Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Noisy Solenoid

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My 6 months old solenoid is getting very noisy. To stop that noise, I used a screwdriver to knock at it. Will this damage the solenoid? Is there any better way to tackle this problem. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi spen, i recently bought a solenoid so not much experience but i believe that there should not be any noise. Where did u buy from? Maybe u can try bringing it back for repair. Using a screw driver to knock is not a good way, u may really end up damaging it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My solenoid also emit a buzzing sound when it's on. How noisy is yours? I'm used to buzzing sounds so mine might be as noisy as yours in db but just that I don't get bothered by it.

But don't knock it. you might kill it.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    can the solenoid be detached from the solenoid valve?
    check if the solenoid will emit noise when not attached to the solenoid valve. if no noise is emitted without the solenoid maybe some sort of damping material could be uded to reduce/eliminate the noise.

Feedback Score
    The whole assembel can be dismental into pieces but will need to remember which go the where. There is a coil in the magnetic core and small piece of metal tube that are used to stop the out flow. When power off it is release and move forward.

I would suspect the noice came from the coil when the magnetic field are power by the current maybe it is not sufficient to drive the metal tube backward.

Bredgs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Aeon, the buzzing is quite loud. Everyone at home is complaining.

Lately the sound seems disappear after a few hard knock on it. But I think this will not solve the problem permanently. Prepare to dismental it when it sounds again.

Also many thanks for all bros advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Just a reminder / tip.

First one out, last one in. the fail-proof rule.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you tried dis-assembling and re-assembling it?

Mine used to buzz, but wiggling it usually stopped or reduced the noise level. Oddly enough, it stopped buzzing by itself after months and the problem has not returned since.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi vicz, I have not tried dis-assembling. Is it complicate? Anyway it has been quiet for the pass few days. So wait and see. Will try dis-assembling when problem return. Many thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe it was breaking in...
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Usually there is a metal nut at the bottom of the solenoid (important: NOT the plastic nut like thing with the wire going thru it). If you remove the nut, the solenoid should slip off easily.

Sometimes that nut is loose or somehow the solenoid is not sitting properly. Use a dry cloth to wipe the now expose surfaces before reinstalling.

Please observe electrical safety at all times.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Btw, what's the average working life-span of a solenoid?
    I know it's a meaningless question given differences in models and quality/price, but I'm just thinking whether there is any component inside that is subject to wear? If there is, wouldn't it be just a matter of time before it breaks down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    solenoid is just a coil of thin wire. no moving parts to talk about. they will breakdown eventually due to age. how it take depends on the quality of the solenoid and how it is used.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What is the mechanism involved in a breakdown?
    If it's just a coil w no movable parts (there is little wear/ tear), say to create a magnetic field to operate the on/off component, wouldn't it be as durable as a coil of wire? I know HDB wirings can last 15-30 yrs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the part you refering to is the solenoid valve. It is a valve actuated by the solenoid. The solenoid may not fail... but it is the mechanical part actuating the valve that fails. You actually here the clicking sounds of the mechanical part when the solenoid turn on or off.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:64403f0a94="vinz"]Usually there is a metal nut at the bottom of the solenoid (important: NOT the plastic nut like thing with the wire going thru it). If you remove the nut, the solenoid should slip off easily.

Sometimes that nut is loose or somehow the solenoid is not sitting properly. Use a dry cloth to wipe the now expose surfaces before reinstalling.

Please observe electrical safety at all times.[/quote:64403f0a94]

I believe the nut adjust the actuator. The adjustment is not correct, the actuator actually oscillate between open and close like a buzzer.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:b06f4c209f="elmike"]What is the mechanism involved in a breakdown?
    If it's just a coil w no movable parts ............[/quote:b06f4c209f]

the most likely failure mode is insulation breakdown.
    also the solenoid could be engineered to fail after xx hours of operation. solenoid manufacturers need to make money as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:3d38d7ba3b="bclee"][quote:3d38d7ba3b="vinz"]Usually there is a metal nut at the bottom of the solenoid (important: NOT the plastic nut like thing with the wire going thru it). If you remove the nut, the solenoid should slip off easily.

Please observe electrical safety at all times.[/quote:3d38d7ba3b]

I believe the nut adjust the actuator. The adjustment is not correct, the actuator actually oscillate between open and close like a buzzer.

BC[/quote:3d38d7ba3b]

i believe the nut that Vinz is referring to, is used to clamp the solenoid to the solenoid valve. if the solenoid is not clamped properly, it could induce some vibration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9d33cbc65f="bclee"][quote:9d33cbc65f="vinz"]Usually there is a metal nut at the bottom of the solenoid (important: NOT the plastic nut like thing with the wire going thru it). If you remove the nut, the solenoid should slip off easily.

Please observe electrical safety at all times.[/quote:9d33cbc65f]

BC[/quote:9d33cbc65f]

Not on the one I have. It simply secures the portion containing the coil in position. There are no varying positions.