Country
    Singapore

My new 1.5 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey all,

This is my first post. I just moved into my very own flat and was planning on buying a 4ft tank, but because my CFO was making noise about the cost I decided to start with a 1.5ft first and see how it goes before I get a 4ft.

Specs:
    Eheim ecco 2232
    Aquazonic T5 1.5ft
    Borneowild planted soil
    Random coarse gravel for base from GC
    Borneowild steps 1,2,3 for initial startup
    Stones from Seaview

Plants:
    Glosso
    Hairgrass

Would appreciate comments and advise. Hardest part I felt of this whole experience so far is separating the glosso. I got lazy and started planting clumps because I found it took too much effort to separate individual strands.

Cheers all!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My new 1.5 ft tank

Hey there. Welcome here!
    Well to me it feels a little artificial and empty. Try using the rule of thirds. Go to an article from fish-etc (I'm on tapatalk so can't get it for you) about aquascaping. A lot of information there.
    Any idea on your fauna yet?
    All in all,have fun!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My new 1.5 ft tank

I was looking around for some inspiration but couldn't find any really awesome looking rocks so I tried to make do with what I could find. Was wondering if it would look better after the plants grow in and spreads out.

I think I'll get some shrimps in there with some cute lookin big eyed small fishes I saw in the last display tank at gc. Got to find out what they're actually called.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to the club!

I too am new to this hobby as well. Have been to quite a few LFS and farms around the island recently and likewise was not able to find any rocks that stand out. Recently chanced upon an online store that seems to offer quite a good range of nice looking rocks.

Here's the url:
    http://mizuworld.com/product/9/29/26

I did not place any order though as I'm no longer keen in Iwagumi setup.

Looking forward to more updates of your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi, may i know whether your tank is acrylic or glass? It does not have the green paste at the side.

personally i feel that your water level is slightly too high, it will be good if you reduce it slightly

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Welcome to the club!

I too am new to this hobby as well. Have been to quite a few LFS and farms around the island recently and likewise was not able to find any rocks that stand out. Recently chanced upon an online store that seems to offer quite a good range of nice looking rocks.

Here's the url:
    http://mizuworld.com/product/9/29/26

I did not place any order though as I'm no longer keen in Iwagumi setup.

Looking forward to more updates of your tank.
    I saw mizuworld too but didn't quite understand how the rock purchase works. For the price do I just get one rock of the size or a bunch? I also didn't know if it made sense to blind purchase rocks like that. Maybe someone who has bought from them before can let me know how it works and how the rocks were like.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    hi, may i know whether your tank is acrylic or glass? It does not have the green paste at the side.

personally i feel that your water level is slightly too high, it will be good if you reduce it slightly
    It's a glass tank. Bought from GC they told me it was crystal glass. I originally wanted a 30cm cube which they had as well but this one was supposedly the same quality but half the price of the 30cm. Reason they gave was that it came from a different manufacturer. It looked the same to me so I just went for the cheaper and bigger alternative.

I reduced the water level today after I did my first water change. Still no change on my glosso. I hope they don't all melt away.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi TS,

Rocks
    If you are trying out iwagumi style, rocks is essential. Finding rocks take a while. There are pros and cons when purchasing online. You never know the shape of the rock you're getting. At times, you might received the wrong type of rocks altogether. It's a little bit of luck.

If you are patient, go rock hunting. Some of the places, I can suggest as follows:-
    1) Seaview
    2) C328
    3) Mainland Tropical (Bring your wife and kids. Let them feed the kois while you sneak to the back and get them rocks)
    4) Around Pasir Ris area where Mainland is, there are other fish farms as well. They do sell rocks.
    5) Most residential LFS should sell rocks but might be slightly expensive.
    6) GC has rocks too.

Do google "iwagumi for beginners" and read it up. Plus go youtube and get some inspiration. Nothing wrong in copying. I did the same when I started. Iwagumi takes practice. It's about placement. Run through pictures of iwagumi scapes. Some folks have good creativity and they do things like fossil with hairgrass or a mountain scape. I believe you've gone to GC. Take a look at how they do their scapes. Inspiring and poisoning. Go to Aquascaping section and see how other hobbyist does it.

However, remember though, at the end of the day, regardless of the comments and feedback you get, you and your family are the one who's going to come home and look at it. It's your own "canvas"

Plants
    Those hobbyist who really seperate Glosso and HC into individual strands, I really salute you. I cut the HC into small squares and plant them in. Try imagining doing single strands on a 4ft.

