1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question on chiller

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    [quote:ab3918cd4d="Xbox Live"][quote:ab3918cd4d="anzai"]how about disclosin the info here ... since so many ppl interested including me ... [/quote:ab3918cd4d]

well, after so much consideration , bought this a week ago. Set up was easy and breeze. I set the digital temp control system to 26degC. The tank temp initially at 28degC and it took 1/2 hour to bring down to 25.8degC. It then stop and switch on again only when the temp rises to 26.2degC after almost 1 1/2 hours later. After this initial starter, it took around 15~20minutes or less to maintain 25.8 ~26.2degC.

The frequency of the chiller to be re-activated to maintain the temp to 26degC very much depends on lightings or room temp, tank size and the water flow rate.

Heat ! You can't escape from this. Find a well ventilated area for this. nevertheless i find it ok even when i place mine in the living hall.

Noise - acceptable ....hint ....My room air con is noiser. :P

Power consumption savings.... haven't receive my bill yet ....

the spec is here :

- Aquarium Capacity = 681liter
    - Ambient Temp range = 10degC~35degC
    - Flow Rate = 30liter/minute (min 30liter/max 83liter)
    - Weight = 22kg
    - Compressor = 1/5HP

hope this help for those who is still considering......
    and for those who ever own this JBJ can share......

regards

+++ a hobbyist for the hobbyist +++[/quote:ab3918cd4d]

I owned Hailea HI-380CA 1/2 HP chiller. It works pretty alright, and I set my temp to 26. It will kick in when reach 27. It will take at least 1 hr to reach 26 again, during the lighting period . I have 2 x 150 MH hanging approx 17" above the water on 6'x2'x2' planted tank.

Any idea if it is normal for this duration with these condition to cool down the water ? It will even take upto few hours to cool from 28 after water change . I asked the bioblast owner when chiller needs to top up, and his reply was only when it is not cold , but mine will chill the water, but need to confirm if it is normal.

Please advise and thanks !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    upz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I think the chiller is a little underpowered for a 6*2*2 with MH.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    a 6'x2'x2' is a big tank so don't expect your chiller to cool it in matter of minutes.
    you should be able to calculate the cooling capability. search for btu(british thermal unit) and other information. your 0.5hp chiller has a cooling power of about 371.5watts.
    a chiiler would require top-up of freon gas if it has leaked and cannot cool the water. if you worry, bring it to bioplast for a check.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO your chiller is quite under power.

To cool from 28°C to 26°C, for a 600L tank you need to remove 5016kJ of heat. The power of you chiller is only 372.9W. Assuming 100% efficiency, you will only remove about 1342.4kJ per hr. Your chiller will only capable of chilling 0.53°C per hour for a 600L tank without heat from lights. It will take 3.7 hrs to cool from 28°C to 26°C assuming no heat input from your lighting.

This will probably result in your chiller running most of the time. It may be straining on your chiller and shorten its life, IMO.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oopps.... I was wrong!

1hp of heat exchanges is not equal to 745.8W. (Damn confusing...)

In heat exchangers (chiller or heater)
    1HP = 12,000 BTU/hr= 12,660kJ/hr

Therefore, in a 600L tank, ignoring heat input from lighting/powerhead, you can achieve 1.26°C cooling per hr with a 0.5HP chiller.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c22bc8c9e3="tawauboy"]a 6'x2'x2' is a big tank so don't expect your chiller to cool it in matter of minutes.
    you should be able to calculate the cooling capability. search for btu(british thermal unit) and other information. your 0.5hp chiller has a cooling power of about 371.5watts.
    a chiiler would require top-up of freon gas if it has leaked and cannot cool the water. if you worry, bring it to bioplast for a check.[/quote:c22bc8c9e3]

BcLee,

Thanks for the calculation. I think during the lighting period to chill the water down roughly around 2+ hrs.

TawauBoy,

Are you from Tawau Sabah ? If so, I am KKBoy.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:0be1b27a26="neon"]
    TawauBoy,

Are you from Tawau Sabah ? If so, I am KKBoy.

Cheers[/quote:0be1b27a26]
    yes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question on chiller

How about installing a cooling fan in addition to the chiller? Will this help?
    Can any one comment pls. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A fan to blow at the water? Fans only help to encourage water evaporation and will only bring the temperature down to the ambient room temperature.

Most likely, your chilled water will already be below room temperature, so the fan will not help much.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question on chiller

I mean since the chiller power is not enough for such a large tank, will an additional fan reduce the work load of the chiller.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Initially, probably yes for the first few hours after you turn on the chiller for the first time. Because, the tank temperature, if it's being heated up by the lights, will be higher the ambient room temperature. The fan will help to bring the water temnperature down to ambient.

After that, any other temperature drop will be due to the work of the chiller. Assuming that the chiller can keep the temperature below the ambient, your fan will have no effect.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my case, I have a 2-ft tank with 2 fans running. It evaporate about 1 litre of water per day. By calculations, it is removing about 190kJ/h.

Using a fan with the chiller will have effect, as it is removing heat via evaporation. This will contribute to the heat removal of the tank and can reduce a little of the load on the chiller.

(Fans can cool below ambient temperature, if the rate of evaporation is higher than the rate of heat transferring into the tank. The lowest it can go is the wet bulb temperature.)

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So for a 6x2x2 tank, is it advisable to get a 1HP chiller??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d01cd7ee="bclee"]In my case, I have a 2-ft tank with 2 fans running. It evaporate about 1 litre of water per day. By calculations, it is removing about 190kJ/h.

Using a fan with the chiller will have effect, as it is removing heat via evaporation. This will contribute to the heat removal of the tank and can reduce a little of the load on the chiller.

(Fans can cool below ambient temperature, if the rate of evaporation is higher than the rate of heat transferring into the tank. The lowest it can go is the wet bulb temperature.)

BC[/quote:d01cd7ee]

Eeeek! Expert come already! (See why we made him a moderator? )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller

Now I had bought another 1 HP chiller. It is quite noisy when it runs, and the temperature keeps flip-flop and slowly climbing up. Every 3 minutes it will kick in and start to cool down the temperature to the setting . sometime even kick in before it reaches the 1 deg above the setting. Is this normal ? The cooling is damn powerful and fast , within a minute , it will chill down to the setting (1 deg difference) . After water change (assuming is 29 deg ) it can chill down from 29 deg to 26 deg within 3-5 mins.

If this 3 min interval kick in normal for the 1HP, how is its energy efficiency compare to a chiller at a small HP (1/2 HP) running over 1 month period , where the 1/2 HP does not kick in often, temperature indicator does not flip flop or climb up fast , but it runs, it will takes few hours to chill down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The kicking in of the chiller depends on the setting of the temperature controller and flowrate.

I am not sure if you can adjust the controller setting in your chiller.

BC