Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chiller FAQ

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys, is chiller the only option if i want to keep my tank at 25degC constant ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

I need some help.

I am keeping pinto shrimps, and red wine shrimps, I've failed many times due to the cooling capacity of the a peltier cooling, had the pump failing, hoses end melt and hose come off etc, my water is keep at 25 degree C, but the last 3 months temperature in my room is like 32-35 degree C, and water in my tank from 32-40 degree C if the chiller failes.

I have a 3.4Gallon tank (16L) i'm considering the Resun mini-200

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=13#detail

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...c00cDECs2&mp=1

I'm using a DIY Peltier setup with 3 peltier and double cooling, every thing is working fine, just too many hoses and high electric bill.

Will the Resun mini-200 be OK, or is it too powerful for my tank, I have a sun sun canister filter at 1000L, but due to the size of the hose, the water output is greatly reduced.

I have 5 shrimps in the tank, it's been living from 22nd October upto now.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

Does anyone know how many watts does the Hailea HC100A operate at.

With all these chillers can the water reservoir be cleaned.
    Last edited by kms; 3rd Nov 2019 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hailea HS28A or HK100 ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry i had to reply to my own questions haha..
    Ok I just bought the 28A after convincing myself from this forum and youtube review.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

I didn't get a answer, I so I placed a order for a Hailea HC130a

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi

I will be getting my first chiller, would appreciate if seniors around could provide advice on whether a new chiller need any kind of flushing? Apparently to flush out any contaminants inside the chiller tank.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Newbie Humble
    I ran the chiller with dechlorinated water in a pail.
    Just to make sure no loose dirt or manufacturing contaminants inside.
    Then I was a little concerned with the water inside so i use mouth to blow one end of the chiller to squirt the remaining water out.
    But i think i am over cautious.
    Running the chiller outside doesn't mean anything. I just want to make sure the chiller works before i plumber it into my filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My chiller 1.1 amp
    Power = 260W
    Per day it runs 10 minutes twice every hour
    So 1 hour draws 85W
    One day = 2000W
    One month = 60kW
    Tuas power charge 18 cents per kWh
    Elect bill for chiller = $11-$12 extra

In simple terms,
    1 Amp chiller cost $10
    2 Amp chiller cost $20
    Figures are simplified and round off for simplicity to read.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and quite new to keeping fish and having a planted tank.

Could use some advice since purchasing a Hailea HS28A chiller if anyone can help.

I have a:
    1. 75L tank, 60cm(L) x 30cm(W) x 40cm(H)
    2. Dophin C700 canister filter with a flow rate of 1520L/Hr
    3. Hailea HS28A chiller as stated with required flow rate of 250 - 1200L/Hr as stated by specs.
    4. No reactor.

My room temperature fluctuates between 28 to 30 degrees celsius. There's always a difference between the water temperature and the chiller indicated temperature of about 1-1.3 degrees (because of the inbuilt thermometer located in chiller as I've gathered).
    But no matter what temperature I set the chiller to (24 degrees to 26 degrees), it always kicks in every 18 to 25 minutes and runs for anywhere between 2 to 5 minutes. So it kicks in 2 to 3 times every hour.

It seems to kick in way too often. The guy at East Ocean Aquatic said that my canister filter should have more than enough flow to run this chiller optimally even after factoring in reduced flow rate (due to the media, etc).

So I have no idea why it still kicks in so often. Is this normal?

Appreciate any ideas and advice that anyone might have. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

connect a external temp. probe and put it into the main tank, no modification needed, just disconnect the exsisting probe, under the disply from a clip on connector, then you tank should work more accurate.
    I have a haila HC-130A, they both have the same connector. I set mine at 24c, and the cooler kicks in at 25c every time, and kicks off at 24, final temp is around 23.8c-23.9c.

For your problem is the reading is from the temp in the chiller, it does not reflect the temp of the actual tank, just add a external probe, it should sort out the problem.

post 672

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/94012-URGENT-Chiller-Problem?highlight=external+thermostat
    Last edited by kms; 30th Jan 2020 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

erm...i think I just solved it.

My chiller is located outside my cabinet at the side. Previously, I had the back end of the chiller facing the cabinet which the tank sits on, with the outlet and inlet tubes above the space where the hot air gets blown out of the chiller. When the hot air rises, it heats up both tubes.

So I just turned the chiller 180 degrees around and now my chiller kicks in every 45-60 minutes and stays on for 5 minutes on average each time. Would never have thought that the hot air rising would make that much of a difference, the chiller is located in a very well ventilated area.

Sorry to bother anyone! Hopefully others might learn from my folly!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

hi

may i ask if these peltier chiller are hazardous for shrimps? thks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking of getting a chiller for my tank, probably Artica because reviews say it is quieter. I would actually like to plug it into a timer so that at certain times of the day, the chiller is not on at all so that is no chance of the chiller kicking in and causing distracting noises. Part of it is due to work from home.

May I know generally or specifically for Artica, if I have a timer that switches power off, when power comes on again, does the chiller turn on and 'remember' the last temperature setting? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

I would think you should just let the chiller do its thing, interferring with the temperature control, will damage it, all chiller is made similar so the noise similar, I have the haila HC-130A, whiles I don't think it's loud, some people do, you should do some research whether the probe is easy to replace if damage, I know all the haila are, and inexpensive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by decimal86 View Post
    hi

may i ask if these peltier chiller are hazardous for shrimps? thks
    Not dangerous, but does not work well unless you customs DIY one, the problem is the Watts power used is more expensive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Turning on n off a chiller is not ideal. What if u need to work the whole day? I think you won’t get distracted by chiller sound.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    May I know generally or specifically for Artica, if I have a timer that switches power off, when power comes on again, does the chiller turn on and 'remember' the last temperature setting? Thanks
    Most of the chillers have a temperature probe. So there is not need to remember the last temperature. Once switched on, the probe will feed the new "Current" temperature to the chiller and it continue from there.

If you are sensitive to the louder noise of the chiller, perhaps during the working day, you can have a set of fans to help with the daytime temperature.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice. I got the Artica Mini chiller for my 60cm tank and it is relatively quiet.

These few weeks my indoor room temperature can hit 30 degrees and water temps are something like 29.5 degrees. This is my first chiller so I am starting cautiously by setting the chiller to 28 degrees to provide a 1-2 degree cooldown... don't want to overwork the chiller by setting unrealistic temp setting when the daytime air temp is so hot...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

need some advice. planning to start 45cm tank with HS100A for CRS shrimp.

which pump will be suitable without causing stress to the shrimp?

Thanks!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011