Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is it too late to add substrate/sand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it too late to add substrate/sand?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, after long at everyone's beautiful tank with sand/substrate, I'm considering adding it to my tank. It might mean I can add some rooted plants too! Currently just some mini fissiden tied to a small wood. So right now my tank has a few guppies and some shrimps(diminishing by the day). I've had the tank for almost 2 months now.

What would you guys recommend as a substrate? I see a lot of people with the small black round ones. I believe that's for planted tank? I don't think my tank will be heavily planted. Maybe some java fern and some mosses on small drift wood. Substrate will probably be for decorative purposes. I saw recently in kittyCat's 26 liter tank that has some rather nice looking white sand. Does anyone know where I can get that?
    A few considerations I have,
    I noted my guppy food constantly sinks to the bottom of the tank right now, will food get stuck in the sand and turn brown if I use white sand? Should I get the black round substrate that a lot of people use?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is it too late to add substrate/sand?

Just my opinion and members do correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Adding substrate especially those that are for plants is a big "no no" when you already have an established tank. You get ammonia spikes and you will need the tank cycled. A sudden spike of ammonia in water will take time before your BB catch up. Of course, you can do that but if you are going to do it, remove the fauna. Remove water, then add the soil. Add back the water. If you use ADA Amazonia New, the ammonia will spike between 4-8. And yes you are right, those small black rounded soil are usually for plants. ADA, ANS, Gex and a few others carries such soil
    2) I might not be the best person to advice on what sort of substrate you should go for but before all this "miracle" soil, we use lapis, soil etc. KittyCat is using fine sand. A few brand carries that. Nile Sand from ADA is nice but i don't seem to be able to find it. Gex carries it too. I got mine from Seaview. Oh and the reason why she chose that sand is because of her Corydoras. Corys love to dig the bottom. Quartz or any sharp substrate will be bad for them.
    3) It is a hassle to clean tank that has sand. At least for me. Gravels are easier of course. Worst to clean is a mixture of soil and sand. (See those folks that uses soil and then they use the sand to make a path, river or an open area for their scape)

Get kittycat's input on how she clean her tank.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If all you want is java ferns & moss, then there is no need for soil.
    If you want to put sand, its no problem. Just put the sand slowly in. Put in a small scoop, lower down slowly till near the bottom and let go.
    I have no problems cleaning my sand, just put a gravel cleaner slightly above and the dirt, which will be lighter than the sand, will be siphoned away.
    More than ONE fish = Fish
    More than ONE species of fish = Fishes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can I just plant the fern into the sand? Any recommended sand? My shrimps and fishes should be fine if they accidentally ingest the sand right? Cause the food sinks really quickly..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You cant plant the fern into the sand. It should be tied to a drift wood. Dont worry, the fish wont eat the sand. If they do, they will spit it out.
    More than ONE fish = Fish
    More than ONE species of fish = Fishes

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to add on to hadric, if you play fern or rather thick rhizome plants in sand the rhizome will slowly darken and die.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh right! cool! thanks guys, I'm tempted to get white sand like kittyCat's or similar!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys, what about Dennerle Nano Shrimp Quartz? is this the one that they use in the shrimp tanks at poly art?
    Last edited by gumball; 13th Sep 2012 at 01:38.