Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Low Tech Non-C02 Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am planning to start a 2ft low tech Non-CO2 tank. My tank dimensions are 11.75" X 23.75" X 14". It works out to be about 16 US gallon. I have light source with 2 X 8W T5 tubes. Is the lighting enough? As I will be using ADA Aquasoil, the actual volume of water works out to be 13-14 US gallon. Henceforth, lighting is approximately 1.2W per gallon.

I read in certain articles that some recommend to soak the aquasoil in water for as long as 2 months to complete the nitrogen cycle and also recommend flashing out the tank the first time to remove those ammonium that leach out from the soil. Is this the right way to cycle aquasoil? Sorry, I am a bit kiasu as I am setting up the tank for my sister and I am not always there to monitor the condition of the tank in case of algae outbreak. So I would rather be safe than sorry.

If the nitrifying bacteria can grow on the aquasoil, do I still need to add bio media into my eheim filter?

Noted that KNO3 is a controlled item in Singapore now and forumers have recommended the use of CaNO3 and K2SO4 as a replacement. However, I am just wondering if there are any side effects of having Calcium and Sulphates buildup? I dun mind using more recognised products like Seachem like Fluorish Nitrogen and Potassium (Knowing that cost might be higher) as I believed that nutrients uptake will be low since it is a low tech tank.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Low Tech Non-C02 Tank

Hi,

Wpg is only a guage. More importantly is what type of plants you intend to keep there.

Fert might become option for certain low tech plants.

Can I ask if not bio media in filter. What do you want to put? Surely not 100% filter wool right? The bb that will live in aquasoil will be limited to surfaces that have higher contact with water.

I do expect you to have already done some research. Now let you answer some of your own questions.

Does ADA Amazonia 2 and similar aquasoil have nutrient value.
    1:

If aquasoil leaches out ammonia which is plants and bb use. Would it be a win win situation if you use them to kickstart a planted tank?
    2:

In the part you mention kno3 is controlled item. The topic recommend how much water change once a week?
    3:

Will buildup of excess minireals(fert, ect) be lowered when being diluted when doing water change?
    4:

I don't pratice feeding answers. Many get fed and will only say "how how " when something happens. And only learn after something happen.

Btw, I would not try setup a planted tank for others if I have non myself and have no time to do go over often.

Regards,
    Felix
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Low Tech Non-C02 Tank

Hi Felix,

As it is a low tech tank, I guess not all plants are applicable right? I am researching on the plants now and will be looking at those plants which are more hardy (with moderate to low light requirements).

Thanks for the advice on the bio media.

1: I read that ADA Aquasoil has nutrient values but it will normally be exhausted after a while. Henceforth, it will still be necessary to dose in fert into the water column. Am I right?

2: I agreed on the part of ammonium being used to kick start the planted tank but I am concern that aglae will bloom before the tank get established.

3: I read in Tom Barr report that they do not encourage frequent water change, at most a few times a year. I expect to change water once every 2- 3 months. The rest of the time it will be topping up with water.

4: As above...I noted that nutrients will be constantly taken up by the plants and it is also recommended that we should stop dosing fert once in a while to allow the excessive nutrients to be used up by the plants

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

HI,

Here's what is what i understand, There's alot of free play and judgement on the hobbyist end.

1:If you dose in the water column the drain is less thus last longer. The drain on substrate depends on the plants (the uptake from roots) and what is leached into water column. Also, compressed aquasoil will become mud (i would call it uncompressing into powder) eventually.

2:Concentrate on growing the plants not fighting algae growth. (from Tom of course.)
    The common sense about this i like, If you keep on fighting algae you will affect the plant growing and give more chance for algae to flourish. Besides a well planted tank naturally inhibits algae.

Note: even the most well planted tanks HAVE algae, the spores are EVERYWHERE just waiting for the chance

3:EI and EI low tech, don't mix them up. Read 2nd sentence that is the general idea.
    The Estimative Index - What is it?

When you doing low light setups using EI, it still works. but it's best for high light/high tech setups.

Btw, the no water change method is someone else. but discussed by Tom as a non Co2 enriched method.
    Non CO2 methods

4:Just do a large water change or Few water changes through a period of time, Nutrient level drop automatically (ok ok , diluted)

A personal hobbyist to hobbyist word.
    I had a offer from my brother in law, setup a tank for him all expense paid 3-4 feet. After he saw my bubbly HC carpet.
    My reply "better not, need commitment. If need weekly or bi-weekly attention and you neglect. i die correct? every week be your fish tank's maid. i rather play my own tank and read fourm ."
    My sister laughed

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it necessary for me to maintain KH in my tank?

I noted that forumers are using CO2 to control the KH but as this is a non CO2 system, I am wondering how I should do it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Low Tech Non-C02 Tank

Can tell me why you need to?