TS, Good try! Keep at it. Don't rush fauna. Some folks take 2-6 months before they add fauna. They are more focus on the scape. 4ft to do iwagumi takes a long time. What takes a long time is getting the material. Especially the rocks. And yea, CFO will surely scold. Been there. To calm her down, I bought hamsters. =)
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Hi TS,

Rocks
    If you are trying out iwagumi style, rocks is essential. Finding rocks take a while. There are pros and cons when purchasing online. You never know the shape of the rock you're getting. At times, you might received the wrong type of rocks altogether. It's a little bit of luck.

If you are patient, go rock hunting. Some of the places, I can suggest as follows:-
    1) Seaview
    2) C328
    3) Mainland Tropical (Bring your wife and kids. Let them feed the kois while you sneak to the back and get them rocks)
    4) Around Pasir Ris area where Mainland is, there are other fish farms as well. They do sell rocks.
    6) GC has rocks too.

Do google "iwagumi for beginners" and read it up. Plus go youtube and get some inspiration. Nothing wrong in copying. I did the same when I started. Iwagumi takes practice. It's about placement. Run through pictures of iwagumi scapes. Some folks have good creativity and they do things like fossil with hairgrass or a mountain scape. I believe you've gone to GC. Take a look at how they do their scapes. Inspiring and poisoning. Go to Aquascaping section and see how other hobbyist does it.

However, remember though, at the end of the day, regardless of the comments and feedback you get, you and your family are the one who's going to come home and look at it. It's your own "canvas"

Plants
    Those hobbyist who really seperate Glosso and HC into individual strands, I really salute you. I cut the HC into small squares and plant them in. Try imagining doing single strands on a 4ft.

TS, Good try! Keep at it. Don't rush fauna. Some folks take 2-6 months before they add fauna. They are more focus on the scape. 4ft to do iwagumi takes a long time. What takes a long time is getting the material. Especially the rocks. And yea, CFO will surely scold. Been there. To calm her down, I bought hamsters. =)
    Wow, thanks for taking the time out to write so much. I think I will do just that, run around some of the farms and other lfs to look out for more rocks for the 4ft when I've got the time. Spent quite a few hours this evening at max koi farm, though that was more of a work thing, they didn't seem to have rocks.

I bought a lot of the aqua journal mags for inspiration via coverleaf. Very informative with lots of pictures and tips. It's just very pro ada since its an ada magazine.

I guess I should play around and practicing Iwagumi style but I thought since I've already filled my tank and planted I should just continue with this scape for now and see if I can keep my plants alive first before tearing it up and reshaping.

The thing with HC, I seriously can't imagine planting single strands on a 4ft, but I'll figure out a way later when I reach that bridge. Haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update! Day 4 Re: My new 1.5 ft tank

So I got home at about 8.30 today, last few days I did not notice much happening. Did one water change 30% on day 2 and will do another today. I missed day 3.

Anyway I noticed that the HC seems to be growing and extending their roots. Is it right or am I dreaming? Does HC extend across from their stalks and then roots extend towards the substrate or does HC extend their root networks first?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wardup DrunkGod! looking good for a try out tank. hope i get mine started soon too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by SmirkDeGecko View Post
    Wardup DrunkGod! looking good for a try out tank. hope i get mine started soon too.
    when you want start you tank?maybe can start with 2ft tank first.
    when you start please update here ok.

Collect bucephalandra and crypt is part of my life.Now i have more than 30 species of Bucephalandra . hope can collect more more. make me fall in love is Bucephalandra Molteyana Deep Purple

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Week 1 update

So it has been a week. My glosso is growing well and spreading pretty fast. I bought some tropica riccia from fishybusiness. Best service I've encountered so far. Roger delivered my order personally and we had a nice chat which was cool. I got riccia stones and riccia line from him too.

The riccia was tied to the stone and added today. I also started my fertilizer regime yesterday. 1 squirt of brightly k and step 1 every water change.

I didn't expect the glosso to spread this fast so I'm pretty excited.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

riccia as carpet or on stone was nice, but need always trim it, when it was to thick , riccia will come out

Collect bucephalandra and crypt is part of my life.Now i have more than 30 species of Bucephalandra . hope can collect more more. make me fall in love is Bucephalandra Molteyana Deep Purple

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Hi TS,

Rocks

1) Seaview
    2) C328
    6) GC has rocks too.

Plants

May i know what GC stand for? any where is that shop?