Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Most hardy shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am lazy too. No fan etc. My Cherry's will breed when i throw ice into the tank at night when the lights are off. The drop in temperature for a few nights in a row is good enough to get them all breeding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller are expensive in the bill.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's why I use ice cubes and frozen water in old plastic bottles. Just enough to lower the temp every night for a few days to trigger the shrimps to breed. Yes having a chiller will definitely eat into your electricity bill.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I like jeremy's idea...
    *cant find like button*

-----------------------------------------
    Visit and comment my L Tank and S Tank... <-- Click click !!
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy747 View Post
    That's why I use ice cubes and frozen water in old plastic bottles. Just enough to lower the temp every night for a few days to trigger the shrimps to breed. Yes having a chiller will definitely eat into your electricity bill.
    got think of buying small ice packs? those from daiso that come in strips. they last longer then ice cubes.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy747 View Post
    Seemed like a good idea. Trying out tonight.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see all the shrimp tanks at the entrance of Polyart using frozen plastic bottles to cool the water too, seems very effective, can often see condensation on their tank glass.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have the cherry shrimps in my 1.5, 1 and half foot tanks. All similar setup, but the ones in the smallest tank are never in good colour. They also die easily.

I suspect that they don't like drastic water condition changes.

In the bigger 2 foot tank. They are the happiest. And display the best colour and can go the longest without much water changes.

Sometimes I slack and you will start seeing a few adult females start dying. They are the surest sign that your water conditions are way off limits. A quick water change and transferring those that are a bit mabok to the smaller tank with clean water and strong currents helps revive them.

The smaller shrimps are less prone to bad water conditions.

I managed to repopulate all 3 tanks from just two females and one male shrimp which I saved from a disaster. My 3 year old son decided to feed them for me while i was away for a week. He gave them the while bottle of terra bits.

When I got back the bottom of the tank was like red sand. Luckily I have no substrate.

Yes they are the hardiest shrimps I have.

Very easy to get them to spawn by triggering low temp change for a few days.

I have been using PET bottles filled with water and freeze them and put them in at night when the room is also air conditioned.

Sometimes if the fridge has space, I make big block of ice to use as water top up for the tank too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow can just put ice cubes on water surface? Won't the shrimps die of shock if they touch the ice cubes? I see Polyart, they do a partition where their PET bottle is kept in a separate partition from the shrimps. I also want to try this ice cube method at nights, any proper method? how many ice cubes? Mine is a 2feet tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good idea.....just went to Daiso @ Tampines 1 last night but did not manage to find those small ice packs ....I will have to try other Daiso outlets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I went to the Daiso at Vivocity yesterday, found the icepacks at kitchen stuff section. I bought the ones 50g x 6 packs...haven't try though, still in the freezer since last night.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I know the daiso at imm sells ice packs of various size, if you want, I can grab it for you and pass to you at either queenstown mrt.(when I'm going for class) or ang mo kio mrt (when im going for work) as a gesture of goodwill

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=FrozenDuck;738104]I know the daiso at imm sells ice packs of various size, if you want, I can grab it for you and pass to you at either queenstown mrt.(when I'm going for class) or ang mo kio mrt (when im going for work) as a gesture of goodwill

Thanks Bro....it's okay.....dun want to trouble you. I am in no hurry to try it out since I only have 1 malayan shrimp in tank for testing, and will only introduce more shrimps when tank is stable. Will take my time and hunt around...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was trying out this afternoon. 2 x 50g ice packs floating on the surface. I bought zip lock bags (with hello kitty design! lol) from Daiso too, to put the ice packs inside, in case of leakage...

my thermometer shows 25-26°C, but also aircon is on at 24°C. The good thing is no shrimps dead...yet! hahaha

will continue to try tonight.

how many ice packs to put in? for a 20 liter tank?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sootz View Post
    I was trying out this afternoon. 2 x 50g ice packs floating on the surface. I bought zip lock bags (with hello kitty design! lol) from Daiso too, to put the ice packs inside, in case of leakage...

my thermometer shows 25-26°C, but also aircon is on at 24°C. The good thing is no shrimps dead...yet! hahaha

will continue to try tonight.

how many ice packs to put in? for a 20 liter tank?
    those you bought 50g in plastic sachets right, their in a row correct? ( i only saw them in the IMm outlet before.)
    If you want to double seal, maybe can find provision shop who seal their own stuff with strip sealer. If your nearby one, maybe don't need to pay even hehe.

i am using the larger ones myself, i have 3 hard cover ones. Used to dump 1-2 in tank just before going work, those are less likely to leak unless you dropped them.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by J_shrimp View Post
    Thanks Bro....it's okay.....dun want to trouble you. I am in no hurry to try it out since I only have 1 malayan shrimp in tank for testing, and will only introduce more shrimps when tank is stable. Will take my time and hunt around...
    Hi,

Please refrain from using SMS lingo, it's actually not allowed & i would have to give/issue "free gifts".
    Would suggest you to read your own post before or after posting. Then edit away if any, i know alot of speed posters in AQ never read their own posts

btw, most daiso outlets sell 1-2 types for cooler box only, you still have many a days to adding more livestock can go down and buy more $2 items
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 23rd Aug 2013 at 17:30.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah those 50g x 6 packs. When I opened them and was splitting them, I already tore 1 zzz now left 5 x 50g haha

I think I'm using too little ice packs. Will try with 200g tonight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=felix_fx2;738142]Hi,

Please refrain from using SMS lingo, it's actually not allowed & i would have to give/issue "free gifts".
    Would suggest you to read your own post before or after posting. Then edit away if any, i know alot of speed posters in AQ never read their own posts

Hi Felix, Sorry about the SMS lingo thing....kind of habit with too much SMS everyday....

Back to the ice pack topic, I will put the ice pack into a small plastic container and secure the container to the side of the tank with 3/4 of the container submerged. This way, I will not be afraid of leakage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I already stopped the ice pack test for 1 week already after a shrimp died next morning...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oo. Mine was the opposite of your result. When I put in icepack, the shrimp will all come out and stay under the cool surface. Apparently the water directly below the icepack will be cooler than other area. I've been using it religiously daily since i first got from Daiso, resultant temperature not effective, but still cools abit. My first shrimp death only occurs hours after I change water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast