Country
    Singapore

How much ADA gravel to use?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

setting up a new 4x2x2 ft tank. Using ADA powersand and ADA Aquasoil as substrate. How much should I use for 2-3 inch substrate?

I'm planning
    2x ADA powersand (Big packet)
    4x ADA Aquasoil (Big packet)

Is this too much or too little?
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe 3packets of ada gravel will do. but 4 is comfirm enough. In any case you've extra , save it for next time or sell away the excess. You might want to top your base with other substances like bacter 100 etc.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think 2x Power Sand + 1x Bacter + 3x Aqua Soil is enough.

You just need the top layer to be deep enough for roots to reach into the power sand.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pardon my ignorance. What is bacter 100? What is its purpose? Kick start the nitrifying bacteria? I don't have a problem doing natural cycling. so still need this bacter 100?

Power Sand is basically pumice stone and peat. You are to add charcoal and bacter 100 that is a bacterial addition. The purpose is to provide semi-organic material to the substrate solution thereby creating an ideal environment for nutrient cycling. This is accomplished via microbial and chemical processes.

Power Sand Special has more peat and has the charcoal and bacter 100 added to it.

Art Giacosa
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com
    This is from another post. Why does it say bacter 100 is already added to power sand special? Or is power sand different from power sand special? I wasn't aware there is such a difference.

Another question: why do we add charcoal? That goes against everything I know about planted tanks. The charcoal will absorb all the nutrients making it unavailable to the plants right? Or does it leech back when it's full? If it's necessary, why doesn't anyone use charcoal more commonly?
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know about charcoal, it doesn't absorb nutrients I think...
    I myself don't use bacter but I think it should be there for baterii activation.
    I'm back!