Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Beware! Solenoid hazard!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    A few days back i posted a thread about my CO2 leaking. Upon bring the regulator back to the shop i bought it from, there was a confirmed leakage from the regulator (at the holes on the nut facing front). The shop owner was kind enough to replace the regulator for me upon hearing i bought it from him. However my solenoid cannot fit his new regulator, so he changed the solenoid for me too.

Of course i was really pleased at this gesture, but after just one day of usage when i came home the next day i found the CO2 not coming out, upon closer inspection the solenoid was cold even though the light was on. There was also a bulge on the black plastic covering the solenoid. I brought it back again, the store owner was again very kind to point out that it's a manufacturer defect and replaced it for me at no charge.

One more day passed, and tonight just 20 mins before i typed this, as i was using the PC near my tank i heard a POP sound following flickering of my tank lights, disconnection of my Internet and a disgusting burning smell. Instinct was proved right - the solenoid literally had an internal explosion and the plastic bulged again. It's pretty scary realising that this had happened before when the first solenoid exploded with no one at home. Should the wires get burnt and start a fire i really fear the worst.

Now i don't even know if i should go back to the shop tomorrow for another replacement.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can ask the shop owner if there is any better alternatives to the current brand? If you explain your situation in detail, I think the LFS owner will try to help you or in the worst case refund you the money.

If you lose confidence in solenoids, you can always do CO2 24/7 but off the reactor at night by running it with a separate powerhead connected to the light timer.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    is your tank standing on the floor or you let your tank stand on something i.e a cloth?
    My friend had this problem keep changing until the last change. when he was trying to get near the tank he got a electric shock on his face.
    No shock when he touch with hand but only face. Maybe face more sensivite to electric current.
    Then he place on the floor (to earth it). Now no more shock and solenoid did not burst anymore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:89308b5dd9="blurrblurr"]is your tank standing on the floor or you let your tank stand on something i.e a cloth?
    My friend had this problem keep changing until the last change. when he was trying to get near the tank he got a electric shock on his face.
    No shock when he touch with hand but only face. Maybe face more sensivite to electric current.
    Then he place on the floor (to earth it). Now no more shock and solenoid did not burst anymore.[/quote:89308b5dd9]

This sounds dangerous.

Better be safe than sorry...

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you buy it from Nature?

If you did, i believe you can go down again.

I change mine twice.
    The first time exploded so Gan replaced another one.
    The second time, feel current on my cylinder tank from the solenoid so i replaced with a bigger CO2 tank instead.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far, most branded German solenoid have proven to be fairly reliable. I have some from Dennerle and they are all very quiet, low heat and does not give any problems.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

This Aqua Medic solenoid alone cost S$270!

http://www.eaquanature.com/store/pro...roducts_id=618

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep hearing the same old problem w one particular brand and it amazes me that people are still going for it and not wising up. If I were the owner of which ever shop that brand is from, I would do myself a big favour and stop selling that model.

I'm quite happy w my Dymax set. I've not encountered any problems w the solenoid. It doesn't feel hot w extended hrs of operation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    elmike, are you talking about the brand with a word in it that is closely related to electricity? :P
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The ADA EL-VALVE which I think is a solenoid costs around 9500Yen (around S$146). I wonder if it works with regular regulators / cylinders.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:ecc1ce5337="crandf"]elmike, are you talking about the brand with a word in it that is closely related to electricity? :P[/quote:ecc1ce5337]

C'mon, we are not pinpointing at any particular LFS, so just name the brand so everyone can make wiser purchases!
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:30b6fda9="chua"]...........
    The second time, feel current on my cylinder tank from the solenoid so i replaced with a bigger CO2 tank instead.[/quote:30b6fda9]

so after replacing to a bigger co2 tank, are there any leakage current?
    there should still be leakage current. replacing the tank does not solve your problem as the problem lies with the solenoid.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:9ac3eef159="elmike"]I keep hearing the same old problem w one particular brand and it amazes me that people are still going for it and not wising up. If I were the owner of which ever shop that brand is from, I would do myself a big favour and stop selling that model.
    [/quote:9ac3eef159]

well, if there is demand for it and margin is good, shops will sell the item. until something goes wrong.......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:8dfd81e69b="Aeon"]The ADA EL-VALVE ...................
    ............... I wonder if it works with regular regulators / cylinders.[/quote:8dfd81e69b]

no problem. if you know how to attach the solenoid to your regulator/needle valve. just take care of the maximum pressure limit, which should be listed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:61fb25469b="Aeon"]The ADA EL-VALVE which I think is a solenoid costs around 9500Yen (around S$146). I wonder if it works with regular regulators / cylinders.[/quote:61fb25469b]

Don't forget it's 110V. Only works in Japan, Taiwan, Korea, USA with out a transformer. That's why a lot of ADA products don't make it here.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tawauboy,

You got me wrong. The reason i want to use a solenoid is because i used to use a 2l CO2 tank for my 3ft tank. It got used up pretty fast. Hence, i had to top up more frequency (troublesome), more cost as well.

Hence i decided to buy the solenod which will make the tank last twice longer because with it, it is no longer 24h operation.

But end up with small explosion and leaking current.
    Hence, i changed to a 3.5l CO2 tank.
    It also last twice longer even without the solenoid.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    oic. anyway, if you are still interested in using a solenoid, take a look at some reputable brands. or those with UL or CE markings.