Country
    Singapore

Shrimplet Survival rate and weird death

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bro

Recently my tank is filled with alot of crs and fire red shrimplets. Batch after batch .. Some were growing bigger while there are still many little shrimplets hiding around. These few days i took my time to sit in front of my tank to observe and i realise some shrimplets died motionless.

The weird thing is, i spotted 3 shrimplets dead in a span of a week, 2 of which were snow white shrimplets while another one was a crs. All were dead without a reason as in they were not molting and died nor were they attack or what. They just died peacefully. 2 of them were still holding on to a christmas moss and even when i remove the piece of moss, the shrimplet was still holding on it. It looks like a sudden death or heart failure to me.

Water quality all alright. And the other shrimplets were surviving well. Hence i would like to seek some seniors point of view or some experiences they had encountered regarding shrimplet survival rate.

Thank

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimplet Survival rate and weird death

Hi Bro,

I have the same problem too, there is a few cherry shrimlet death in my tank as well. My friend which introduce this hobby to me also encounter the same problem.

What our thought are that some shrimplet might not be as stronge as other hence they RIP. The other live on. Is lucky that I can see their body usually their death is unknow due to their size easily eaten up by others.

2) tank have reach their maximal capacity thus lack of O2, l suspect my current tank might be going through that hence I put in a pump striaght away. My is a 1.5ft tank. 14 adult cherry and crs. 40-60 shrimlet.

Cheers
    Enjoying every mins of the process. Happy Shrimping.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Guys, do they usually die after water change? for me they die after change partial water, if never change, never die

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I never change water ... just top up ...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Erm firstly comfirm over crowding so many shrimps in a 1.5ft tank XD
    Therefore when they are molting the other shrimps disturb them as their hiding but due to the amount of shrimps the hiding space is limited or n therefore this maybe the reason for your deaths.
    Secondly maybe you did not feed enough eat (meat based) for their shell to grow back and hence when their molting will be affected Plus combine with the first reason more deaths.
    Thirdly due to your amount of shrimps MAYBE your ammonia high and golden shrimps being the more sensative shrimp pass away first.
    Fourthly gh build up
    Fifth nitrate build up

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xconnect. View Post
    Therefore when they are molting the other shrimps disturb them as their hiding but due to the amount of shrimps the hiding space is limited or n therefore this maybe the reason for your deaths.
    Secondly maybe you did not feed enough eat (meat based) for their shell to grow back and hence when their molting will be affected Plus combine with the first reason more deaths.
    Thirdly due to your amount of shrimps MAYBE your ammonia high and golden shrimps being the more sensative shrimp pass away first.
    Fourthly gh build up
    Fifth nitrate build up
    Seems like it's jumping to a conclusion pretty quickly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe I too overreacting sorry I edit abit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fourthly gh build up
    Fifth nitrate build up
    Bro you mean my tank. My is 1.5ft. Hahaha

Bro Chansl have not stated his tank size yet.

I thing ask him first. Hahaha

Cheers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

OH LOLS sorry I looked at the wrong tank specs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Mine is a two feet tank. as I mentioned the shrimp is in a piece. Not molting nor attack. Overcrowding issue. I don't think so because there around twenty plus adults and the rest are all very small. I added prefilter to give additional boost to my ehiem 2224 filters . Nitrate issue. don't think so I just tested is still zero.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bro Chansl,

i suggest you use distilled water, also top up using drip method? so that there wll not be a shock to it? and lastly maybe you can adjust the water parameters like the ph, gh, tds, before letting the water in the tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank guppy bro .. i am using distilled water to top up as i worry about tap water .. I agree about the dripping method into the tank .. because i usually dont .. shall take note of that

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What's your TDS readings?
    I'm not 100% sure but I feel that some waterchange is still necessary to replace depleted electrolytes and minerals in the water, which are converted into an inactive state due to redox or other metabolic processes.

No harm doing some small waterchanges and see if there's improvements. If you are using distilled water, remember to add some form of minerals back in. I had also faced such mystery deaths from time to time although the tank parameters are all fine. There're many things we still have not fully understood yet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro chansl,

If i remember, i read your post on using ADA New Amazonia soil?
    I've started my cycling on 1st April this year which the same soil, and after testing all the parameters on the 3rd week, it passed the water parameter test and i slowly put in my shrimps like cherry, yellow and sakura and only 1 CRS. But roughly about 1 week after, the cherry and sakura starts to die (Juvenile to Adult). My PH was like 6.8, KH2 and GH5. The ammonia, NO2 and NO3 all 0.

