Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: killifish

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    354
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    4
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Hi Ronnie and Budak,

    Thank Ronnie, It is okay if budak has the Aplocheilus panchax. I can always get some offspring from budak later. Anyway I think budak stays fairly near to me also (AMK ave 10).

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    3,148
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    Poh San, my memory isn't what it used to be... but Budak is passing up on the Aplocheilus panchax owing to other commitments, so it's yours to raise, maintain and hopefully breed them... so that other hobbyists like Budak, who can appreciate them, will have access to it in the future. If Saturday 4pm is ok with you, I can pack 'em up for you. Meanwhile, can you safekeep that Ap. striatum pair for me first?

    It's also ok if you wish to keep it till next week... in case you itch to breed them! Just throw in lotsa moss and feed them well. Don't forget about the tank lid because these buggers can jump! Don't worry if they konk... it's still under my account.

    I have also some Aphyosemion australes which are supposed to be 'Orange' but the current batch is throwing out an odd lot. Let's just call them 'Aquarium strain' and you can have these to introduce young nephews and nieces to the killie hobby. Since that'll help me clear up another raising container, there's no charge for the addiction

    Choy, I'm also waiting for you to arrange for collection and will make exceptions about my family time. Let's make it this Sunday afternoon, so that I can free up a tank (read: incoming killies!!!). If you wish to bring your gears and have a go at my killies, you're more than welcomed to do so. In that case, we'll have to make it earlier... so that the killies have time to do their makeup!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    354
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    4
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,

    so it's yours to raise, maintain and hopefully breed them... so that other hobbyists like Budak, who can appreciate them, will have access to it in the future.
    I started to feel the pressure on my shoulder but I appreciated for your trust to give the fish to the hand of a killies niewbie.


    If Saturday 4pm is ok with you, I can pack 'em up for you.
    I am expected to receive a new machine to my factory which means that I might need to work OT on the weekend. I will give you a confirmed answer on Friday night or Saturday morning. I hope you don't mind.


    Meanwhile, can you safekeep that Ap. striatum pair for me first?
    I have passed it to Sia Meng before I read this post. If you do not have time to pick it up, I will go to get the fish before I visit you. Thanks to Sia Meng's sharp eye, I did not noticed the fungus on the male. How shameful am I! I believe Sia Meng will give a proper treatment to the fish.

    Let's just call them 'Aquarium strain' and you can have these to introduce young nephews and nieces to the killie hobby.
    I suppose that I can't mixed them with my current Australe. Australe is a beautiful fish and I am sure that they will like it. Hope their parent won't nag at me of the increasing number of tanks when they are addicted to it.

    Regards,
    Ong Poh San

  4. #24
    Hi Guys, there are about 10 different kind of killies available at kingfisher as of yesterday. You guys might wana check it out , I got my first pair of killes yesterday as well.

    P. abberans
    T. Ocellicauda
    Ap. filamentosa
    Ap. gardneri golden
    N. rubripinnis
    N. Foerchi
    N. Korthasae
    Ap. Australe
    Ap. Bivitatum
    A. Mento
    N. Kisaki

    Hint* Hint* The owner Ian is trying to learn more about Killifish and for those seniors that have the answer to his question. I think you will probably get something special from him

    By the way, here is the address to kingfisher. Blk 32 Cassia Crescent #01-58 . Its very near to Old Airport Road Famous Hawker center and just behind the Singapore Badminton Hall. It is just a 10 mins walk to Aljunied mrt station , the shop telephone number is 63421027
    People come here to shit and stink,
    Others come here to sit and think,
    I come here to scratch my balls and see the writings on the wall.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    3,148
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:b48f6d0342="Roadrage"]Hi Guys, there are about 10 different kind of killies available at kingfisher as of yesterday. You guys might wana check it out , I got my first pair of killes yesterday as well. [/quote:b48f6d0342]
    Dear what's-your-name" 'Roadrage',
    Welcome to the wonderful world of killies and I'm sure your newly acquired pair will bring you much joy. What killifish did you get?

    You've quoted a list of killies but do be mindful that identification and proper names of the genus/species is something close to a serious killie-hobbyist's heart. Mis-spellings and corrupted codes are blooming nightmares for keepers like me.

    There were quite a few typos and mis-spelling. May I know if the list was a 'guesstimate' by you or provided by the LFS?

    I'd like to hazard a couple of corrections/comments here.

