Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: help with spot algae

help with spot algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    how to remove spot algae on plant leaves? one of my plants (not sure about the name, it's a very common stem plant with good sized roundish leaves) has lots of spot algae on the leaves. are ottos and malayans good enuff? thx!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    otos can help reduce them.. but u cant totally remove all the algae.. remove infected leaves is the best way IMO

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've heard that felowella (spelling?) are very effective removing spot algae on glass. Not sure about spot algae on leaves. Anyone care to comment?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    Usually I have them snip off and watch my fertilization regime and conditions like lighting, CO2 and temperature.
    If it is under control and dun seems to spread then keeping those algae agents, like otos, SAE and yamatos may help to keep them in check. Try using Barley straw in your filter media. They do help reduce green spot algae on glass.

BTW, recently I run out of barley straw in my filter and just fitted on a UV light. Since the use of UV, I hardly need to clean the tank glass now. On top of that water is clearer. Still observing because this will saved me $15 for those straw which last about 3 mths. If UV light does this job well then it is well spent for the long run.

Feedback Score
    hi jellydot,
    how it cost for 1 pc UV light?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thio, UV light I understand is in the region of $150-200. Anyway just got a fartowella from Gan, I'll observe and let you know if it REALLY works.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Do snails prefer algae to plants? esp. spot algae? if so, won't snails be useful to get rid of spot algae and since spot algae is always present, the snails theoretically would never attack plants or at least not much? and using fishes like dwarf gouramis or cichlids to control the snail population a bit?

are there small UV lights for a 2ft tank that's not so ex?

acc to gan, he sold me some coral pieces for use in filter which he says are diff from from normal corals in that they help to control algae. he says it works for his tanks. really works or not I don't know but I bought it! $8 for a packet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I got my JBL UVC-compact 5 watts (smallest but good up to 1200 liters) for about $150. I am using it for my 2ft (60 liters) tank. I think this model is the smallest and nicer looking one available. Easy to install too.
    They comes in 5 watts, 9 watts and 11 watts size varies a little only.

I thought Coral are bad for our planted tank?

fwah! $150! can buy complete new setup oredi! sigh.... looks like I won't smell a UV light ever. but yeah 5W is really low energy consuming. corals bad? I don't think so, I know some pple use crushed corals to increase kh, and the calcium present might be good for shrimps to use for their shell formation too maybe? so far the only prob I've had so far was one rummy kena fungus but that's prob cuz my tank has bacteria bloom and algae breakout, bad water quality, else plants and the other fishes are all ok.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    Sorly, wrong info. JBL UVC 5 watts is only for up to 500 liters. BTW, was at Nature today (first time there). The JBL UVC is cheaper there. I paid $144 for a UVC 5 watts. At Nature the UVC 9 watts is going at $130! Did not see it 5 watts model though. Maybe just alittle above $100.
    Saw some of the moss selling there, a let down! It is so nuah liow. But anyway, moss can be easily revive once in favourable condition.