Reading about people doing a thing is ok, but if you don't know the reason behind it and see if it is relevant for your tank.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I noted that KH act as a buffer for your system. I read on the web that we can determine the amount of CO2 in your system by testing the pH and KH and then cross reference using a table. As far as I understand, in a low tech non-CO2 system, we try to minimise any fluculation in CO2 amount in the system as it could lead to aglae issue.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick76 View Post
    Is it necessary for me to maintain KH in my tank?

I noted that forumers are using CO2 to control the KH but as this is a non CO2 system, I am wondering how I should do it?
    I ever ask this question before and one of the gurus said don't need to add anything to increase the Kh if you're using ADA soil cos "the soil will eventually lower it down again so no point in doing so". Anyway for a Non CO2 tank, the Ph shouldn't fluctuate much so don't need to bother about the Kh unlike in a CO2 enriched tank.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    I ever ask this question before and one of the gurus said don't need to add anything to increase the Kh if you're using ADA soil cos "the soil will eventually lower it down again so no point in doing so". Anyway for a Non CO2 tank, the Ph shouldn't fluctuate much so don't need to bother about the Kh unlike in a CO2 enriched tank.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

My purpose of increasing the KH is also to increase the pH slightly. I know ADA soil has the property of lowering the pH of the water but I did not buy any pH test kit. Henceforth, I do not know the pH of my water now. I am eventually going to add in fishes from another tank. I am concern that the low pH will cause stress to the fishes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Low Tech Non-C02 Tank

Hi,

Singapore's waters quite ok.
    Unless the fish you will introduce tolerance to parameters is very small range not much need to monitor.

Most fish able to live in wide range of waters.

If your in doubt can always check online the range the fish can take. Then buy a test kit to confirm.

Can I ask which fish are you looking at?

Regards.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I can understand your concerns cos i'm also using ADA soil...... What you can do is catch your fishes out into a pail filled with water from it's own tank first than add the new tank's water (ADA soil water) into the pail slowly until about 70% of the pail water is water from the new tank, before putting the fishes into the new tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am keeping guppies.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    I can understand your concerns cos i'm also using ADA soil...... What you can do is catch your fishes out into a pail filled with water from it's own tank first than add the new tank's water (ADA soil water) into the pail slowly until about 70% of the pail water is water from the new tank, before putting the fishes into the new tank.
    It's a sticked thread.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...e-Acclimatiser

I personally empty half of the bag containing the fish after leaving it in water for 20+ minutes.
    Then every 5 minute add some current tank water inside till full.... finally i turn the bag side ways and let the fish swim out on their own while i use my computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick76 View Post
    I am keeping guppies.
    Water conditions for a fancy guppy
    http://bit.ly/T1NMjJ

You may find this useful.
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 10th Oct 2012 at 00:49. Reason: Merge infomation

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Faints. Haha getting technical. Bro, you worry too much. I have 6 albinos in a planted tank. Just recently use a CO2 tank after decomming my 2ft.

As felix mentioned, it depends on the fish. Using ADA soil, after a month or two, the GH and KH will stabilise itself 6-3 around there. Depending on fauna it has its owne tolerance level. A guppy range of PH is 6.8 to 7.8 but bro, I have a tank where PH is 6. They are still alive and kicking. Guppies can also live in salt water. Will kill other freshwater fauna but guppies are among the most adaptable. Of course I don't recommend to this in your planted. Anyway, the message I am trying to bring across is that acclimatise the fish slowly to the new water. By method of drip or what's mentioned above. Slowly making the fish adapt to the water parameters. Changing too much to the water by means of adding chemical will cause more stress. Heck the KH or GH.

I understand using ADA will bring your PH significantly low. 5.5 is what I've heard. As mentioned before this post, acclimatise the fish...slowly. If you are still concern about the PH, don't add chemicals. Read up on using corals to bring PH up.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Low Tech Non-C02 Tank

Give a man a fish and you feed him
    For a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man a fish tank and it lives for a month. Teach a man to keep a fish tank, and it lives for a lifetime.

It is going to be difficult if she does not know how to take care, unless you would be there to monitor the tank every week or every other week.

Also, it will be nice to spread the joy/ poison to even more people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all your advice!!!

I really learn a lot from this forum.

I am conditioning my tank now and will probably introduce plants by mid of next month.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qngwn View Post
    Give a man a fish and you feed him
    For a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man a fish tank and it lives for a month. Teach a man to keep a fish tank, and it lives for a lifetime.

It is going to be difficult if she does not know how to take care, unless you would be there to monitor the tank every week or every other week.

Also, it will be nice to spread the joy/ poison to even more people!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Use plant on dw or rock, low demanding plant like anubias and java seems best for low tech. Java moss too