    P. abberans
    Should be Procatopus aberrans

    T. Ocellicauda
    Tateurndina ocellicauda or 'Peacock gudgeon' (AFAIK, this is not a killifish!)

    Ap. filamentosa
    There is no such filamentosa from the genus Aphyosemion. Closest possibility would be the Fundulopanchax filamentosus.

    Ap. gardneri golden
    Any color morphs from the gardneri, regardless of variant, should just be tagged 'Aquarium Strain'. FYI, the species gardneri is classified under the genus Fundulopanchax, not Aphyosemion.

    N. rubripinnis
    Not everyone know what the 'N.' means. The first description could have started off with Nothobranchius.

    N. Foerchi
    Should have been Nothobranchius foerschi

    N. Korthasae
    Another typo. Should have been korthausae. FYI, the species name is not capitalized (ie. no capital letter or upper case).

    Ap. Australe
    Should write as Aphyosemion australe.

    Ap. Bivitatum
    Mis-spelling. Should read Aphyosemion bivittatum.

    A. Mento
    Anyone doing a google for Aphyosemion mento would be disappointed unless they try Aphanius mento (see how significant the genus classification is?).

    N. Kisaki
    Should be written kisaki.

    Hint* Hint* The owner Ian is trying to learn more about Killifish and for those seniors that have the answer to his question. I think you will probably get something special from him
    From the way you said it, are you affiliated with the LFS?

    BTW, 'Roadrage', would you mind editing your '3-line sig'? It is helluva crude.

    Comments from our budding ichthyologist, Heng Wah?

    Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    7,920
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    7
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie, since when you took up the policing job :P

    I know very little about killies, other than where to borrow nice fishes for taking pics

    However I do want to say a few words about the LFS in question. I dropped by last weekend. The owner Ian is a nice friendly fellow, an ex-white collar who used to work for a British MNC before turning "fish-seller" five years back Found out we even lived near each other in Geylang during our childhood, maybe even fought over stray layangs but I digress.

    As I said, Ian is friendly and interested in the hobby, but would do well to have some killifish tips passed to him. His killies are currently contained in a multitude of plastic cookie containers, not good. If any of you gurus happen to pass by would be good if you drop in and share some tips for proper caring of killies with Ian.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    3,148
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:5bf0340f0a="hwchoy"]Ronnie, since when you took up the policing job :P [/quote:5bf0340f0a]
    eh Choy, this is gonna be embarrasing, but Roadrage's message was cross-posted at the killie forum and in distraction, responded here at AQ instead.

    I know very little about killies, other than where to borrow nice fishes for taking pics
    Since you mentioned it, just when do you intend to bring your gear over?

    Have not been to that shop you mentioned but if he's serious about killifishes, he's doing himself injustice by not researching on them... or at least get the names correct.

    I cringe at the thought of killies in betta-like holding containers but if I should happen to be in that area, I'll look Ian up.

    Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    7,920
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    7
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:c6ce62407a="RonWill"][quote:c6ce62407a="hwchoy"]Ronnie, since when you took up the policing job :P [/quote:c6ce62407a]
    eh Choy, this is gonna be embarrasing, but Roadrage's message was cross-posted at the killie forum and in distraction, responded here at AQ instead.[/quote:c6ce62407a]

    you're not the only one. only after responding to you did I realise I was in AQ. Both AQ and killies.com looks exactly the same nevertheless why we had to say stands wherever it was posted.

    [quote:c6ce62407a="RonWill"]
    I know very little about killies, other than where to borrow nice fishes for taking pics
    Since you mentioned it, just when do you intend to bring your gear over?
    [/quote:c6ce62407a]

    wanted to do so last weekend but didn't inform you ahead so banished the thought. This coming Sunday would probably be good. What about Friday evening (just asking).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

  9. #29

    Re:

    [quote="RonWill
    There were quite a few typos and mis-spelling. May I know if the list was a 'guesstimate' by you or provided by the LFS?

    Well I just give it shot after getting their name from the net

    From the way you said it, are you affiliated with the LFS?

    Well I am affiliated to the LFS as paying customer and it was because I saw his curiousity over the killifish therefore I ask if there is anyone that is knowledgeable to answer his qns

    BTW, 'Roadrage', would you mind editing your '3-line sig'? It is helluva crude.

