Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: \"bring your own and compete\" ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dubai

\"bring your own and compete\" ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I would like to gather feedback on how's the general opinions and comments if say we hold a competition whereby individual contestants bring their own tanks, equipments, livestock + plants and setup, waiting to compete other contestants. This might come true in the coming Juzpets exhibition in August.
    So, anything to say?
    aQuaLabs in the making...

I think the organiser should provide the tanks, equipments and plants, livestocks. Why? It will turn people off. Who will want to bring their own tanks? Imagine you need to tear down your tank if you do not have a spare one. Or buy a new tank!! Is it worth all the trouble if the prize is not so fantastic. Imagine bringing a 3 feet tank to the competition. You will need a lorry or van. It will not fit in a car. What about the other equipments. logistics will be an issue.

The other thing is you will need to go source for the plants you want to setup and make sure they are in good condition before the competition. IMO this is quite a lot of work. I would not go through so much for a competition

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A nano-tank may be possible but I seriously doubt anyone would want to go through carrying bags of gravels, his 2ft, lights and all, set it up and rip it down at the end of the day.

Furthermore, plants have to grow in before they really look their best and that may take weeks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It could be possible if the tank size is restricted and plant choices limited to less dynamic plants like java ferns, nana etc.

IMO, nano tank is difficult to use as competition size. Not many can scape so nicely, esp in a very small tank. Therefore, at least a 1ft cube. But its heavy to carry around with sand inside.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: \"bring your own and compete\" ?

Let me be brutally honest: It's a bloody bad idea. In cost, practicality, logistics, risk of damage and losses AND the sheer fact that planted tanks usually take at least a few weeks to look their best.

If Juzpets is going to be anything like that recently held show at SingExpo, I wish you all the best....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the host should provide the tank, sand, plants and lights for the competition. This will ensure that creativity and knowledge of the plants are fully tested. Then as Budak says, tank looks best when it stables, so the judging will take place 2 weeks after the setup. In that mean time, a special person will dose and take care of the tanks. All tanks will receive the same photoperiod and kept in the same environment

that's just my 2.1514 cents.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's something like"Reality TV" that rewards a $million, I would pit mine against the best in the world, Amano Takashi included!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    unless you are takashi amano, you would have to lug heavy equipment around looking like a fool.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dubai
    alright, thanks for all the feedback.
    so a competition with Nanos more plausible?
    another thing is that the judges would not be anyone who's professional or anything, it would be a poll instead, how's that?
    something like American idol hehehe...
    there would be a competition for marine tanks as well...
    prizes should be very attractive, maybe a chiller or something related to the hobby per se...
    anything else to add guys?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dubai
    guys. what if at the end of the day, you could auction away your prize winning tanks at a profit earning price?
    this is excluding the prizes for the winning tank.
    just wana try to do something like the TV champion thingy....
    the prizes again could be a chiller, MH, or filters...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dubai
    The contest could start off with 2footers supplied by contestants themselves. Then the 2nd stage and further stages will consist of bigger tanks supplied by sponsors.
    But with a twist, i.e contestants will have similar sets of plants to work with, and the ultimatum is to see them pit their aquascaping skills with those sets of plants.
    any more ideas and comments?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remembered seeing something like a mini or macro planted tank (1/2 feet or smaller). Competitor will have to show off their creative idea on decoration, maintainance, plant selection, DIY filter, CO2 injection and so on. I feels that that will be more fun and I enjoyed looking into each creative tanks. Competitor can setup the tank at home and show it off on the day of the competition.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San