Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need some help with my tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I've been reading a lot in several forums and been reading up on shrimps and snails etc.

I wish to keep a shrimp tank with some snails and guppies or some small fishes. My dad loves guppies, those high graded ones while I really love those shrimps and snails. Very interesting.

After reading so much, I honestly don't know how to go about starting or where to start from? I'm totally new to this, my dad is very busy (he kept goldfishes while I was very young but it was very long time ago) so he can't help me with it.

I really hope someone can help me. I do not have any sort of equipment or tanks or livestocks now. But I've prepared a space for my tank I think I do not wish to keep a big tank at the start since this is my first time that's why I'm totally lost.

There so many different kinds of shrimps. Ones that I like are those Taiwan bee, oh and I saw someone here sharing his Malayan shrimp, that is very nice, can change color! I'm not familiar with the names of the shrimps. But so far my likings are those rare ones.

I have a doubt, is it not possible to keep different species of shrimps? Or is there only a few specific ones that you can keep together? I would love to see a few different species of shrimps in my tank though!

Also what kind of budget are we talking here since I have to start from scratch? As I'm a student and I think my parents aren't going to sponsor I guess.

Thanks for reading my long post! I'm looking forward to your replies!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ and I think you can start by reading the invertebrate section on the stickies..

Problem is that shrimps and fishes don't really live well together..

Setting up tank, it's better to start with 2ft tank..
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need some help with my tank

Guppies are known to eat their own fries so if i was you. I wouldn't put them together even with a heavy planted tank they shrimplet will venture on the wall or ground looking for food.
    So they are naturally not safe from the Guppies. you might want to consider smaller fishes like Neon Tetra or Rasbora etc. But i have personally witness them attack the shrimplet when hungry.

Good luck

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to the hobby, you can check out some step by step journals available in the forum or check out my blog for more information.

Its best not to keep any fish together with shrimps as shrimplets are considered as food for them. The rule of thumb is fish will eat anything thats big enough for its mouth.

If you really loves fish,i would suggest you to keep the separately or consider smaller fishes as per recomended by Bro avex30.

Those high end shrimps are not easy to keep and quite sensitive. For beginners,i always recommend some hardy fish like platy,molly and guppy. Shrimps can wait till you get the hang of the feeding,water change(wc),filter etc issues first.

For beginners,best shrimp to start of are yamato, malayan and cherry shrimps. Personally i keep all of them...haha. Some shrimps will cross-breed. So do some research before you buy,but no one is stopping you to try out...haha

The stuff you are going to spend money on is

• Aquarium
    • Lights(aesthetic as you are not keeping plants right?)
    • Filter
    • Substrate (aesthetic)

Notes:
    • Remember to add anti chlorine whenever you firstly setup,wc,top up...a lot of newbie missed this step.
    • Cycle the tank properly is recomended.
    • keep a low bioload and you should have less hassle maintaining
    • Guppy are poo masters, filter wool clog up fast.Frequent cleaning may required

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the replies guys. Hm seems like guppies are not suitable with shrimps. I heard of tetras too.

Is there any specific places I should go to get all these equipment and shrimps I need? If I'm not going to keep plants in my tank, how should I create hiding places for the shrimps as I heard hiding places are very important for shrimps?

Any senior bros free to join me if I'm going to get the equipment and everything that I need one day?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do check out Clement 328 (Clementi Florist and Aquarium)

Big range of items there with cheaper prices than most of the other LFS although very cramped.

http://www.arowanaclub.com/advertisers/C328/C328.htm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Welcome to the hobby, you can check out some step by step journals available in the forum or check out my blog for more information.

Its best not to keep any fish together with shrimps as shrimplets are considered as food for them. The rule of thumb is fish will eat anything thats big enough for its mouth.

If you really loves fish,i would suggest you to keep the separately or consider smaller fishes as per recomended by Bro avex30.

Those high end shrimps are not easy to keep and quite sensitive. For beginners,i always recommend some hardy fish like platy,molly and guppy. Shrimps can wait till you get the hang of the feeding,water change(wc),filter etc issues first.

For beginners,best shrimp to start of are yamato, malayan and cherry shrimps. Personally i keep all of them...haha. Some shrimps will cross-breed. So do some research before you buy,but no one is stopping you to try out...haha

The stuff you are going to spend money on is

• Aquarium
    • Lights(aesthetic as you are not keeping plants right?)
    • Filter
    • Substrate (aesthetic)

Notes:
    • Remember to add anti chlorine whenever you firstly setup,wc,top up...a lot of newbie missed this step.
    • Cycle the tank properly is recomended.
    • keep a low bioload and you should have less hassle maintaining
    • Guppy are poo masters, filter wool clog up fast.Frequent cleaning may required
    Your tank very swee leh bro!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboss View Post
    He going to rescape his Nike scape soon.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bigboss View Post
    Thanks for the compliment...Glad someone appreciate it... Its a simple scape. Not hard to do but need some patience and luck.

I am rescaping soon as per what uncle felix mentioned and hunting for hardscapes...maybe can go lfs together if can meet the timing. My favourite hunting spot is pasir ris farms, y618,aquastar, NA

Disclaimer: i am not an expert though,i am just a busybody forum member lurking in AQ....If You need expert advice,can look for uncle GOOGLE or ask the masters around here...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol