Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What to do after a Relandscaping?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What to do after a Relandscaping?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

Need advice......

I have done a major removing (50%) & adding of new plants to my tank.

Question : Do I need to reduce my co2 & lighting hrs to adjust to the new plants intake as I see a lot of bubbling from the existing moss & other plants as after the removing the old plants, the lighting is very strong now as there is no blocking of lights from the old plants ?????

Please help for bros who have such experience.

If the PH is lower now as compare before the major removing of plants, does it mean there is excess of co2 as there is less plants intaking it ?

Thanks of the help.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    New plants may not yet be completely acclimatised to the new water environment so their photosynthesis rate will be lower than established plants.

Don't have to change the lighting hours, If you have less than the original amount of plants (nutrient intake rate should also be considered, stem plants eat more), then reduce accordingly on fertilisation and CO2. Lighting usually no need to alter. If you are detecting low pH, it may be because of the leeching of soil materials or the unassimilated CO2 so reduce the CO2 then increase gradually back to normal til your new plants take good root and put out new shoots.

Don't start fertilising too soon as the plants need some time to acclimatise.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro Aeon,

You are right on the reason for lower PH. I do agreed the plants are not settle in yet to adsorb the co2. I did none of the fertilisation except added in some micros in case of lacking for the exisiting plants. I added Tonina SP, Ludwigia sp cuba & another one (name not sure), which are all stem plants.

Thanks of the advice.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How many hrs are the lights switched on? Reduce it to 8hrs if not and slowly increase over the week.

Without the usually tall plants to shade your moss and other likes, maintaining the strong light may invite algae real soon.

CO2, light and fertilization should be altered accordingly during different phases, such as a new tank set up, heavy trimming etc.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It takes both pH and KH readings to determine whether you have enough or excess CO2. Not just either of them..

Rescaping is fine as long as you clean up the mess that is cause during the uprooting process and make sure that your plant mass does not drop too much or else you might have issues. Always keep a good amount of plant mass in the tank.

Question : Do I need to reduce my co2 & lighting hrs to adjust to the new plants intake as I see a lot of bubbling from the existing moss & other plants as after the removing the old plants, the lighting is very strong now as there is no blocking of lights from the old plants ?????
    You do not reduce the amount of CO2 in the tank regardless of how much plant load you have in there unless it is over 35ppm. Dropping the lights is optional as long as you keep up with the CO2 and nutrients. Yes, new plants does take some time to get acclimatise to the tank but personally, I still dose the same amount and remove the excess weekly through large water changes. It is better to have slight excess than to bottom out on things.

If the PH is lower now as compare before the major removing of plants, does it mean there is excess of co2 as there is less plants intaking it ?
    Check the KH...it takes both to determine the amount of CO2 in the water column. Lower plant mass can affect things but you need to be sure...always error on the higher side of things for the CO2. It does not hurt to have excess as long as the critters are fine.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am on 9 hrs lighting. Should I reduce to 8hrs?

In fact I have remove plants like Hygrophila difformis, 2 more types of plant only.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

I have check the KH & PH, it is at the range of 25-30ppm.

PH : 6.5 , KH : 3 (drops from usual 4)

Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You are fine then...just keep up on the nutrients and do weekly maintenance.

Good luck!

Regards
    Peter Gwee