Images
    Country
    Singapore

canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    thinking of switching to external canister filter...feel that this would minimise disturbance to plants during maintenance and cleaning and maybe also better circulation?

But worry about the risk of water spilling if the inlet/outlet connection malfunction. Advice appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well... at the filterend of both the inlet and outlet hose, the connections are very secure. No worries there.

The other two ends, are simple hose over plastic pipe. There's no really reason those ends will fail as the plastic pipes are usually ribbed and you just push them in to the hose as far as you think is safe. Unless they become loose from frequent detaching and reattaching... which should not be the case.

It's safe.

If you are really paranoid, go so any hardware store or supermarket and get the hose tighteners.. the ring with a screw on it. Get what I mean?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks.
    sorry[did a search on this but could not find any relevant thread], one more question...
    would it be messy when disconnecting the canister for cleaning etc? I read from some other forums that various valves need to be connected etc...sounds very complicated [ i am talking about the lower-end model. for the Pro model, i think it is not a problem]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    at least 50% of all fish tank owners use external canister filters, you'd think if there is a problem with leakage/connectors etc, the manufacturers would have gone out of business.

so the answer to your queries, there is no issues with canister filters at all. especially from reputable brands like eheim, fluval, hydor, magnum,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    usually connectors are barbed and slightly oversized so the chances of hoses slipping off the connectors are minimal. most likely you’ll need to use hot water to soften the hoses before they are slid into those connectors.
    and most external canister filters have quick release couplings which makes connection and disconnection a breeze. you can purchase these quick release couplings from lfs to retrofit.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I seem to like the Fluval 04 series from Hagen, both asthetic and function.
    Anyone knows of the local agent or lfs selling?

Would like to thank all bros for valuable advice given. This is really a Great forum. Have learned a lot about this hobby from here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think a ehiem 2213 with the valves will set you back to about S$115. Unless you are looking higher end model, I think ehiem is a very safe bet as spares are plentiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:de56769574="jhansolo"]I think a ehiem 2213 with the valves will set you back to about S$115. Unless you are looking higher end model, I think ehiem is a very safe bet as spares are plentiful.[/quote:de56769574]

6 years agi it was $150
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:586ac66a99="hpeter"] thanks.
    sorry[did a search on this but could not find any relevant thread], one more question...
    would it be messy when disconnecting the canister for cleaning etc? I read from some other forums that various valves need to be connected etc...sounds very complicated [ i am talking about the lower-end model. for the Pro model, i think it is not a problem][/quote:586ac66a99]

Typically a canister filter only requires cleaning every few months or so. Not that much trouble really. Once you get the hang of it, it'll take you about 10 to 20mins. Positioning your tank, hoses and filters to make them easily accessible for attachment/detachment play a part too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hv read on the PlantedTank forum that the Fluval 04 was not very well received. Lucky me. Nearly buy it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you'll have to assess for yourself whether the fluval 04 is worthwhile. don't be influenced by other's comments unless it is a reliability or build quality issue.
    getting an eheim would be a good bet but at a premium.