Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: stupidest way for a fish to die.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

stupidest way for a fish to die.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just had to tell everyone about this:

i'd just gotten a zebra oto for my tank.
    after letting the fish settle in its plastic bag in the tank for 15 minutes i decided to use my betta scoop to transfer the fish to the tank (i tried using a net but the fish kept hiding in the corner of the bag).

but just as i released the stupid fish into the tank, it decided to get its head buried AND stuck inside one of the folds of the cloth scoop...
    after half an hour of shaking and tugging and inverting and going to the extent of cutting a bit of the scoop, i decided to leave the scoop in the tank and let the fish swim out of it when it wanted to, as it looked kinda stressed...

and as you might have expected...
    ITS DEAD NOW...head still stuck...and i still had to use strength to remove the carcass out of the scoop.

SIENZ....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had a similar problem with the serrated dorsal fin of some barbs. They can get stuck in very fine mesh.

You should pour the fish with water out of the bag into a pail (ice cream container is good) then scoop the fish with net or your hands.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For arowanas, the shops never use nets. Instead they put the whole plastic bag in and coax the fish into it. In worse case scenarios, they knock out the fish with a sedative/tranqualizer first.

I wonder if its the same for kois.

Anyway, I had the same problem with otos and net before. Their barbels/bards/etc all face backwards. To unhook them, you have to push them forward.

Here's something to ponder... is a fine weave net or big weave net better for a fish like the oto? I'm thinking the big weave is better as the holes are bigger and the fish less likely to get stuck.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A fine weave net will be better. The big weave net will often entangle fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for fine weave nets, the fish will get stuck for good as the holes are too small to untangle. it is really up to the size of the holes against the size of the stuff that could get entangled.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, I will float the bag for 15-30min. Then I pour away the water. The fish will still be in the bag and I subsequently release the fish into the tank. No need to use any net at all. Also there's no need to use additional water to rinse the net too! Kinda saving of water usage, small volume though but at lease I save a few litre.

Ban Tse, a gentle reminder for you. The fish is not stupid mind you. It doesn't know what a net would do to it. It's the fish owner who haven't the clue to find another way to release the fish into his/her tank. Hope this tragedy has enlighten you on how to handle a fish. Just a friendly advice.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my bristlenose got struck once and I had to cut the net to release him.. Not worth the risk to let him untangle itself.. They might drown

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just net it fast enough and release it fast enough. It won't get stuck.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aeon, That's kinda arbitary, isn't it? Easier said then done, IMO. There isn't a really any kind of logical time lag before they get tangled. Heck, they could get tangled just as you scoop them up.

I think, in general, a fine weave net is not suitable for fishes with hooks and spiny fines, like armoured catfishes. A large weave will ot prevent entanglement, but is a lot easier to untangle.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have this net that is nylon and fine like a coffee filter, so I can use it to filter daphnia or brine shrinp. it works well for fish with spines.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

betta scoop

hi,
    actually its not a net that i used.
    Its those betta scoops used by people to catch their bettas.
    basically its a ladle made of waterproof cloth. I normally use it so that the fish would'nt be too stressed when i catch it (no need for the fish to get out of water). I managed to get it to a stage where only the mouth was buried in the material, up to the point where the eyes were visible, but the fish still refused to get out of the fold in the material.

i still don't understand how the fish could get stuck inside actually, since there are no visible holes in the material. Wat i do know is that the fish did have a very good grip of it even when it was dead. little wonder now how it manages to scrape the algae in our tanks.

Guess i'll have to spend more money on a replacement....

Oh yah...thanks to all you guys for the advice and comments.enlighting stuff...

Ben.

I used to have a lorhan in a plant tank and one day I notice his mouth is wide open and the gill swollen. Immediately, I transfer the LH to another tank and used the cold blood anestatic on it. To my horrer what I found stuck between his gills is the skeleton of a oto. Then I found out that oto has a very small needle like spike on both side of it head. The spike actually puncture my LH gill and causes it to swell up. So i think it might be the small spike that causes the oto to get stuck in the net .