Images
    Country
    Singapore

green algae on gravel

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've replanted my tank and have the entire foreground covered with glosso. They are growing very well with 72W (for 25G) and CO2 at 2.5 bps. Unfortunately, the lighting is quite uneven (due to PL tubes concentrating in the centre of the 80cm tank). Now the glosso gets some green spots (battling with 3 otos), and the gravel are getting also a green tinge. Would more otos help? I don't have much previous success with yamato (and I think also the rainbowfish will molest them). Does pencilfish also do green algae or just BBA?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for spotted algae on the leaves? try oto

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, the gravel is taking on a greenish tinge, but the glosso leaves does have green spots, but not that serious lah. You recommend more than 3 oto? How many would be ideal for 80cm? My current 3 looks really well fed, always got long poop dragging from their butt.

Also I notice the glass has fine green threads (spread out like grass not clumped) what kind of algae is this? I'm thinking pencilfish might like it. Would you also recommend a fartowella to supplement the otos?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm afraid that the algae on gravel is quite unlike to be removed by any algae eaters. So far the only thing which helped was syphoning the algae infested gravel. After a syphning jobs, I would spread a lightly fresh gravel to replenish the gravel. You may want to try flower snails but they don't really like the soft water of our planted tank.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherwin, I am hoping the glosso will soon cover them up and they will die? So it is not too serious can I just leave the gravel for a while?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I reason why I ask to syphon cos my frens tank also the same story. The algae was infesting the glosso and somehow the glosso was not growing nicely. Helped him syphon as much infested gravel as possible and the glosso grew into a thick layer now.
    Syphoning is not difficult, juz do it while you're doing water change.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm... will give it a try, still have some spare gravel. luckily the glosso is still growing pretty good, they're bubbling so hard some times I worry they "overwork" [:0]

although I suspect I short of certain minerals/elements as some of the leaves are paler on the edge. Currently only using ADA Green Brighty Step 1 weekly, will go and find Dennerle Gold 7 as well. Any other suggestions (other than the Jobbes sticks)