Country
    Singapore

Help needed - Light for Juwel tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I am new to planted tank and need some help. My tank is the Juwel Rio125 (81cm tank) and I have changed both the lights to Dennerle ones. Amongst many other plants, I have glosso as foreground and heard that it is light demanding. Is my setup sufficient or do I need to get additional lightings?

Thanks, WK

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what is the wattage of your light?
    you should aim for ~3w/gallon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think 1 forumer had a similar problem and solved it by installing another FL. Not sure if he had a Juwel tank. However, it still did not reach the 3WPG guideline.

Btw, there is a thread in the APD that talks about glosso not needing high-light. Go to http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/ and do a search.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help needed - Light for Juwel tank

hi WK_tan, i also remember one forumer had the same question. Finally, he added some extra lights and some modification here and there, and he seems to be quite happy now..

I was also veri tempted to retain the hood due to aesthetic reason, however, after sometime, I came to realise that aesthetic cannot overcome nature. WIth the hood on, there can never be enough space for holding enough tudes aiming for 3 W per gallon, not to mention space for fans... My initial hood-on tank had a temp of 31 degree celius and my red plants turned green and green plants turned yellow in last than one day...I followed the advice from the bru here, in particular, vinz - I took out the hood, add on more lites and a fan, my tank temp is now hovering 28 degree, thereafter, all plants turned back to the colour they should be....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:009bd685="tawauboy"]what is the wattage of your light?
    you should aim for ~3w/gallon.[/quote:009bd685]

Hi Tawauboy, I think the dennerles are 18W each. I also have reflectors on them, so is it 18 x 2 x 2 = 72?

even then, still doesn't meet 3W/gallon as I think my should be around 33 gallons.

I guess I have to install a additional FL as suggested by vinz and kelloggs cos I noticed that my glosso are growing upwards. i planted them on Sunday and quite a few are already 2 - 3 cm tall.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ai Yah,
    Another one bite the dust! Take out the light hood and throw into the dust bin!!!!(just joking, you can keep it in corset). I have the same tank and suffered the same problem.

Buy a new light but don't get one that is meant for 2ft tank and they simply spread the 2 PL tubes apart and call it a 2.5ft tank light. This is also my second mistake.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The 3WPG guideline already takes reflectors into account. So, as far as the WPG is concerned, your tank is still only at 18x2W.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to run a Jewel tank. The build in lights are the FL type and it's difficult to put in PL lights. That typically restricts your light intensity.

There is an expensive option you can consider. Try the T5 retrofit lights at www.eaquanature.com. Don't say I didn't warn you, it's expensive. But that way, you can still keep the hood.

The other way which I chose was to remove the light hood entirely. Replace with a PL light set on top. NA has some good ones.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with replacing the hood with a PL light set. The 3ft (90cm) light sets should fit.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi everyone,

Thank you some much for your valuable and helpful advice.

I went to buy the lights last night (managed to get the 2.5ft ones). So now, I have 18W x 2 + 20W x 2 = 76W. Dun think it meets 3W/gallons yet but quite close, I think.

I have another question - can I leave one set of light permanently on or must I connect all the lights and CO2 to the timer.

Thanks, WK

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    WK,
    You really work fast. Too fast. I can't imagine how you can fit in another set of light into the Juwel tank. I should have told you to take it slowly.

Now you only have 76w of light, with is barely ok if you are not too fussy.

BTW, Are you sure the light you just bought is 2x20 or is it 2 x36?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d0f99557ba="kc"]WK,
    You really work fast. Too fast. I can't imagine how you can fit in another set of light into the Juwel tank. I should have told you to take it slowly.

Now you only have 76w of light, with is barely ok if you are not too fussy.

BTW, Are you sure the light you just bought is 2x20 or is it 2 x36?[/quote:d0f99557ba]

Well, I took out the two flaps of the hood leaving only the main section where the 2 light tubes are and push it to the end of the tank. I then put the new ones I bought onto the other end.

I am not too fussy at all. I am just worried my plants are

The ones I bought are 20W. Paid $24 for them.

Thanks, WK

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What do u mean by leaving lights permanently on?? lighting on for 24/7??
    Just get an adapter and plug all the lights to the timer
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, now you got to squeeze in a fan or try to position it effectively so that it blow across the tank surface.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, like KC implied... now you got to watch the temperature.

Why would you want to have a light on 24/7? To view the tank? Not a good idea... it can cause algae issues. Put all the lights on timer. If you want to view the tank during lights off, just turn flip the timer toggle. For me I will usually turn off my solenoid and all but 1 set of lights, when I do this. The other option is to set the timer to turn on the lights later in the day... around the same time the ambient light in the room is bright enough to affect the plants. That will extend the lighting hours later into the night.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:702bec2246="kc"]Ok, now you got to squeeze in a fan or try to position it effectively so that it blow across the tank surface.[/quote:702bec2246]

That's what I think my next problem will be too. I am still considering whether to get the fans (maybe the ocean free as they look quite nice) or a cheap chiller (maybe the Resun one $400++). Dun know whether to spend that kind of money for a new hobby that I am not sure if it will last...

To think that it is so cheap to get plants but so expensive to provide a good place for them and keep them happy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:f34cf5d66b="kc"]Ai Yah,
    ...........................just joking, you can keep it in corset).........................:[/quote:f34cf5d66b]

believe you mean closet not corset!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore