Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Life Span and Maximum Size of Cardinal Tetras

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Would love to find out what's the life span and maximum size my cardinal tetras with live and grow to. Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Up to 4 years. Can grow up to 2 inches.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2 inches?

Really?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, are yr cardinals doing well in the KH 11 tank??
    I am hesitating to put them in as it was stated that the prefered KH value for it is between 0~3 ???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There are books and online info about cardinal tetras.... Yes , they can reach 2 inch if kept healthy,well fed and stress free. You can get feedback from those who manage to keep them alive for at least 1 year.....

kH 11 is kinda high(dH is more critical though). Cardinal can still surive though but a less healthy environment..... Since they are mostly wild caught ,they are pretty sensitive to water params, e.g best to have soft water and slightly acidic waters..... e.g 0 to 4 dH , 4.6 to 6.5 pH and temp 23 to 27....

Worse yet, they are prone to intestinal blockage..... so don't overfeed(particully with dried food that expand under water) or they will suddenly die of starvation as their intestines are blocked.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

I guess they are doing well and eating fine. So far only one died. Died from swelling (whitish) of the lower half of the body. Seems like the body can't move, only the head moves. Quite sad type.

So far after removing the coral-like sand and frequent water changes (twice per week, 25%), now my KH stays around 9.Hope to dip it lower thou.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Hi,
    Just want to share, mine is now 3.5cm and about 3yrs old now.
    From my experience this is one of the best tetra in term of endurance and color performance. I have around 150 cardinals in my tank.
    Bought 3 yrs ago at very very small size which I prefer to so they can adapt in my tank and survive until today.

My friend in other city keep around 400 cardinals with 4.5cm length and now almost 8 yrs. Initially he insert around 500 small cardinals as his tank is quite a size (240(L) x 100(W) x 80(H)).
    I think not bad to loose 100 within 8 yrs? Don't you agree?
    I still put first option to have this fish in my planted tank in case I can't get the Flameback Bleeding heart Tetra.
    Cheers,

AChen

Feedback Score
    a_scape, what did you feed to your cardinals. Care to recommend us the food.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    high protein food (e.g. bloodworms and other insect/worm feed) translates directly into tissue growth in coldblooded animals. But it can also lead to depositing of excess fatty tissue (not good in fish as well as humans), and high protein diets also can lead to the accumulation of various metabolic toxins in the body, shortening lifespan.

I have read in old books and articles of tetras like neons and cardinals surviving for 8-10 years in tanks. The advice given is actually to feed sparingly and with a varied diet (mix of animal and vegetable matter). As with humans, I suspect a diet with lots of roughage (fibre) helps the digestary system to clear away certain matter that would otherwise accumulate in the system and become toxic. (*Shameless plug*).

Give your fish a balanced, non excessive diet and good water conditions, with minimal stress (AND of course NO overcrowding, which is what some people still insist on doing), and they should both grow to their maximum size AND live long. Force feeding high protein stuff to pump up them as quickly as possible is silly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, mine is abt 3years bought from Gan. I find that they surrvives longer when fed less. Actually I feed them every other day once, in small portions.

Another group in my 4ft last only a year. They r fed 3 times daily, in small portion, with an auto-feeder.