And their deaths symptoms are like yours. They simply hang only the plants motionless and died. On average, i got about 3 deaths per day. The deaths are unexplainable. Got a bro told me that it may be the batch of soil which is problematic but i cannot tell. Mine is a 2 ft and i've removed all the rocks as well. Ironically, my CRS is still surviving until now.

Until theres one day, i got 6 shrimps died. I was pretty upset and panic. I changed 30% of the water. And subsequently, i only top-up the water. And now, shrimps are living good. Still got about 1 shrimp died every 2 days or 3 days but at least i know my tank conditions are improving. But unfortunately, for now, my PH is about 7, KH2, GH3. Hmm... to me, as long as they won't die, should be good enough for me. A number of shrimps are bellied now and there are also alot of shrimplets now too.

And along the course of finding out the problem, i've aerated my water with an air pump, improvedmy canister flowrate to an ideal rate and also catch all those unwanted nymphs. About 5 i've caught so far and yes, they will kill the shrimps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro chansl what is your tanks ph?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro

I dont test TDS but i think tds is pretty low as the colour of my shrimp is not as thick as they should .. I agree with you that water change seemed to be inevitable .. I will do some minor change ..thank !

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    What's your TDS readings?
    I'm not 100% sure but I feel that some waterchange is still necessary to replace depleted electrolytes and minerals in the water, which are converted into an inactive state due to redox or other metabolic processes.

No harm doing some small waterchanges and see if there's improvements. If you are using distilled water, remember to add some form of minerals back in. I had also faced such mystery deaths from time to time although the tank parameters are all fine. There're many things we still have not fully understood yet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am currently using ADA and Gex mix ..Wow .. if that is the case, then it is pretty scary as i just got more shrimps to make my tank dont look so empty .. haha .. alright shall monitor .. i dont always look at my tank so i cant say what is the death rate of my shrimplet .. but i think wont be as much as yours as i still have pretty alot of shrimplets .. I think for your case, maybe you would want to consider changing or reset your tank cause if cherry can die, mean highly crs wont make it there either .. if it is really soil problem .. why not change to other brand soil..

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Hi bro chansl,

If i remember, i read your post on using ADA New Amazonia soil?
    I've started my cycling on 1st April this year which the same soil, and after testing all the parameters on the 3rd week, it passed the water parameter test and i slowly put in my shrimps like cherry, yellow and sakura and only 1 CRS. But roughly about 1 week after, the cherry and sakura starts to die (Juvenile to Adult). My PH was like 6.8, KH2 and GH5. The ammonia, NO2 and NO3 all 0.

And their deaths symptoms are like yours. They simply hang only the plants motionless and died. On average, i got about 3 deaths per day. The deaths are unexplainable. Got a bro told me that it may be the batch of soil which is problematic but i cannot tell. Mine is a 2 ft and i've removed all the rocks as well. Ironically, my CRS is still surviving until now.

Until theres one day, i got 6 shrimps died. I was pretty upset and panic. I changed 30% of the water. And subsequently, i only top-up the water. And now, shrimps are living good. Still got about 1 shrimp died every 2 days or 3 days but at least i know my tank conditions are improving. But unfortunately, for now, my PH is about 7, KH2, GH3. Hmm... to me, as long as they won't die, should be good enough for me. A number of shrimps are bellied now and there are also alot of shrimplets now too.

And along the course of finding out the problem, i've aerated my water with an air pump, improvedmy canister flowrate to an ideal rate and also catch all those unwanted nymphs. About 5 i've caught so far and yes, they will kill the shrimps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Xconnect bro !! How are you

My ph is around 6.1

Bro chansl what is your tanks ph?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chansl View Post
    I am currently using ADA and Gex mix ..Wow .. if that is the case, then it is pretty scary as i just got more shrimps to make my tank dont look so empty .. haha .. alright shall monitor .. i dont always look at my tank so i cant say what is the death rate of my shrimplet .. but i think wont be as much as yours as i still have pretty alot of shrimplets .. I think for your case, maybe you would want to consider changing or reset your tank cause if cherry can die, mean highly crs wont make it there either .. if it is really soil problem .. why not change to other brand soil..
    Ya, still finding time and money to reset the tank. Haha...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chansl View Post
    Hi bro

I dont test TDS but i think tds is pretty low as the colour of my shrimp is not as thick as they should .. I agree with you that water change seemed to be inevitable .. I will do some minor change ..thank !
    Hi Bro, I suggest you test your TDS first, if is low increase it, it might solve your problem. Because when I started not long I have this problem my tank is stable and matual as well. I have death from adults & berried CRS, give birth and die. Every 1-2 days 1 death.
    So found out this thing TDS. Do some read out, it contain some mineral which shrimps need as you said, it will improve their color.
    So i increase my TDS, true enough death stop my CRS color improve.
    Cheers