Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Problem with PL Lights

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It's sort of a technical problem. I recently my 36W PL tube because it was flickering, and within a few minutes, the new tube started to flicker too. Wondering if the problem lies in the tube, the e-ballast, or starter? I don't dare to fit in another new tube in case another tube gets spoilt...

Anyone who can help me out?

DesmonD

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try changing the starter first. Usually it's the fault of the starter that tubes cannot start / flicker.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    eballast does not require starter. iron core ballast needs a starter.
    is your light set an off-the-shelf unit or diy unit?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Recently, one guy came to me with a 2ft PL set. He had the same problem like you. He wanted me to replace the ballasts to electronic ones. When I opened up everything in front of him, we were very shocked to find that most of the things inside were badly burnt. Wirings, ballasts, connectors all were black in colour & deformed. Even the acrylic sheet was warped & slightly discoloured.
    Desmond, it is advisable for you to stop using the light set to prevent any mishap from happening. Flickering of the light can be caused by loose connection, faulty starter (if normal ballast) or faulty ballast. Bro, if you stay near me, I will be glad to check for you the problem with the set, FOC.

Regards,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's bought off the shelf, about $35 with ocean-free type of casting. Thanks guys, will try to change the starter and see how things go. Will PM Barbarik and see how things go... : )

Thanks guys!!!

Seems like my plants have to go "hungry" for a while ha...

DesmonD

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0c44aa1bba="Barbarik"]Recently, one guy came to me with a 2ft PL set. He had the same problem like you. He wanted me to replace the ballasts to electronic ones. When I opened up everything in front of him, we were very shocked to find that most of the things inside were badly burnt. Wirings, ballasts, connectors all were black in colour & deformed. Even the acrylic sheet was warped & slightly discoloured.
    Desmond, it is advisable for you to stop using the light set to prevent any mishap from happening. Flickering of the light can be caused by loose connection, faulty starter (if normal ballast) or faulty ballast. Bro, if you stay near me, I will be glad to check for you the problem with the set, FOC.

Regards,[/quote:0c44aa1bba]

hi, i have problems with my PL lights too. i wonder if you could help me check what is the cause of the problem. it started when the PL light only lighted up on certain times.
    where do you stay?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I stay around CCK area.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm thats far, I'm staying in the East. Can I seek help from you after my exams?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cardinal,

Since you stay in the East, I can recommend you a place to get your PL lights checked and fixed. This wholesale/retail electrical shop is opposite Sam Yick at Joo Chiat Road. He helped me check my 5ft PL light before and eventually helped me to replace the eballast which is usually the cause of the problem. Only problem is that he can only review through your lighting when he has the time becoz he is usually out of the shop to do his contract work. Call to check availability at 64408869. Sorry can't remember his name though: either Eric or Edmund. He did not charge me for checking the parts but charge me for parts replaced as well as workmanship.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thank you for your kind information