite some time, I am about to venture into shrimp keeping , taking step by step at a time.. i am intending to convert my exsiting 1.5 ft tank into a shrimp tank. I am already keeping some fishes in it , which in time , i will shift them to my other tanks in order to may way for my shrimps.

It is currently running on a large HOF an I have bought an ANS fan to lower the water temperature. I have just bought 8L of shrimp soil from advanced soil from sea view .

I'm intending to place some rocks into the setup , how ever, I am unsure which rocks are suitable. As i visited GC at clementi the past few days, i've seen lava rocks and those grey slate looking rocks which i thought would be befitting my setup. Any one here has experience using these rocks in their shrimp setups? Would it by detrimental to the water chemistry for the shrimps?

I have also read that there are additives we need to put into the water to increase mineral counts and all. I already have a well cycled filter ( nitrite and ammonia reading at 0ppm), what else would i need for additives?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions,and I would appreciate for tips if any from anyone here !

Dekeyseria sp. (L052) , 1990
    Butterfly Pleco, Flounder Pleco,
    Rio Orinoco Basin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: newbie shrimp keeper reporting

I would say rock doesn't go well unless you intend to keep sulawesi or sakura etc.

Crs,Bds,exotic shrimp best is just moss or 1 or 2 rooted

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
    I would say rock doesn't go well unless you intend to keep sulawesi or sakura etc.

Crs,Bds,exotic shrimp best is just moss or 1 or 2 rooted
    Thanks for the reply !!

Is the reason for that due to the increase in gh/kh that is caused by the rocks ???

Rio Orinoco Basin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup .. Generally rocks will increase GH and KH unless some specific rocks like Dragon rocks. Moss will be good as it is a source of food for them . And try not to get the grey colour lava rocks . I had read some US breeder that had their sulawesi wipe out because of these rocks .. I dont know how true but better to be safe than sorry. You should have cycled your tank with your rocks. This allow more BB growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jucino View Post
    Thanks for the reply !!

Is the reason for that due to the increase in gh/kh that is caused by the rocks ???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you have any links to the US story about the grey lava rocks? I thought most lava rocks are inert?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

grey lava rock as in pumice rock???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Do you have any links to the US story about the grey lava rocks? I thought most lava rocks are inert?
    Sorry Bro .. I cant find the blog. Generally is a US guy that rear sulawesi .. So he failed like 4 times .. He claims that he had everything right and still fail .. it was until his friend told him to remove the lava rocks and everything seemed fine .. I manage to read that as i was finding the differences between red and black lava rocks .. It was a month ago .. tried finding it but overwhelmed with links .. Just suggesting .. Maybe is a single out incident or a long term issue .. For me, i just play safe .. haha ..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How does these dragon rocks look like ??? Most likely will go for sakuras first , can anyone advise if additives like sea mud power and minerals are necessary ???

Rio Orinoco Basin