Thread: Neon tetra grill problem

Feedback Score

Neon tetra grill problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I've got 2 neon tetras that are redish around the grill area and they both seems to be around the surface of the water gasping for air.

All the other fishes in the tank seems to swim normally, and not gasping for air on the surface...

I've a total of 17 neon tetra and have lost 4 a day before to unknown reasons...

I did a 50% water change yesterday already...

Can anyone identify what the problem is and any suggestion on how to treat them ??

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tested for nitrites?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi stan

like yimin said test your water for NO2 or exessive CO2......if all these level are in safe levels,.......look at your tetras closely...do they seem to have a white patch just below the dorsal fin.......and/or locked jaw......it may be chilledonella....salt your tank at 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water and keep your fingers crossed.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback...

I suspect it could be amonia poisoning... b'cos I lost 3 fishes in the tank.. lost as in cannot find them anywhere in the tank for the last two days.. 1 is sae and 1 is oto..

So today I took out some plants, search the whole tank and found 2 dead fish under the wood... the oto almost nothing left of it... I guess the dead fish been rotting in the tank and caused a high level of amonia or something like that... did another 30% water change... also wash my canister filter too...

After the water change, I tested my Ph, dropped to 6.5 from 7-7.5. Does a low Ph prevent amonia poisoning since the water now is more acidic ??

Added salt and crossing my fingers...

Just wondering, does those O2 bubbles in the ricca help in supplying O2 at night when both the fish and plant is breathing ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, low pH means less chance of ammonia poisoning
    and no, red gill flaps suggest nitrite poisoning. not ammonia poisoning
    did you take any readings before you changed your water?
    what're the readings now?