    Well all I can say is I like the way it is

    By the way, why am I answering all your question ???????
    People come here to shit and stink,
    Others come here to sit and think,
    I come here to scratch my balls and see the writings on the wall.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    3,148
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:99da7ae871="Roadrage"][quote:99da7ae871="RonWill"]
    There were quite a few typos and mis-spelling. May I know if the list was a 'guesstimate' by you or provided by the LFS?[/quote:99da7ae871]

    Well I just give it shot after getting their name from the net [/quote:99da7ae871]
    Ok... so in other words, you didn't see the list from the LFS, but was your educated guess, yes?

    It's bad when LFS can't provide correct names but it gets sad when fellow hobbyists perpetuate the same mistakes (hence my initiative to 'correct' the typos).

    As a killie-keeper, my main interest is to see a greater awareness of these little jewels in the hobby. Unlike other fishes, only a few killies have 'common names', with the rest of it in tonge-twisting Latin.

    Well I am affiliated to the LFS as paying customer and it was because I saw his curiousity over the killifish therefore I ask if there is anyone that is knowledgeable to answer his qns
    For a LFS to have concerned patrons, is the highest compliment any shop operator can receive. Because of you, I'll drop by at Ian's.

    By the way, why am I answering all your question ???????
    When I'm tired, I rest.
    When I'm hungry, I eat.
    When I'm curious, I ask... and thanks for taking the time to respond

    Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    558
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll try to pay Iran a visit today or Saturday.

    Nice to see more LFS have the keen intention to bring in Killifish.

    Hope I won't be disappointed only to see males in the shop. Errr.... Choy would you like to enlighten me on this?
    Au SL

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    7,920
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    7
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Au, going to Iran?

    I didn't pay much attention to the killies because they were in all these biscuit containers.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Haig Road, Singapore
    Posts
    468
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:d0ba497ef4="hwchoy"]Hi Au, going to Iran? [/quote:d0ba497ef4]
    He's going to bring in the genus Lebias into Singapore :P

    When I was there on Sunday, he had some pairs kept in individual plastic cookie containers, while others were being acclimatised to the tank water temperature - but still in their sealed small plastic bag (just like some lfs selling bettas).

    I believe his supplier gave him the wrong names. I only dropped by to take a look but got to rush off before getting a chance to talk to him. However, previously he did mention that he is interested in getting killies from breeders when I told him that I'm into killies also. Forgot all about that when I was busy with my eggs.
    Zulkifli

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    407
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    4
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:8bc713e7e6="CM Media"]Hope I won't be disappointed only to see males in the shop. [/quote:8bc713e7e6]

    Au,

    I was there few days back & was out in 5 mins

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    558
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I actually interested in getting the Aphanius mento for a friend in overseas. Anyone can verify if the shop has pairs and not only males?
    Au SL

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    558
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re:

    [quote:dab79ce4="hwchoy"]Hi Au, going to Iran? [/quote:dab79ce4]

    It's a typo error

    Should reas as Ian the owner of the shop.
    Au SL

  17. #37

    Re:

    [quote:04980f780c="RonWill"][quote:04980f780c="Roadrage"][quote:04980f780c="RonWill"]
    There were quite a few typos and mis-spelling. May I know if the list was a 'guesstimate' by you or provided by the LFS?[/quote:04980f780c]

    Well I just give it shot after getting their name from the net [/quote:04980f780c]
    Ok... so in other words, you didn't see the list from the LFS, but was your educated guess, yes?

    It's bad when LFS can't provide correct names but it gets sad when fellow hobbyists perpetuate the same mistakes (hence my initiative to 'correct' the typos).

    As a killie-keeper, my main interest is to see a greater awareness of these little jewels in the hobby. Unlike other fishes, only a few killies have 'common names', with the rest of it in tonge-twisting Latin.

    Well I am affiliated to the LFS as paying customer and it was because I saw his curiousity over the killifish therefore I ask if there is anyone that is knowledgeable to answer his qns
    For a LFS to have concerned patrons, is the highest compliment any shop operator can receive. Because of you, I'll drop by at Ian's.

    By the way, why am I answering all your question ???????
    When I'm tired, I rest.
    When I'm hungry, I eat.
    When I'm curious, I ask... and thanks for taking the time to respond

    Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee[/quote:04980f780c]


    Thanks,
    People come here to shit and stink,
    Others come here to sit and think,
    I come here to scratch my balls and see the writings on the wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •