Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Introduced new plants, shrimps dying...Please help!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Introduced new plants, shrimps dying...Please help!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok, usually when I buy new plants I will remove the pot & wool, then clean up & soak with Potassium permanganate for a few hours & finally leave them in water for a day before putting them inside the tank.

But this evening I got 2 packets of bolbitis & after washing I didn't soak them in water for very long. So when I put them into my tank, all my shrimps suddenly came out from their hiding & feeding, went panic & frantically rushed to the surface. Sensing something wrong I quickly took out all the new plants & change about 60% water. Then I add Seachem Prime & BW Shields just in case to clear any toxin.

But all my rili & yellow neon shrimps are still hanging under the frog bits or lying motionless like fainted. All the fish are not affected at all.

What could it possibly be & what else can I do?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Introduced new plants, shrimps dying...Please help!

Woke up this morning to a scene of massacre. Lost 7 yellow fire neon, 3 rili, 1 yamato, 1 ramshorn.

This is the first time bought plants that cause so much damage.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hencpu View Post
    Woke up this morning to a scene of massacre. Lost 7 yellow fire neon, 3 rili, 1 yamato, 1 ramshorn.

This is the first time bought plants that cause so much damage.
    Hmm.. I had a different approach to your situation. I would add active carbon in to the water and increase aeration near active carbon, or try to let the outflow water to pass through the Clarice carbon. The reason is sometimes I do think that the massive water change and the addition of new chemicals are the cause, rather then from the plants.
    A side note, I would always prefer to buy plants that is taken out from the packaging and already soaked in lfs tanks.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Meanwhile I suggest you treat the water with active carbon, and don't do further changes to the water. That's my opinion thou.
    Zack

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have the same experience as you,the plant is from a farm. 6 FR died the next day despite wc and adding seachem prime. No fish are harmed though,only shrimps. I suspect farms may put in pesticide into their pond to kill pest like snails.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
    Hmm.. I had a different approach to your situation. I would add active carbon in to the water and increase aeration near active carbon, or try to let the outflow water to pass through the Clarice carbon. The reason is sometimes I do think that the massive water change and the addition of new chemicals are the cause, rather then from the plants.
    A side note, I would always prefer to buy plants that is taken out from the packaging and already soaked in lfs tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
    Meanwhile I suggest you treat the water with active carbon, and don't do further changes to the water. That's my opinion thou.

I suspected the trouble came from the plants, because the shrimps went panic a few moments after I added the plants.

Thanks for the advice. I do have carbon pad in my filter, but yeah, I try the carbon & aeration trick next time

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    I have the same experience as you,the plant is from a farm. 6 FR died the next day despite wc and adding seachem prime. No fish are harmed though,only shrimps. I suspect farms may put in pesticide into their pond to kill pest like snails.
    I see, sorry to hear that. I'll leave the plants in water outside the tank with activated carbon in it for a day or two, hopefully should get rid of the pesticide. I think the pesticide is extra strong this time, lol.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hear about your shrimp bro, hope they are stable now.

I read somewhere that shrimps are sensitive to metal and copper is especially deadly to them, hence any fertilizer with copper or medication with copper need to be handled with extra care if you have shrimp in your tank. If you've just put new plants it could be it was fertilized and hence the copper content might be the thing that is killing your shrimp.

Also read that if water parameter change drastically, the shrimp will normally complain by dying..... fragile little creature...

Cheers,