Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

River Sand

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, anyone knows which LFSes have regular supply of river sand and how much do they cost?

And also, how do you guys usually suck up waste from sand?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: River Sand

Sand? Like ADA Nile Sand? C328 i think I saw. Brand not sure. Online wise, Mizuworld, FreshnMarine and Fishy Business. ADA products.

Suck up waste from sand or from any substrate? Hmm..I don't. The sand is for show only. For purpose of aquascapping; make it look nice. If you use those gravel cleaner, it will toss the sand all over. Big mess. What's your setup? Some pictures to understand better? Cos I rarely see folks here using sand.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Young10, you might want to specify the sand you are looking for. Pictures would be useful. Fine sand sold here differs from brand. Europet has a lighter sand which is nearly like beach or play sand. Sudo's sand however is darker in color with some different colored flecks. I'm getting GEX's new Nippon sand soon. The finest grade is called Mutsu sand.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Young10 View Post
    Hi guys, anyone knows which LFSes have regular supply of river sand and how much do they cost?

And also, how do you guys usually suck up waste from sand?
    Goto Viva section and look for Eddie. River sand is not fresh water sand. It's a bit salty by nature. Unless you wanna create ripa-scape.

Use a siphon. LFS sells them. Cheap Cheap. Less than $10.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Sand? Like ADA Nile Sand? C328 i think I saw. Brand not sure. Online wise, Mizuworld, FreshnMarine and Fishy Business. ADA products.

Suck up waste from sand or from any substrate? Hmm..I don't. The sand is for show only. For purpose of aquascapping; make it look nice. If you use those gravel cleaner, it will toss the sand all over. Big mess. What's your setup? Some pictures to understand better? Cos I rarely see folks here using sand.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Young10, you might want to specify the sand you are looking for. Pictures would be useful. Fine sand sold here differs from brand. Europet has a lighter sand which is nearly like beach or play sand. Sudo's sand however is darker in color with some different colored flecks. I'm getting GEX's new Nippon sand soon. The finest grade is called Mutsu sand.
    Currently I have a tanganyika cichlids and mates set up which I am using a mixture of gravel and river sand which I bought long long time ago. I remember the sand being sold to me as river sand at pet mart. Didnt know that buying sand also need quite a lot of knowledge! Guess I have to really go down to the LFSes to find out more.

And actually my plan now is to sift out all the gravel and replace them with more river sand so that I can see my tanganyika sand sifters in their natural activities. But I come to realise that using purely sand, I most probably wont be able to use my DIY suction siphon, where I attached a 500ml bottle cut into half at the suction side (to slow down water velocity), to clean the substrate, as the sand will be easily sucked away. So am trying to see if anyone else has any simple DIYs or ideas to clean the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Goto Viva section and look for Eddie. River sand is not fresh water sand. It's a bit salty by nature. Unless you wanna create ripa-scape.

Will look for him when I decide to start on this major substrate changing work in my tank. Thanks!!! And what is ripa-scape?
    Last edited by Young10; 2nd Apr 2012 at 21:27. Reason: Double entry

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ripa scape aka Riparium aka Riverscape.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ripa scape aka Riparium aka Riverscape.
    I see. Thanks alot. Will take a look in the different Lfs and consider my options.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

May I know whats the nick of Eddie? Dont want to get the wrong guy. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Master Eddie do not use nick. His name is Eddie Planer. He should still be out country, just wait for him to reply.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...9-6ft-vivarium

Have a look.