Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

bringing plants from overseas

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone know what are the regulations for bring in aquarium plants (Hand Carry) from overseas ??? What restrictions there are ?? And how to pack the plants for the journey ???

Or if you can direct me to anyplace where I can make enquiry ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in general, if you are hand-carrying (actually packing plants into check-in bags is fine) plants, first make sure there is no soil (you need to wash and rinse the plants if so) as many countries totally bar plant imports with soil.

It's always best to remove the pots and wrap the plants in slightly damp newspaper before placing them in clean plastic bags which are sealed or tied tight. Make sure there is NO free water in the bag or the plants will rot. Healthy plants can last a few days packed this way.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the reply...so no free water meaning plastic bag is dry..... also plant in damp newspaper.... got it....thinking of looking at some plants in HK as planning a trip there soon. Know of any plants that I should look out for ?? I just started in the wonderful world of planted tanks....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i know nothing about HK....

note that the plants are to be damp, not dripping, i.e. the sealed plastic bag keeps them in a humid environment, without water sloshing inside (which leads to rotting).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I brought some plants back from the Philippines recently, all in mineral wool, in my hand carry bag, no problems with the customs, X-ray machine etc at all.

If you have to keep the plants for a few days before departure date, keep it in the fridge, the normal chill section, just ensure they are moist, not wet.

Feedback Score
    anyone happen to have been to sydney? Wil be going there for a hols and was thinking if there is any unique plants to look out for and any reputable planted LFS.