Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Urgent help with Co2 leak

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I had a very fustrating time with my CO2 setup ever since i added a splitter valve. The story goes like this. I used to have a 2 litre CO2 package from Nature, then i added a tank so added a split valve too. Not too long after the cylinder was empty, which i thought was normal since i had used the 2 litre cylinder for quite some time already before adding the splitter. So i upgraded to a 5 litre cylinder. It was only about 2 months that the cylinder was used up, which is ridiculous by any standard. Not to mention i only use it for 8 hrs per day for 2 tanks at 1 bubble per sec.

Today just went for refill at NA and asked Chan what to do. He suggested i turn the main valve on and off and observe if the gagues show any signs of dropping after 5 hrs. I did that with the splitter setup, and both gauges dropped to 0 within 15 mins. To isolate the leak i took out the splitter and replaced it with just a single needle valve, but gauges drop after 15 mins too. Now i only know i have a leak somewhere but can't pinpoint it. I can't possibly dunk the whole setup in water to test, no container that big. Not to mention i can't soak the solenoid too.

Please help. I am already very upset with this whole sage. Thanks and regards.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    First I would inspect all the joint, splitter value, one way valve, meter gauage and the tubing.

Is there a O ring used in the meter gauage and the CO2 tank?
    Was white tape for the CO2 connector screw thread before connecting the meter gauage?

Can use the bubble test like the PUB did when checking the gas leakage in the house. What he did is use some soap and water and apply to the joint and when bubble from where he apply to the joint then there is the leakage.

Hope this help.

Bregds

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The soapy water test is the proven and usual way people test for gaseous leakage. Can't possibly be the tank, as a fault in a high pressure tank will eventually cause an explosion. isolate each part and test...
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the suggestions. Actually i have used the soapy water test before, but did not notice anything unusual. That was done before after i upgraded actually. However i have just done another soapy water test and noticed that there is a certain spot where bubbles are blown bigger. A bit hard to describe, but it's on this big nut that has the brand name of the valve on it "San Yang" and facing the front. There's 2 small holes on the nut where bubbles are enlarged but i seriously don't think it's unusual leakage cos the holes are apparently manufactured with the nut.

I have dismantled the splitter leaving only the solenoid (which i can't dismantle - too tight and gauges are in the way) and the valve where the gauges are connected to (what's the name for that?) and the pressure test still shows a leak. So i think i can isolate the leak to either the solenoid or the valve where the gauges are connected to. However can any kind souls please reconfirm by testing out their CO2 by turning off the main valve and observe if the gauges readings will drop? I have tried so many times that i am wondering if it really won't drop within 5 hours if there are no leakages...
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Turning off the main valve on top of the CO2 tank the 1st meter reading will gradually drop over days. The 2nd meter drop with in half a day.

I suspect the solenoid coil may be faulty in your case. Maybe it dont pull back to

Borrow a 2nd gauage to verify the leakage.

Bregds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a66be75280="Darkkon"]... However i have just done another soapy water test and noticed that there is a certain spot where bubbles are blown bigger. A bit hard to describe, but it's on this big nut that has the brand name of the valve on it "San Yang" and facing the front. There's 2 small holes on the nut where bubbles are enlarged but i seriously don't think it's unusual leakage cos the holes are apparently manufactured with the nut. ...[/quote:a66be75280]

I think that's the problem. Below that nut is where the screw for adjusting the output pressure is. Gas is not suppose to come out from there. That location is where some regulators tend to fail. I think you should send the regulator back to be checked.

BC