cos my commerical bought fan gave way liao

sianzzz
    need help in doing it ......
    anyone got experience it this pls post
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can get those 80mm and 120mm PC fans from Sim Lim, they run on 12V DC. You'll need a transformer, not sure which type.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    obviously, the adaptor output will be 12v.
    determine how many fans you are going to used.
    sum the total current required (shown on the fans, typically ~140ma or more)
    get a adaptor that can supply the total current required.
    connect all the red wires from fans to +ve of adaptor output.
    connect all the black wires from fans to -ve of adaptor output.
    done!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

sound pretty easy,
    maybe i will make one when i am free.

By the way, is there any extra things i need to be aware of.

thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    have fan grills to prevent naughty fingers from going in.
    Fans have speed ratings, get those more than 5000rpm or faster, 120mm or bigger to cool a bigger area.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Don't think it is a transformer we should use inverter for the DC fan.
    Any diy shop should have this inverter AC-->DC, cost around $15-$50 depends on make.

The problem with fan is the noise I think.

regds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's a good article here http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...le&artid=6

Tip: check your home for transformers/ adaptors used in spolit cordless phones, scanners, modems etc. If they are of usuable voltage and current, can try them as well. My DC cooling fans are powered by these.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sound interesting! where can I get all these thing required for the DIY fan?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:e89478f5ec="Aeon"]........get those more than 5000rpm or faster...........[/quote:e89478f5ec]
    while high speed fans can cool better, it is not good.
    too much surface turbulance when fan blows across the surface.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:6eb926af="shortman"]............use inverter for the DC fan............
    The problem with fan is the noise I think.

regds[/quote:6eb926af]
    it is not called an inverter. inverter is the device which converts dc-ac.
    ac-dc is usually called an adaptor.

high speed fans are noisier. fans with current consumption of ~0.14a is quite quiet while high speed fans (0.3a) is noisy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:c479482c05="CT"]......... why can I get all these thing required for the DIY fan?[/quote:c479482c05]
    why???
    should be where, right?
    from sim lim tower.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    And possibly get power supply from sim lim square. Usually can find second hand on 4th,5th floor. But must get those with this on/off switch, unless you know how to wire the switch yourself. Costs about $15.
    Mine is powering 7 12V fans each about 0.14A on average and still runs quite cool. I forgot the max wattage, but it probably allows lots more fans and even LED nightlights. Another plus point is that it has more sockets available than converter. Minus point is only 2 set voltages 12V and 5V. I tried getting 7V by using 5V as earth, but it didn't work for me. And you'll have to decide whether you want to risk using second hand PS (mine has a 1997 date on it!!! )

A word of advice, dun get expensive fans, really not needed, and may also be very noisy. Defeats the purpose if you have to power a 12V noisy fan to a 5V wire to reduce the noise. My tank with 4x55W PL lites and 5 fans can maintain <28 degrees even on hot days. There's one noisy fan right under my PL light that I power at 5V, if I change to 12V, then can get 27 degrees, but so noisy that my family complain.

If I bought ACDC converter, then I'll probably have to pay around $20 for a 1000mA one, and 7 fans will be pushing the operating limit already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how do u secure yr fans to tanks ?
    using clips ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing about fans.... They break down easily. After a few months the fan will just refuse to spin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    any idea how to prevent that ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:1cc70422d3="crandf"]...........risk using second hand PS (mine has a 1997 date on it!!! )

A word of advice, dun get expensive fans, really not needed, and may also be very noisy. ....................

If I bought ACDC converter, then I'll probably have to pay around $20 for a 1000mA one, and 7 fans will be pushing the operating limit already.[/quote:1cc70422d3]

electronics can last longer than 7 years. furthermore, the PS (assume you are talking about pc power supply) is cooled by a fan and protected from overload.

noisy dc fans are most likely high speed fans and could be drawing 0.3amps or more. noise comes from the volume of air being moved.

for the adaptor, 1000ma for 7 fans is not at operating limit. that’s the designed operating condition. if you operate only 1 fan, the adaptor output voltage is probably about 18v. at 1000ma output current, the adaptor output voltage will about 12v. increasing the current load above 1000ma will result in lower adaptor output voltage until a current limit is reached (probably around 1.5amps). at that point, a wire fuse will blow and you’ll have to get a replacement adaptor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:c6aba4860d="plantmania"]One thing about fans.... They break down easily. After a few months the fan will just refuse to spin.[/quote:c6aba4860d]

[quote:c6aba4860d="tcy81"]any idea how to prevent that ?[/quote:c6aba4860d]

some fans can last longer than a year while some last only a couple of months (even if they are from the same manufacturer)

not a guaranteed solution. you can try to purchase a contact cleaner with mixed in lubricant. spray generous amount into the fan while it is running. and do it away from your aquarium.

Feedback Score
    i am using 2 CPU fan which mounted on top of back of my tank, It manages to keep my tank temperature around 25 - 27 degree.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Any reason why 220V fans are not used? I am using 120mm fan that is rated at 220-240V, no need any adaptor, just plug it into the wall electrical socket. I think these fans are used for TVs and other machinery. Works OK for my 2ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c7dc92ae22="stocker"]Any reason why 220V fans are not used? I am using 120mm fan that is rated at 220-240V, no need any adaptor, just plug it into the wall electrical socket. I think these fans are used for TVs and other machinery. Works OK for my 2ft tank. [/quote:c7dc92ae22]

The reason is wastage of electricity.

What is the wattage of your AC fan? I could be wrong about yours but AC fans are likely to be of higher wattage than DC fans. Eg. A normal DC fan could be around 12V, 0.14A. That works to be 1.7W. And we don't need many of these to cool the tank.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast