Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Vitamins & Minerals Dosing

Feedback Score

Vitamins & Minerals Dosing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I'm currently trying out some pandan plants in my fish tanks. With sufficient natural light from the balcony, I'm currently just dosing Dennerle S7 for both the plants and the fishes..Is this o.k for the pandan plants to survive ?

Cheers
    A Better Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have never heard of aquatic Pandanus species. They can grow with their roots in the water, but I doubt submerged foliage will survive under any circumstances.

Feedback Score
    Hi, the pandan plants are floating on the water surface by means of stylofoam so only the roots are submerge in water. So do think by adding S7 minerals will be just fine ?

Cheers
    A Better Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,

S7 only gives a mineral trace for plants & fishes. It is not good enough for plants alone but it does good to your fishes gluttony & colouring for sure. But note over a long term.

Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Terrestrial plants tend to be fairly N and P hungry. If you see the plant turning yellow or growing weaker new foliage (assuming light is sufficient), it probably will need more N and P. If you have a large fish population, that may not be an issue, but i wonder why you want to use the pandan in the first place?? Is the tank a planted tank or mostly fish setup??

Feedback Score
    Sorry, wat's N & P and how to increase that ? The pandan plants are my current experiment to see if it can helps to improve on the water quality such as reduce phosphate, nitrates, heavy metals etc ...
    A Better Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    N = Nitrogen
    P = Phosphorous

How to increse? dose with fertiliser...

Dosage: depends...
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aeon... that is so totally helpful. :P

Civic-SIR, can you please give us more details about your tank? My impression form your posts is tht you have a fish only tank, and is trying pandan plants to help improve water quality.

One good alternative is money plant. They are real hardy and are often planted with their roots in water only.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Fully aquatic plants will also take in phosphate (P) and nitrate (N), while I don't think heavy metals are a problem with local water. There are several threads on fertilisation in the adjacent sub-forum, and from them you can gather that many folks who keep planted tanks actually dose N, P and other nutrients to keep their plants in top shape. But you need to provide more data on your setup and plans so that folks here can help you better.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water purifying plant...

If you are keen to purify "dirty" water, you might like to consider water hyacinth. It thrives very well in dirty water and does a fairly decent job in removing heavy metals.

Furthermore, if you have other animals, such as chicks, ducks etc, the over-populated excess hyacinth can be converted to animal feed.

Feedback Score
    Tks all for sharing, my tanks are one 4 ft and a 3 ft and are for fish keeping only. I've heard abt money plants as they are real hardy, but understand that it's poisonous for the fishes due to some reasons, dunno how true is that ? Anyone one here has experience with money plants with fishes..?

As for the pandan plants, it's four days into the tanks now, but notice that some leaves are turning yellow...! They may not have direct sunlight but indirect sunlight for sure as I place my tanks in the balcony, so wat's the cause here ?

Tks all and Cheers
    A Better Tomorrow