Country
    Singapore

Riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

another thing is that it's very difficult to be my riccia totally submerged,lying completely on the gravel. how can i make it sink completely, making it lying just on top of the gravel? thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tie riccia to a tile, wire mesh, stone, driftwood... or anything that is heavy enough to sink. Riccia do not have roots to stick itself into the gravel. The new growth from Riccia will eventually cover the thing it was tied to.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tot they dont grow roots ? And hence cannot cling on to anything , only being held in place by what you tie it with ?
    Correct me if I'm wrong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can use Sinking Riccia. Saw the very nice effect created using this at Nature Aquarium.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry... it is a typo... it should be it will NOT grow roots to stick in the gravel.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/11/2002 11:02:57 AM

Can use Sinking Riccia. Saw the very nice effect created using this at Nature Aquarium.
    ----------------
    Actually... has anyone actually witnessed that this sinking riccia type does really sink?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes it does. See for yourself at Nature Aquarium.
    The colour is darker like Java Moss. And it doesn't bubble like floating Riccia.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very tempted anything for a nice lawn effect. Does Chan sells them in loose form so that I can net them on my own ? Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/11/2002 3:41:04 PM

Very tempted anything for a nice lawn effect. Does Chan sells them in loose form so that I can net them on my own ? Thks.
    ----------------
    Must ask Chan yourself..... FYI, this sinking Riccia is not brightly coloured green as the floating version. See for yourself whether you like it or not b4 getting it.

CK,
    Yes, riccia do not have roots. However, when you net it, they will try to grow thru the holes. While they are doing this the riccia will kinda entangle themselves below the netting thus clinging on to the net. But after a long period, the riccia will grow out of the net and detach from the net. Actually I gave up Riccia because of this reason.

Actually to avoid the riccia from detaching away of the net, regular trimming should be done (like a haircut). But as you know, I only tend to my tank only once a month.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The sinking riccia is normal riccia that has lost its floating characteristics. Quoted from Tropica

Under certain circumstances, Riccia develops a dark green, transparent form that lacks aerenchyma or air filled pores. This form is heavier than water and sinks to the bottom of the aquarium. The heavy, dark green form is though to be a hibernating winter form since it avoids freezing by sinking to the bottom.
    it doesn't really detach from the net. the thing is that it grow soo thick that light cannot get to the part of the plant that is tied down... so it rots and looses its anchor, so the whole mass of plant floats up. It is inevitable that Riccia will eventually float. You can delay this by weight it down with gravel placed on top or trimming. trimming is vey messy. You get thousands of small pieces floating around the tank... those who done it before will know what I mean.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup... i didn't trim my riccia for more than a month... since i planted it under wire mesh on the log... then now riccia very nice and bushy but the part of it that the light cannot reach has turned yellow and is melting... so very soon i'm gonna have big bunch of riccia floating around me tank!!!

amano trims his tanks almost daily.. the riccia is always trimmed just enough so that light penetrates deep enough to allow the bottom riccia from turning yellow, but long enough to make it look good. I can't even begin to think how much trimming (or even how!) is required in those large tanks in his books carpeted by the stuff. Abviously this dosn't even count the time it takes to make the stuff stay down in the first place!!

Casey