Country
    Singapore

Betta with guppies?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey.
    Have a divided 14 gallon tank, the betta manged to went into the other side, used to attack cory catfish but does not attack guppies ?
    Is it worth to risk putting them together? Been hours and the betta did not even chase or nip them.
    Thank you for your time ( I have a pair of guppies , one male and one female )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta with guppies?

If the Betta is hungry enough, he will attack the guppies. I don't think it's worth the risk because a single Betta can easily kill the guppies if he got close enough.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by JKT View Post
    Hey.
    Have a divided 14 gallon tank, the betta manged to went into the other side, used to attack cory catfish but does not attack guppies ?
    Is it worth to risk putting them together? Been hours and the betta did not even chase or nip them.
    Thank you for your time ( I have a pair of guppies , one male and one female )
    I have a different experience.
    I used to have 3 bettas and an army of cory which is part of my Aquatic Town Council. Bettas same type 1 male 2 female. The male busy chasing after gals. The Town Council consist of otto and different type of cory. There are area which are densely planted which the betta would wonder inside and area which are less planted which members of the Town Council would have their meeting there. Basically the bettas would conduct their activities at the densely planted and mid range of the tank. Mid range is also schooled by cardinals. Surface is usually patrolled by endlers, guppies and cardinals. Given I feed the fishes 1-2 times per day, there isn't much problem with that. Otto usually will be patrolling the glass, the driftwood, the plant leaves etc.

You could let them have some time together but you need to actively monitor them for a few hours, suggest you do this during weekends. But the most dangerous time would be when lights are off. So if you want to test, test with cheap guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

read from the net that betta might view guppies as rival due to their colorful body and fanciful tail...well, some bros here having a different experience...so, i guess it boils down to the "character" of the betta itself...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I believe result is not absolute. If one hate someone, no matter how they just won't get along.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So far so good they totally ignored each other and the betta usually hides while the guppies are really active, only trouble is feeding them , any solutions for feeding ? The guppies usually gulp up everything.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Try BaoZengHong 宝增红. It's a floating but eventually will sink kinda fish food. Now Betta usually will either chase food that are dropping down and nip nip at the bottom. Guppies usually will chase and spit (Don't know why) food then eat it at the water surface. Occassional treat of tubi worms is also good for the fishes. Put the feeder if necessary.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh any idea where to get them ? thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yishun AquaStar sold out at last visit. C328 also sold out two weeks back. So I got mine from PolyArt two weeks back. $4.50 per bottle, it's like a pepper dispenser. You need to unscrew the cap and remove the foil first before you can start dosing. Always close the cap properly if not, you can find worms or ants at work after a while. Always angle the container and tap tap action to slowly release the food onto the water surface. Do not overfeed by covering the entire water surface with food. Bit Bit, they finish the food then you tap tap again.