Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Loss of Organic Carbon? (Seachem Excel)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Loss of Organic Carbon? (Seachem Excel)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

trying out a new office tank with bare minimum equipment and maintainence. Don't want my boss to think that i have so much time that i can afford to maintain and upkeep a fish tank in the office.

Some stats:
    1.5 ft tank
    Undergravel filter
    No base fert (all my tanks are base fert less and most plants are doing well)
    Lonestar gravel (about 2-3 cm(
    'Williow' Moss - from NA
    11W PL clip on light (arghh... got the white/pink tube!!! )

Intend to use it to breed cherry shrimps in the office...

Some problems:
    1. Reason why I used the UGF is for circulation. I rather not have a clip-on filter since i think the filter will most likely suck all my baby shrimps...
    Hence decided to experiment with the UGF. If I fill up the tank with enough water, i can probably reduce the surface agitation.

Was going to try Seachem Flourish Excel as the source of carbon. I guess the willow moss will probably do ok even without this but just wanted to be extra sure that it will grow quickly.

Problem: Will the surface agitation lead to loss of carbon, like in the case of co2? Chan told me to reduce the surface agitation to reduce loss. But what exactly is 'organic carbon'? Does it escape like dissolved co2?

2. The water level is about 1.5inch from the top of the tank. Will the cherry shrimps jump? Not so sure about cherry shrimps but I've heard of malayan shrimps jumping out of tanks.
    Need a cover?

Thanks guys :P

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Some people whom used excel had higher mortality rate for shrimps. I think you have to consider the price as well. Not cheap.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you are having low light and plants like moss, forget about the filter totally...... there's an article on low maintenance tanks somewhere in the articles section, and there were a few threads on this topic a few weeks ago....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    organic carbon is simply some form of a sugar like compound that some plants can consume for a carbon source.

My office tanks (with one betta ) and (4 guppies) (each of which has less than 2 litres of water each), runs on excel, some fluorish , moss, money plant and anubias

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A non-CO2/ low light tank basically means a very rich and thick substrate with mulm at the very base to kick start things and no water changes unless prunning/uprooting work is done. The key is to balance fish load/feedings(fertilizers for plants) with the amount of plants(those that can grow in a no CO2 and low light conditions). Water changes can be done every 3-6months...pretty lazy method but limited plant types though.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Loss of Organic Carbon? (Seachem Excel)

I'm using the smallest Eden internal filter and it works fine. The baby shrimps even survive in the filter!!!

As for the CO2, you can either use low maintenance plants with DIY CO2. Much better option IMO

[quote:ad3338a539="learner"]1. Reason why I used the UGF is for circulation. I rather not have a clip-on filter since i think the filter will most likely suck all my baby shrimps...
    Hence decided to experiment with the UGF. If I fill up the tank with enough water, i can probably reduce the surface agitation.

Was going to try Seachem Flourish Excel as the source of carbon. I guess the willow moss will probably do ok even without this but just wanted to be extra sure that it will grow quickly.

Problem: Will the surface agitation lead to loss of carbon, like in the case of co2? Chan told me to reduce the surface agitation to reduce loss. But what exactly is 'organic carbon'? Does it escape like dissolved co2?[/quote:ad3338a539]

Yes, they do jump. And that is if there are fish inside that will nip. I've a 100% shrimp tank and perhaps 1 or 2 jump to death every 3 months.

[quote:ad3338a539="learner"]2. The water level is about 1.5inch from the top of the tank. Will the cherry shrimps jump? Not so sure about cherry shrimps but I've heard of malayan shrimps jumping out of tanks.
    Need a cover?[/quote:ad3338a539]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    "Hi guys,

trying out a new office tank with bare minimum equipment and maintainence. Don't want my boss to think that i have so much time that i can afford to maintain and upkeep a fish tank in the office. "

Oh this is easy advice, get a new boss.

I have a 4 gal cube, I use a 13w light open top design, no water changes, prune once a month maybe........., a few guppies, snails, shrimp etc, a tiny Azoo filter and that's it, I do feed the tank daily, but that's it.

The tank looks better than the AGA contest nano tanks and it NON CO2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I have a 2 feet tank with the following specs....

size: 2 x 1 x 0.75
    filter: Eden 316 at 4 hours daily
    light: 3x 15w FL at 6 hours daily
    gravel : cheap aquarium gravel
    base fert : nil
    water change : nil (top up water once a week)
    dosing : nil
    fan : 2 x 6" DC fan

critters : 100+ shrimps (cherries, green, blue, tiger, mosquitoes, started off with 30 shrimps), 4 x lampeyes, 2 x silvertips

plants : java moss, willow moss, nanas, mini nanas, a.coffeefolia, bolbitis, winderluv, java fern, narrow leaf java fern.

This is pretty much a real low tech tank where I only give it a damn when i feel like it. I feel that for a shrimp breeding tank, the less you mess around in the tank, the better it is. Let the tank be as natural as possible.

My 1/2 cents

Cheers
    Vincent

plants :

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, am using DIY co2 in my 1 feet tank which contains riccia. Do you think its possible to do away with the DIY co2 and use excel as a sole provider of co2?

Tank: 10 litre
    Lighting: 13w pl
    Filter: Small Eden filter
    Fertilization: 1 drop florish and iron weekly
    Water change: 50% weekly