Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to convert a fish and some aquatic plants tank into an aquascaping tank ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to convert a fish and some aquatic plants tank into an aquascaping tank ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I am currently having a mature tank containing fishes and some java and windelov ferns. No substrate and no CO2.

After looking at all those beautiful scapes in the forum, I am thinking of creating one low tech scape myself. I understand that we need to do cycling for new tank when we first startup due to nitrogen cycle and for the BB to grow. But in my existing mature tank, I am wondering if I should do this, or just add in the substrates, mosses. I hope some sifu can provide some pointers to make this conversion as painless as possible. May I know :

1) Does substrate generate Amnomia, or where does the Amnomia comes from ? I could not find the answer. Most just say put in substrate, plants and wait for the Amnomia turn to nitrite and than nitrate, which may take up to 20-30 days for new tank.

2) Does anyone has any experience to share on converting an existing mature tank into an aquascaping tank ?

My plan now is actually to temporary move all the fishes into a pail while I create the aquascape with existing mature tank water and filter, then do wc daily to speed up the Amnomia removal process, do water test before putting the fishes back in. Is this the only way, or can the fish continue to stay in the tank during the whole process ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to convert a fish and some aquatic plants tank into an aquascaping tank ?

Hi there,

To answer your questions:
    1) Ammonia comes from the fish as waste products.
    2) Yes and it is pretty straightforward.

If you intend to do some planting in the substrate, then it will take awhile. Do the following steps:

a) Drain out some water into a separate pail, remove your existing plants.
    b) Catch all your livestock and place them into the pail
    c) Run your existing filter off the pail that contains your livestock. It is vital that the filter constantly has a flow of water in it or else disaster may follow.
    d) Do what you have to do with the aquascaping part.

As for part D, if you intend to do planting in the substrate itself, you will need to purchase base fertiliser, bacterial cultures to seed the substrate and the necessary substrate of which you have to choose between several options. If you don't want to do this since you're aiming for a low tech scape then just go with a thin layer of lapis sand. I have a tank with a layer of GEX Mutsu sand which is very nice to look at. This is a very good article on what to do for a typical planted tank:

http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn_v.php?aid=21&topic=2

However, if you want to skip all that and do the scaping right there right then with your fish still in the tank. It is very simple. Just get a small pack of sand, preferably one that isn't so dusty to look at. Any fine particles in the bag can cause problems for your filter. This is what I do if I want to do a quick scape with no substrate planting:

1) empty a bag of sand into a plastic tub (thoroughly washed)
    2) rinse the sand until it is clean with tap water.
    3) once the sand is clean, i just scoop it up into a "tau huey" tub and slowly lower it into the tank
    4) pour out the sand slowly and it will land on the bottom easily

Or you can skip all that and follow this video on Youtube that I found awhile back:

Extremely simple method just need some patience and practice.

If you pick the thin layer of sand method, after placing the sand in place, just get some Anubias or moss or Java Ferns on driftwood and scatter them all over the tank. Arrange as you wish and the fish won't be bothered one bit. Just make sure you rinse the plants and the wood well because some plant farms do use pesticides on plants grown emersed like the ones I mentioned. Any trace residue can have adverse effects on your fish.

After the scaping has been done, turn off the lights to let your fish calm down. For most part if you do this slowly, they won't be overly stressed and you won't have to get pails and what not.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to convert a fish and some aquatic plants tank into an aquascaping tank ?

CAreful as to what substrates you use too. Some substrates are known to generate ammonia when new. Do your research if youre going for those planted tank substrates like ADA first.
    Also, whether or not you plant the plant in the substrate depends on the plant. For example, your java ferns should not have the rhizomes buried etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to convert a fish and some aquatic plants tank into an aquascaping tank ?

Thanks bros/sifu... for the inputs.

I am taking my time to research on the best way to do it. No rushing as I do not want the fishes to be stressed too much... I may end up dividing my tank into 1/2 sand and 1/2 soil, with some gravel in between to mimick a 'river'. Some one gave me a cory, so may end up needing some sand in the tank for it to 'play'. I may also need to buy some to keep it company. The sand will also be the place for me to put my windelov and java ferns on wooods on... The soil side will have Java moss as carpet, and some dwarf nana with some long plants as background to cover the filter inlet pipe.

This is the 'picture' of my low tech (no co2) tank that i am trying to create. Please feel free to comment the plants for the soil side is not suitable or there are better choices...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hope to see some photos of your new scape when it is done....