Country
    Singapore

Lighting for photo taking

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Just like to know say, i have two set of lights.

Do we have to switch both on when we take photo.
    I found that the pic taken this way is too bright. ( no flash used)

The result seem to be better when i sitch on only the front set of light.

So how many sets of light did most of you switch on when taking photo.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if your camera has manual controls, control the aperture that way you reduce the amount of light.

a) you cannot have too much light when taking photo of your tank.

b) set the aperture to f/8 or f/11 and then control the shutter speed. ideally you want a perfect exposure at speed > 1/250 to freeze the fish in place (ie: no motion blur)

so unless you have enough light, you can't do f/8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting for photo taking

[quote:1098cb90e4="chua"]So how many sets of light did most of you switch on when taking photo.

Thks.[/quote:1098cb90e4]I think there's no fix rule on how many light we should use, since it really depend on what you're taking, what light condition, and how you like the final result to be. You can have multiple lights strobing just for a shot and yet not overexpose, or just a single light and yet able to achieve great result. So there's no definite answer to your question.

If you're starting, I would suggest you to use a single flash till you are more confident and skillful with it, then you may continue to experiment with multiple flashes if you like. At times, less is better, unless you're doing studio. So learn to appreciate single flash first, before going for more.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would like to stick to auto control first before i proceed to the manual control.

naturetan: What do you mean by a single flash and multiple flashes. Can elaborate.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d79db28136="chua"]naturetan: What do you mean by a single flash and multiple flashes. Can elaborate.

Thks.[/quote:d79db28136]
    What I mean is that try to use just one flash for most of your shots to have good control of it and know better how it works first. This will help you to build strong foundation in your understanding of lights, so that in future, you can explore all sorts of possibilities for creative lighting with different effects. As there is a saying: "Photography is about painting with light", you'll understand how important lighting can affect your overall mood and drama if you master it well enough. Using one flash is one of the very good excercise to understand the principle better.

Generally, not all the time, we use more than one flash to reduce light/shadow contrast, or to put it simply, to fill-in those dark spots. But there're people whom use it or fill-in unnecessarily, which might at times, better to do without. That's why if we've developed a good sensitivity for lighting contrast from such excercise, we'll make better decision in future about the number flash(es) to use, and not just using it for sophistication.

Talking about flash, it's a long article to write, but hope this help somehow. Let us know if there's still further doubt.