Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Mozzies Breeding Ground

Feedback Score

Mozzies Breeding Ground

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone out there feed their fishes with frozen blood worms in planted tank with skimmer?

Mine became a breeding ground and tank was infected(still is) with mosquitoes when they get sucked into the external cannister.

Is there any way to prevent it besides physically cleaning the external cannister or turning the pump off during feeding time?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean mosquitoes are being suck into your external cannister filter?

Feedback Score
    I meant the frozen blood worms get sucked into the external cannister and then after hatch and become mosquitoes that stick around the PL lights and tank perimeter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err... what brand frozen bloodworms are you using? They should be dead... the freezing and thawing process effectively turns their insides to mush.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Call the press! The secret to successful Cryogenics has been found!
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    I think i have the same experience. I use to keep Luo Han Fish in a
    2ft tank using over-head filter. I fed my fish mainly with blood worms.
    U know what, one day when i was going to clean my filter, i open up
    the cover, i saw 10 to 20 mosqitoes flying inside. I was so confused
    as i thought how could "they" breed when the water is flowing so fast.
    The only reason i can think of is that they breed on the filter wool which
    is slidely above the water level. But where does the mosqitoes come from?
    Remember me so that you will not forget me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've heard of mosqitoes or fry breeding in filter but I don't think the frozen blood worm or the skimmer is the cause.

I think the only way is to clean the filter and put some small fishes inside.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:3160329c="superman"]I think i have the same experience. I use to keep Luo Han Fish in a
    2ft tank using over-head filter. I fed my fish mainly with blood worms.
    U know what, one day when i was going to clean my filter, i open up
    the cover, i saw 10 to 20 mosqitoes flying inside. I was so confused
    as i thought how could "they" breed when the water is flowing so fast.
    The only reason i can think of is that they breed on the filter wool which
    is slidely above the water level. But where does the mosqitoes come from? [/quote:3160329c]

Looks like there may be some parts of the OHF has stagnant water (you're right that maybe in the wool itself where it is moist all the time). And mosquitos can breed. Try to seal off the openings with some wool etc so mosquitos cannot enter.

Mosquitoes shouldn't be able to breed in tank if there is fish.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mosquitos tend to prefer stagnant water for breeding...... midges (a non-bloodsucking relative) are attracted to fast-running water, where they lay eggs which turn into bloodworms. If you find the insects have somewhat "feathery" antenna, they should be midges.

Feedback Score
    Hikari is the brand. Suppose to be a japanese product from China......

Thrown away all the worms and monitoring. The only way into my external filter cannister is through the skimmer.

The puzzling thing is that I have 7 discus, 30 tetras, 7 loaches and siam algae eaters in a 3' tank and yet it occurs.

Well.... I will monitor and keep all posted if these frozen blood worms are the real cause or unwelcome visitors into my flat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When you freeze something, the moisture in the worms will freeze into ice. If you recall your basic science, water will expand in volume when it freezes. When that happens, the ice will DESTROY all cell tissues as it expands. That is why even after defrosting, the cell tissues are all completely torn apart at a molecular level. There is no way the worms can come back to life. The reason some exotic frogs can literally freeze into ice during winter and yet come back to life is because they have a chemical which acts like anti-freeze in their tissues, which effectively prevents them from freezing up at a molecular level. Hence they are supposedly "revived" when they thaw. Bloodworms do not have that characteristic. So don't worry, your frozen blood worms will NEVER revive and morph into flies.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BUt I think that sometimes successfully cryogenically frozen blood worm eggs come along with the bloodworm cubes. Once I fed my fish bloodworms, 2 days later I found lots of live bloodworms in my hangon filter. I took them out as best I could and never fed bloodworms again, and I never found bloodworms again in my filter either.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I highly doubt aquatic insect eggs can be frozen, thawed and hatched..... bloodworms in any case do not lay eggs.... adult midges do, and can lay eggs in just about any available safe water container... including hang-on/overhead filters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4ca4f3744a="crandf"]BUt I think that sometimes successfully cryogenically frozen blood worm eggs come along with the bloodworm cubes. Once I fed my fish bloodworms, 2 days later I found lots of live bloodworms in my hangon filter. I took them out as best I could and never fed bloodworms again, and I never found bloodworms again in my filter either.[/quote:4ca4f3744a]

Ten known vertebrate species can tolerate some level of freezing; all are reptiles or amphibians, and all are found only in North America.

The normal habitat of the midges (adult stage of bloodworms) are tropic ponds, not the Arctic or Antartica. The wood frogs that have this "anti-freeze" live in the Arctic and due to necessity, evolved this ability to survive freezing. I seriously doubt that midges would evolve this ability. HOWEVER, there are certain types of midges that do live in very cold climates. Even assuming that anti-freeze midges do exist, think about this:

Would Hikari purchase worms from North America? Would they go to the Arctic or Antartica just to get bloodworms which have this anti-freeze ability? It's simply not cost-effective. They're running a business and freight is a major cost.

If what you saw did indeed happen, there must be a logical reason to it. I doubt that it's because of anti-freeze eggs/midges. Probably some other reason which we are not aware of.

Actually, the best way is to find out from everyone here in the forum. Does anyone else have similar experiences of live bloodworms coming from frozen bloodworms? If there really is such a trend, maybe we're on to something BIG here.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, the only alternate explaination i can think of is that the dead bloodworms exude odour that draws the adult midges to lay their eggs in the tank. Maybe adults get the need to procreate when they smell the younger generation dead?
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bloodworms are BEETLE larvae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    and why does your planted tank need a skimmer?

skimmer only works for salt water.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/pro...a/aa052200.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris,

I think he meant surface scum skimmer.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    I use it mainly to rid off organic film from your arm, floating waste, deaf floating leafs, uneaten floating food.

Everyone seems to be using it, sam yick at Simei and Marine Parade and some aquariums at Pasir Ris.

There are many debates on the internet on the use of skimmers for freshwater. It is said it will improve undesirable biological process on water suraface and improve exchange of O2. Just started my tank so still a novice. Maybe someone besides me are using similar setup??