Country
    Singapore

Re:

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    [quote:4e73a9d9cb="ckll"]
    Currently using an auto digital camera. Trying to learn a trick or two, and to justify the mental hurdle of getting a digital SLR [/quote:4e73a9d9cb]

well, the good thing is that you will see that you don't necessarily have to use a DSLR. As long as your cam meet certain basic requirements, a point-&-shoot can do the job pretty well too.

- G5 user
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7f6946e0c2="ckll"]

Phew! Dont have to let go of shares for the time being then.. [/quote:7f6946e0c2]

you will also see that most P&S digicams out of the box will not be good enough, you still need other gears like lens filters and external flash
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:921e998ecd="hwchoy"]
    you will also see that most P&S digicams out of the box will not be good enough, you still need other gears like lens filters and external flash [/quote:921e998ecd]

I know some P&S digicams have hotshoe for external flash, but usually wont allow lens filter to be attached, right ? That would be for SLR right?
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    DSLR does not have a fixed lens, so the entire lens assembly can be removed and another one put in place. In fact when you buy an SLR/DSLR you just buy the body, and select a number of lenses to go with it.

The so called P&S have fixed lens, even the most superduper Sony F828 is a P&S *alright, who threw that tomato?* by that definition. Because the lens cannot be removed and changed, you can only add modifier lenses (called filters) which modifies the performance of the standard, fixed lens. So you would be able to add close-up filters (basically magnifying glass), wide-angle and telephoto converters, polarisers, etc.

e.g. with my G5 I have added two close-up lens, one is a +4 (some magnification factor which I don't know how to calculate) and another one a +1. You could use them individually or "stacked" together to get cumulative effects. I am hoping to try +4+4 this sunday if someone brings along a +4 filter.