Country
    Singapore

Lighting! - Need URGENT help!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi
    need help urgently! i just setup my tank on saturday, on the light but riccia did not bubble, so think my light is not strong enuf. my tank is about 10Gallons. (2/3W per gallon) so it needs about 20W-30W of lighting rite? but the lighting i bought is only 9 watt. so i need to change the light bulb, however i went to DIY shop, i was told that mine is PLS, my lighting uses different ballast. I can't find same type of buld with a higher watt, highest is only 11W which is insufficient. therefore, what can i do to get my aquarium light a higher watt? is it ok for my plants without light for 1 day(24 hours)?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun panic. It is alright to off the lights for one day.
    I dun think your ballast can support lights with a higher output. you will have to change the ballast also. Or, you can add two more lights to make up the difference. I think it is better to have a few bulbs covering the lighting needs, cos you get a better distribution than from a single bulb.

Alternatively, you can get rid of the riccia and grow low light plants using your exising setup.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

For riccia to bubble, its best that you add some liquid fertilizer and do some DIY CO2 injection.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yep i have CO2 injection and liquid fertiliser. think my lighting is not bright enuf

Feedback Score
    Hi Ray

Assuming ur other water parameters meet the needs of the riccia, yes, it wld help if u add more wattage to the lights.
    Fr ur 'story', ur light set...or more specifically ur ballast prob doesn't support lights of higher wattage. Thus u'd need to change the ballast...try to get an electronic ballast for 1x36W (or 2x36W if u wish, but need to be careful of algae breakout), and a 36W PL light tube. Shldn't cost u >$25 for everything. Do not however to check dat ur lightset housing can fit the e-ballast, etc. Ur plants can do wifout the light for 1 day...

Gd luck.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HI nizz,
    where can i go to change the ballast? the aquarium light is BOYU so not sure if can.

Feedback Score
    Hi Ray

Boyu...i know dat brand...
    If u can, bring ur lightset to Nature at Balestier (opp. Thomson Medical Centre) & ask Chan if it can be done. U can get the parts fr him & do it urself, or get his help to do it for u for a nominal fee (but u'd need to come again to collect the light fr him another day...i did the mod myself...not very difficult).

Where do u stay btw?

Nizz

ray: I"ve a 20 gallon tank, and I get bubbling at 36x2W. so maybe you need at least 36w since yours is a 10gal tank? and don't worry about bubbling, just use your current light first while you source for a bigger W light. bubbling occurs when oxygen is produced at a rate far greater than normal (hyper-something can't rem) ie. just cuz you can't see bubbles doesn't mean your plant isn't healthy or phtosynthesizing, just that the o2 produced is so tiny you can't see it, or it's dissolved immediately. don't panic! your plants are still living healthily!

PS. I suggest you visit nature LFS to check out the PL lights there cuz 1)he sells 36W PL lights so neater than having to buy 2x18W lights and 2) he sells ballast and PL tubes and clips and watever you need to modify your current light if you want to save $$$ and modify your current light and 3) you can check out how he modifies his own lights.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Nizz,
    Thanks for your advice, valuable to me. I heard of Nature, but is it open today? i called them but no answer, what time do they open? how much is it roughly? yesterday i thought of going there but don know if can get it done

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi hoppinghippo,

Thanks for your advise too. it's becos of the rule 2-3W per gallon, so i intend to use about 20-30W only. i wonder if my aquarium light casing can take that heat from 36W. abit worried. how much is it roughly to get the lights modified? i'd rather that he change for me and have it tested there. would love to see my riccia bubble.

Feedback Score
    Hi Ray

Sorry...can't help u there on the opening times, but they shld be open today, unless they close for school holidays? Hahaha.... Maybe Simon or someone else can help here?
    As for how much, i'm not too sure, but the equipmt alone is abt $25...maybe he adds $10 to $20 more for his labour...dunno....

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Sorry....double posting....

Hi Ray

snip...snip....

Nizz

I have the Boyu 2ft light too. The e-ballast is too big to be fitted inside the caing. What I did when I mod my light is leave the ballast outside.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    3W per Gallon is not a rule rather a guide. Some lights do produce poor level of lumens (measure of light).

I do agree that the light you have now is insufficient. Consider bringing the lights to Nature. I'm sure Chan can help you with it.

Don't worry about the tank without lights. Mine have ever gone 5 days without lights.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just called nature, open from 12-8 mon to sat.
    Now i'm very confused:
    i have 3 options:
    1)go to nature: $45 (from Chan) for modifying
    2)buy another set of same light: $25 (change to 11W so give total of 22W)
    3)buy items and fix on my own: ~$20
    so what should i do?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    spend the $$, relax and enjoy your plants... $$ can be earned, stress is hard to get rid of
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wahhaha...when u no money you get more stress... Ray just get a light set 36x1 will do the job for u.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Hi Ray
    I wldn't go wif (2) if i were u. Go wif (3) if u r slightly 'adventurous' & wanna get some self-satisfaction. Alternatively, u can check out the lightsets dat Chan (Nature) has at his shop...it might be more worthwhile (& faster). U can then keep ur 11W lightset for other low-light tanks. Watever it is, remember to bring ur lightset there...

Just my 2cents worth...

Nizz

----------------
    On 3/11/2002 1:27:33 PM

I just called nature, open from 12-8 mon to sat.
    Now i'm very confused:
    i have 3 options:
    1)go to nature: $45 (from Chan) for modifying
    2)buy another set of same light: $25 (change to 11W so give total of 22W)
    3)buy items and fix on my own: ~$20
    so what should i do?
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If for me, I'll buy the part and do myself. But that me, cos I love to DIY or modify my stuff.

Buying another set would mean that you'll need space to mount the new fitting. During tank maintenance, it would be troublesome to remove the lights.

Me just suggest only. The best person who can answer you is yourself.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,
    it means that i need to buy a new ballast and a new pl tube with higher wattage. New ballast to cater for higher wattage pl tube. Sad to say that i'm afraid to DIY cos i made my whole house black out once, and another instance when i'm in school. dealing with electricity stuff is not my forte. So how about i go to a hardware shop, will get ballast and tube there and get the shop owner help me fix up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast