Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the traits of a ready female CRS especially for selective breeding

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What are the traits of a ready female CRS especially for selective breeding

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    To all experts, I recently got some PRLs and have them housed with my other grades CRS due to limited space constraints.

What i wanted to do is to selectively breed the PRL instead of letting them mix-breed. but, reading the threads here does not enable early detection of a ready female for selective breeding?

I know only know that when a ready female is in the tank the males start dancing around to find her, but i would not be able to get the right timing to plan the breeding process.

Can anyone like have some guidelines on :
    1) how long the breeding cycle happens and the intervals?
    2) distinct traits that a female will portray prior to being ready for mating? (photos would be of great help)

your feedbacks and guidance is much appreciated

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What are the traits of a ready female CRS especially for selective breeding

Erm did you like saperate the prls into Betta breeding boxes? If not it may not be pure already XD

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup agree with bro xconnect. There is a chance your PRLs are not so pure any more.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have a satellite box, but.. it's ok just to keep them in the tank by themselves? i have the Reds & Blacks. which i know my blacks are a pair. So, i want to breed them to produce pure babies. I only got them recently, so, need to plan now. Before any unexpected accidents happen. i want to breed my pair, but i don't know when the females is ready? thus, i started this thread.

What is the traits usually will happen that will indicate that the female is ready for breeding. I don't want to wait until males are dancing to then hunt and see whether its the PRL female that is "in heat". that would be too late.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

err. i think its better to get tanks ready for your "pure" shrimps next time.

they might not be pure anymore.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

why are they not pure? i just bought them. i didn't breed them yet. just want to know what's the breeding cycle like and early signs to detect so that i can scoop them out.

I cannot comprehand why by just housing them together with the normal CRS will equate to not pure anymore? can someone please explain further?

besides, even if there are accidents, the next time round, i can still be prepared for it to breed pure right? don't tell me after they mate with non-pure, the PRL themselves become not pure too??

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

err, how can you be so sure that you can differentiate your normal CRS and PRL?
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Prl & Crs it as good as goner unless you have 'c' Crs if not chance are likely you will accidentally mix even you got a tank ready. Unless they other type like pbl,wine red etc. you can only consider them pcrs only.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

why are they not pure? i just bought them. i didn't breed them yet. just want to know what's the breeding cycle like and early signs to detect so that i can scoop them out.

I cannot comprehand why by just housing them together with the normal CRS will equate to not pure anymore? can someone please explain further?

besides, even if there are accidents, the next time round, i can still be prepared for the next breeding cycle to breed pure right? don't tell me after they mate with non-pure, the PRL themselves become not pure too??

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by recca View Post

besides, even if there are accidents, the next time round, i can still be prepared for the next breeding cycle to breed pure right? don't tell me after they mate with non-pure, the PRL themselves become not pure too??
    How sure are you that you can select the PRL from the CRS?
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by recca View Post

There is no such breed cycle chart it all depend on the factor of like your parameter whether how show they adapt and how soon they are ready to mate. You can do that if you sit infront of your tank watching them for hours.

And yes you are right if there is a accidental cross the lot of brood is consider unpure but the parent shrimps is still PRL. But how many time can you ensure that their gene will not be contaminate? 24 hrs camping?

Let face the fact they are after all lifestock as long as the shrimp is 1 cm and above they are ready to mate i don't think anyone can tell you the breeding cycle.

example:

some are mature and their shrimps after releasing 1 lot less than a week it mate and is berried again
    some longer..

unless you are using breeding enchance.........

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
    There is no such breed cycle chart it all depend on the factor of like your parameter whether how show they adapt and how soon they are ready to mate. You can do that if you sit infront of your tank watching them for hours.

And yes you are right if there is a accidental cross the lot of brood is consider unpure but the parent shrimps is still PRL. But how many time can you ensure that their gene will not be contaminate? 24 hrs camping?

Let face the fact they are after all lifestock as long as the shrimp is 1 cm and above they are ready to mate i don't think anyone can tell you the breeding cycle.

example:

some are mature and their shrimps after releasing 1 lot less than a week it mate and is berried again
    some longer..

unless you are using breeding enchance.........
    Perfectly understand your point on lifestock being lifestock, but every type of lifestock has a life cycle and a mating cycle is part of the whole mambo jumbo. I also agree that based on external factors and conditions, cycles may varies, but the fundamental cycle still exists isn't it?

Please do not take this the wrong way, but the point for me to raise this question is to start my analysis on whether there is a possibility that some actions can be done & track to prepare prior to the breeding cycle, in this way, people with budgets contraints and in space limitations can also enjoy quality shrimps too. please do not take this as a re-buttal, just a healthy discussion for exploration purposes.

like what you mentioned "factors like how soon they are ready to mate.." this itself has a fundamental / basic cycle, +/- estimates. this "theory" is further elaborated by you on the point on the shrimps getting berried again depends on whether the female during her pregnancy develop eggs in her saddle, then the likelihood of after releasing 1st batch and after her molt, will get berried again. correct me if i am wrong here.

on the contamination of the genes, i really do not quite comprehend as there is not examples for better understanding. I comprehend the part on "prevention is better than cure" theory, to not mix the PRLs to avoid having unpure offspring. this is a form of guarantee of the PRL lineage. the only reason i can think of as contamination would be a PRL Red Mate with PRL black based on some genetic pool %. which i don't have understanding on.

