Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Snail question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, can anyone tell me what type of snails are these? Are these MTS? I have started to see them lately spreading like fire in my planted tank. I made a rookie mistake and did not bleech my Christmas moss and im guessing that's where the eggs came from.

I am now planning on adding assassin snails to counterattack this problem. Fingers crossed

image.jpgimage (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Snail question

looks like ramhorn snail...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Snail question

Unable to see clearly... Could be ramshorn

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's one of those miniature ramshorn snails Gyraulus convexiusculus.

Here's a blog post with close-up photos (in Korean): http://blog.naver.com/nstdaily/150015611495

Malaysian trumpet snails brood their eggs until they hatch, so it's unlikely that you'll introduce them into your aquarium as eggs.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys, yep they do look like ramshorn, but they are quiet small. I picked up a few and crushed them for the fish to eat as their shells are quiet soft. Anyways, went to NA this afternoon and bought 4 Assassin Snails at $1.50 each. Acclimated them for about 45 mins then added them into the tank. 2 of them started wondering around the tank instantly, but the other 2 are still lying upside over in the same spot about 2 hours ago, hopefully those 2 are not dead... I'll update you all on the situation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I got them too in my tanks! Irritating i usually will remove them and throw them away. Need to quarantine the new plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay after adding the 4 Assassin snails on Sunday, sad to report that one snail died. I removed him from the tank last night. Since Sunday he was lying upside down in the same spot. I picked it up and partially its body was out but after touching it he didn't move at all. Another one has buried himself under the gravel since Monday and the remaining 2 have disappeared. I'm guessing it will take a VERY long while to get my tank cleared from those pesty ramshorn snails.

Quick update on ramshorn snails. They are multipling fast and are now seen eating my plant leaves, especially on the Anubius nanas. Im guessing the leaves are soft which they like. Now there doesn't seem to be anything stopping them!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sam, remove the snails manually whenever you see them, assassin snail is a bit slow but fairly effective...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you guys know, if this Assassin snails are easily to get breed ?

Thinking to get this too, to clean unintended small snails. But worry if it might become boomerang subsquently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What harm will these snail do? There are quite a few in my tank and leaves on plants remain intact...... I pick them outof the tank manually when I see them..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

assassin snail do breed, but only a small number of them actually reach adulthood, i managed to breed them, but most of them went missing after few days...sigh...you can sell them to other brothers in AQ if you have extras...haha

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

U can also buy "yoyo loach" a snail eating small fish. They do fine in 3-4. Can get them easily arnd here i guess. Saw then before at lhs but dunnoe where.

The loach is like a size of a guppy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think i saw this typical fish at seaview, but don't have experience and consequences that might appear with this fish.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If u have invertebretes such as shrimps, these loach will eat them. Their natural food source in the wild. So make sure your planted tanks dont have any expensive shrimps !!!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quick update on ramshorn snails. They are multipling fast and are now seen eating my plant leaves, especially on the Anubius nanas. Im guessing the leaves are soft which they like. Now there doesn't seem to be anything stopping them!
    Hmm... ramshorn snails are actually one of the most planted tank-friendly snails around, which is why they are actually sold in most LFS for $1 each....which is why I highly doubt that they were actually eating your anubias, since anubia leaves are really tough (even plecos take a while to rip holes in anubias). Maybe they were actually cleaning the algae off the leaves or eating already-rotten leaves.

I have kept ramshorn snails in my planted tank without any problem.

Feedback Score
    -1 (33%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone try the cucumber method before?

http://www.planetinverts.com/ramshorn_snail.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys. An update on the snails.

I am now seeing almost no pesty snails in the tank. Either they come out at night, but I can't seem to find any around. The Assassin snails have done a great job cleaning up the tank. What is next for them, are they able to survive without other snails? They are too slow to eat sinking pellets which get consumed instantly by other fish.