Country
    England

Possible 2 foot SW tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello.
    I have always kept Freshwater fish, never marine...
    I have a 2 foot (24"x14"x12") Freshwater tank with a spawning pair of convicts in that i am going to be getting rid of soon.
    Now, due to my age, i cannot work, therefor have very little money..
    So, if possible i would like to keep my heater and filters, rather than get new ones. Is that possible?
    Also, i have been told that i do not need a protein skimmer if i do regular water changes...true?
    Is there any marine fish that are cheap, and will go nicley in a 2 foot tank?
    The tank currently has white slica sand that can be used for marine tanks also, so that does not need changing.
    Can anyone suggest a stock list for me that is:

*Cheap*
    Colourfull
    Looks good
    Entertaining
    *Cheap*

See what im getting at?[]
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    James.. sorry to get back to this topic so late.. ok.. what u want.. let me see...

while i would recommend have the biggest marine tank u can afford, i have did setup for my friend at 2ft.. but mind u.. the bigger the tank, the ease of maintenance.. and it is more stable in terms of water conditions.. it is not so volatile.. as u are currently in England and i dun know the prices there.. i can only recommend u generic product category.. get what i mean? for specific product, u need to source for it yourself.. on my side, i try to recommend the common brands and see whether u have it over there...

>>>So, if possible i would like to keep my heater and filters, rather than get new ones. Is that possible?gt;>>
    Over in england, u do get cold seasons and heater is required..go ahead and keep it.. wash it first b4 using it.. as for filter, what type are u using? anyway, throw away everything inside the filter coz the bacteria are different...

>>>Also, i have been told that i do not need a protein skimmer if i do regular water changes...true? >>>
    nope.. it is not true.. do get one or if possible, DIY.. some of the aquarists in marine forum used brands like Tunze.. and it might be a bit ex.. while i use the brand ORCA.. it works for me as well and at a fraction of their cost.. as such, my philosophy is that, as long as it does the job for u, u dun have to get the expensive ones..

>>>Is there any marine fish that are cheap, and will go nicley in a 2 foot tank?gt;>>
    well, like i said eariler, prices are different over here.. i can get a common clown or damsels at S$1.. but i think it might be a bit ex over there.. and so, u would have to check out your lfs and ask ard.. as for fishes that go nicely in 2ft.. go the those small fishes is all i can say... or keep a couple of fishes such as dwarf angels.. it also depends on your theme of your tank.. reef, fishes only or mix.. mind u.. u dun have much space once u place the live rocks in...

>>>The tank currently has white slica sand that can be used for marine tanks also, so that does not need changing.>>>
    like i mentioned in the filter issue.. replace them.. coz u have different bacteria growing in it.. and dun forget.. if u added medication inside.. most corals might not take it if it 'leak' back to the tank.. especially with copper content products..... and place the live rocks first prior to the sand.. u dun want the rocks to be unstable and would like it to be well-supported and anchored...

As for the list of fishes.. sorry mate.. u would have to take a look at them.. coz different ppl have different taste..

Lastly, i do recommend that u read up on the hobby first.. coz it is a different concept from that of FW..
    i do recommend this book called the marine aquarium by Nick Dakin.. get the book.. worst come to worst, u only spend on that book.. rather than to lose more when u discover it the hard way.. alternatively, do see if there are other books which explain how to keep a marine tank..

do read up on the following posts to get a better idea on the hobby.....

Marine Fish Only Tank

Setting up a reef tank. Plse advise

and any queries, just post here.. we will try to answer u.. i understand the contraints of a student.. afterall, me is one too!!!!
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.