Even the top grade CRS (example, the SSS grades) closest comparison the PRL CRS, do not come cheap, not even mentioning the exotic types like BKK and the whole range, which based on what i undertand are not pure but has inherited some form of the pure genes. that's why lineages becomes important.

thus, this brings back the question above. with the given constraints, conditions & Factors involved, can it be to possible to be a bit "Kiasu" to plan ahead of the mating cycle because there is no way i can see any saddle on the PRL due to their amazing colours.

Is it that the female only wait till she is ready to be berried before she mates, or any horny male that jumps on her, may possibly deposit his precious cargo. Does she release the signal of readiness before molt or after molt?

I would certainly wish i can 24hours camp in front of them. but, sadly we all need to work to be able to afford only a few pieces of such quality shrimps to enjoy.

I am sure that somehow, there is a way, just that it has not be shared before or thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinchan80 View Post
    How sure are you that you can select the PRL from the CRS?
    if you are referring to the parent PRL that i just obtained, i can recognise them 100%. scooping them out is no issue at all.

if you are referring to the off springs, then i have no way to test whether they are pure. thus, back to my point above. And the best way to learn is to open for a healthy discussion that everyone will benefit from.

please accept my apology if any of my analysis has offended you.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hmm. if you wants to start a breeding project, its better to sell the normal CRS off if you do not have any extra tanks to house them. -1 chance for them to mess up the gene pool of your PRL.

a trick to see if your female PRL is ready to mate.

-shine a torchlight behind the female shrimp
    -if you see a saddle on the back, it means its ready to get bellied.
    -look out for a tiny gap between the head and the body on the back, this means the female shrimp is ready to moult. ( moulting will cause the males in the tank to dance )

good luck.
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure about their readiness to mate but I do notice that my crs get berried after they moult. So i would assume that moulting is the trigger

I think the concern is that they can quickly get berried after moulting, within the span of a few hours. Last week I saw the empty shell in the morning, belonging to a shrimp which i initially thought was male. Then when I checked the shrimp in the evening, its berried.

Assuming that your tank has hiding places for the shrimp to hide, what if the shrimp moult somewhere you cant see?

The only solution that i can think of for your case will be to house your PRL in clear, ventilated containers that float in the tank. That way you can still see your shrimps and wont risk diluting the genes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi TS, what do you want to achieve from your offsprings? Still continue with the pure line or you just want to mix your PRL with normal crs?

If you do want pure offsprings, then it is better to seperate the pure with the normal crs. You never know when the normal crs will shoot their "sperm" inside the female.
    So say, maybe you decide to seperate the normal crs and PRL tomorrow, and the day after you have a berried PRL, the PRL offsprings might not definitely be pure because there might be a chance where it mated with a normal CRS.

Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro, just to share something with you on breeding im experiencing now:

I got a SSS crs who got berried on the 5 April, then suddenly 17 April i saw only 1 tiny CRS shrimplet swimming around but that berried CRS still have eggs inside her.

24 April , That berried CRS give birth cause i saw her eggs are not there anymore, 26 April i saw a few transparent strip shrimplets on the soil.

Strange things is this:

28 April night saw a big piece of molted shell( guess is from that same crs) then this morning this Sss crs got berried again???????

So this really puzzle me, how can it be after birth 5 days then got berried again , possible????

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes possible... The berried female will continually reproduce eggs inside her body even when she is berried. So after releasing her eggs on 24 April, the female has another batch of eggs that is ready inside her body.
    But sometimes some females take longer to produce eggs, so they will take more time in between releasing her first batch of shrimplets and getting berried for the next batch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Mine got berried after 3 days ... or earlier .. cant confirm .. but three days later i saw my only black BDS berried again ... They must be having a Zoukout in the tank .. but the babies were mixed of red , black and pure white ... Probably she mated with a CRS

Quote Originally Posted by HeMan View Post

I got a SSS crs who got berried on the 5 April, then suddenly 17 April i saw only 1 tiny CRS shrimplet swimming around but that berried CRS still have eggs inside her.

24 April , That berried CRS give birth cause i saw her eggs are not there anymore, 26 April i saw a few transparent strip shrimplets on the soil.

Strange things is this:

28 April night saw a big piece of molted shell( guess is from that same crs) then this morning this Sss crs got berried again???????

So this really puzzle me, how can it be after birth 5 days then got berried again , possible????

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HeMan View Post

Strange things is this:

Possible. I got 5 CRS in my tank initially. 3 females are berried. Then after the first batch of shrimplets are released, the shrimp got berried again within 3 days. This happened in my tank for quite a number of times on the 3 female shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

I know you have a pair of black but they will mate with your PRL as well.
    Then you will have problem later. So, it is better to seperate or put a divider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast